“Great Family Vacation!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Florblanca Resort

Save Saved
You added Florblanca Resort to your Saves list
Florblanca Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   4 KM North of Franks Place | Cobano, Santa Teresa 1315361, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
Summertime Specials
Ranked #11 of 25 hotels in Santa Teresa
Encinitas, California
“Great Family Vacation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Our family is quite busy and I always look forward to our summer vacation. We were in Costa Rica for two weeks and stayed in some very nice places "Grano de Oro" in San Jose & the "lost Iguana" in Mt. Arenal. And while I highly recommend those places and they are very nice hotels....this is above and beyond.

I'm from southern california and lived in the bay area for five years, so I have been to beautiful beaches. But this setting for a hotel was among the most dramatic and breathtaking I've ever seen. We were the only people on this huge, crescent shape beach and the hotel is discretely tucked in amid the palms.

Although it is right on the beach, there is security and I found this out when the strong waves appeared to be pulling me out and two big men emerged....but I made it out without embarrassing myself. So they are there, despite the rather open feel from the beach side.

We were driven all around Costa Rica because driving would have been a nightmare and we visited various areas. Mal Pais was our favorite. We stayed at a surf camp a little down the road and then were picked up in a black Suburban with drinks and beer in a little cooler. The young man driving was very polite and nice and I want to say that his english wasn't that great. No worries though, I spoke my Spanish and my family loved him. On time, helpful and the transition from arriving to check-in to getting the bags in the "room" was seamless.

We were greeted with watermellon juice (?) or something like that. I thought that was a nice touch and it was good. The resort is rather small, with 17 or so "villas" interspersed throughout the stunning property. Ours consisted of a living and dining room that opened onto a beautiful patio with a hammock. Everything is very indoor-outdoor and the main living areas DO NOT have AC, but you don't need it. The bedrooms, however, do have AC and my brother & I shared a room and were fine at night.

The beds are fantastic....I want one! The "villa" is beautiful and unique....and I love the outdoor shower! It's very private and yet the room service will be there in an instant and it's just a short walk to the amazing pools (one flows into the other) that are pretty big....and the beach of course!

The food is fantastic as well. Everything is fresh and healthy, which is nice....and the fish eaten was caught that day and it sure tasted that way. I can't say enough about the restaurant....sometimes, you get tired of hotel food....but not here! We didn't leave for one meal.

There was no need to! What sets this hotel apart is the service. Even if all 17 (or so) villas were taken up, it would still be very intimate and special. When we were there, in August, there were only two other groups there.

I wouldn't really recommend this hotel for those traveling with small kids...it just seems that this is a place where couples come for romantic getaways. My brother and I were older (17 & 22), so it was fine and we're not that wild. I also think that the guests appreciate the peace and quiet.

It is also not exactly easy to get to. We got there via our van because we were seeing the different places along the way, but the roads were far from well kept and it just took a while. So keep that in mind.

It also might be worth the time and hassle to get a private charter to fly you out of the local "airport", which is an experience by itself. It's a little one runway strip in a lush valley....pretty cool if you ask me! And an hour later, you're in San Jose.

I'm sure they can arrange all that for you and recommend the best people because this resort is the BEST!

It was so sad when we had to leave, but we vowed to come back! It's out of the way and not very big, but that's what makes it special. The setting is breathtaking: right ON a stunningly beautiful beach.

We traveled during August, which is the low season and the "rainy" one, but it didn't rain that much. Only short bursts and we did plenty of outdoor things.....which is the last thing I'll mention:

However adventure minded you are....they'll set you up. Whether you are just going to sit by the pool and read, they'll tend to you there. Or if you want to go surfing or ATV riding or whatever....they can do it.

They can pretty much do it all and it's this "can do" attitude which makes this place a hidden gem.

A true five star experience.

And if the manager reads this review, please thank not only your excellent staff at the restaurant/pool/entry but also housekeeping. They did a great job and went truly above and beyond. They should be commended....I was amazed at how great all of your team was.

I'd say it's mainly for families with older, responsible (read: not loud and no backflips into the pool) kids, couples and I'm sure weddings would be breathtaking here.

Room Tip: Just call and ask....they're more than happy to help with anything.

205 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Woodland Hills, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

What an experience! This resort is amazing. The staff was extremely accommodating and very friendly. We had a wedding party of 38 people staying for a week. We all enjoyed our food, our drinks (yeah to the bartenders), and the ambiance was amazing. This was the perfect atmosphere for my daughter's wedding. In the middle of jungle right by the ocean ~ so relaxing. Everything went without a hitch ~ from arrival, to villa accommodations, restaurant, bar, rehearsal dinner, wedding and reception.

Room Tip: All villas were secluded ~ so just pick one! Can't go wrong. Amazing
ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

We were staying at a wonderful private house down the beach but we were happy we stopped in to check Florblanca out. We had lunch there a few times and all of the food was wonderful. The yoga was the best and the bar and drinks were great. The staff was helpful and friendly. A must see if in the area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
FlorblancaManager, Manager at Florblanca Resort, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
Muchas Gracias for your review on our Restaurant Nectar and our Florblanca Yoga. Nectar Restaurant is indeed a highlight to the Florblanca experience, and are glad to hear you enjoyed our food. WIth the freshest ingredients daily and the beach front setting, we agree it is a stellar dining spot. Yoga has been central to Florblanca since we opened. Again, thanks for joining our classes. We hope to see you again someday at Florblanca.
Columbus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

