“The best!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Florblanca Resort

Save Saved
You added Florblanca Resort to your Saves list
Florblanca Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   4 KM North of Franks Place | Cobano, Santa Teresa 1315361, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #12 of 25 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Los Angeles, California
“The best!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

There are so many amazing things to say about Florblanca, its tough to figure out where to start!

First of all, Costa Rica as a country is an unbelievable place to visit: beautiful, safe, fresh food, the nicest people you'll ever meet, breathtaking beaches, ridiculous jungles, wildlife everywhere you look, and just a overall welcoming vibe. Mal Pais, where Florblanca is located, takes these elements to another level, and then there is the hotel itself...

I had been to Costa Rica many times in the past for surf trips with buddies, and had stayed in Mal Pais