My wife and I recently went on our honeymoon to Florblanca. To find the place I researched the best beaches in the world, then found a place we could afford to fly. I read 1000's of reviews trying to find the prefect place. Everywhere has reviews pumping them up, but only florblanca had essentially 0 negative reviews. Look people do not go to the jungle if you are worried about seeing a bug. Bug's live in the jungle, but above and beyond that the house keeping staff always kept our room in perfect condition and left the room feeling warm, clean and inviting. The room were amazing, the bedrooms are air conditioned and de-humidified and the grounds are immaculate and spectacular, cannot say enough about the condition of the resort.
The restaurant is the best in all of Santa Teresa, Spencer is very warm and a spectacular chef as well, we did not get to meat the rest of the staff in the kitchen, but my thank you's go out to them as well as I know they played a large part in our time staying there. The bar and wait staff was my favorite part. Berneth, Laura, Oscar, Fernando, Alonso and Guadalupe are some of the kindest and friendliest people I have ever met. Berneth and Fernando behind the bar is always a welcoming good time, and excellent company (Aidios Mio!!!) Laura, Trish and Guadalupe are equal parts beautiful, kind, and warm as our servers. Oscar will never stop smiling and laughing, and Alonso made sure we never had to want for anything. these people make the resort what it is and they truly made our vacation! The front desk Staff is amazing, helping with excursions with Pablo ( he is the best tour guide I have ever had anywhere in the world) and Christian does a phenomenal job managing the resort.
The beach is breathtaking the scenery phenomenal, but I want you to go to this resort to feel the love of the people who work here. we went surfing, ziplining, waterfall jumping, snorkeling, and more. we will absolutely take our next vacation here.
I know I ahve only written one review but please do not take this as a ploy to increase their rating they earned every star they have and the people who complain about bugs or loud air conditioners should go stay at sandals somewhere because Florblanca Is pure paradise!!!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Ad Dawha, Ad Dawhah, Qatar
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

What a great little boutique resort. My girlfriend and I stayed for 3 nights and we were definitely not disappointed. Now, when they tell you this is the most expensive resort in the area - they weren't kidding. It was still a great stay. The hotel grounds were amazing. The pool and beach area are very nice. Plus, they have surfboards and boogie boards for you to use for free. I have to warn you to not swim just outside the resort as it's a great BEACH - but the water is very rocky. You just have to walk down, around the corner to a good swim area. I wasn't a huge fan of the "open-air" style of the rooms, but at the same time, it was like no place I've ever stayed in before. The bedrooms are closed off and air-conditioned so don't worry about that, though. It's definitely a place I would recommend more for couples than families, but it's a great place to stay regardless of who you're with.
Even if you don't stay at the resort, I still recommend going to their restaurant and spa. I loved all the food in the restaurant (especially after a week of eating Beans and Rice). I definitely recommend the Banana Bread French Toast for breakfast - Delicious! The spa was also amazing - we had a couples massage that just had us melting into the tables.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I spent 6 days with family at Florblanca for my wedding recently. It was like a dream, I could not have asked for a more welcome, comfortable, relaxing, exotic, beautiful place. I brought the entire family to celebrate our wedding ceremony and everyone had a true vacation. We were treated like family and long time friends from the moment we arrived. The staff is incredibly sweet and very helpful. They always have smiles and willing to go above and beyond. Cody Dillon, the manager, is a magical creature who made every single moment perfect. She is extremely helpful, kind, generous and very good at her job. It was more like a good friend organizing the wedding, dinners, flowers, any and everything. I can't thank them all enough. The entire family felt like they were well taken care of and my husband and I felt like we were dreaming. Everything is so luxurious yet rustic and feels like home. All the villas are beautiful personal homes with hammocks, A/C bedrooms and indoor/outdoor bathrooms that I want at my house! You feel like you are living in the rain forest and deep breaths come at every inhale. The beds are more comfortable that ANY bed I have slept in! Every night we went back and found our bedroom was set up with lit candles, bed covers pulled down, shades drawn and could feel the love left from staff. The property is breathtaking and the food/drinks are amazing! I miss Billy's cooking! We followed up this stay with a popular 5 star big hot spring hotel in Arenal...and the minute we were greeted, we wanted to go back to Florblanca. It did not compare one bit. We felt like just another number and were left to fend for ourselves. The staff, the food and the rooms didn't compare to Florblanca at all. I highly recommend Florblanca for ANY occasion. You will relax, rejuvenate, fall back in love, heal, reflect, and be ready for whatever life brings you as you go back to your "real life".

Dear Valerie and Cass,
Congratulations on your marriage! It was so wonderful to meet you, host your wedding, and spend a week with your closest friends and family. What a fun and loving group you all were. Our entire staff enjoyed every minute of your week long celebration and we cannot wait to have you back. At Florblanca, we love hosting weddings, and guests like you make it so special. Thank you for letting us be a part of your wedding. We will forever remember it. We expect you back soon for an anniversary celebration! The entire staff sends their love. Pura Vida.
saint louis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We stayed at Florblanca three nights with our teenage children and I would highly recommend the hotel for active families. We stayed in our own spacious room with a separate living room and porch (bedroom has A/C that is loud but works very well). The room was well decorated, the outer shower/bath was very comfortable and the outside sitting area was a perfect spot to watch the howler monkeys in the morning. The kids stayed in the more rustic surf house on the water and they loved it. The food was very good and the restaurant did an excellent job of preparing fish my husband caught that day. I had a great massage and the spa was very nice-- nicer than you would expect for this remote location. The surf is high and not for young children but there is more quiet surf 15 minutes by car from the hotel. The bike ride into town is a bit bumpy but a nice way to see the area. The town is a rustic surf town full of hostels and small restaurants. We had two meals in town and they were both very good.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Florblanca Resort? Share your experiences!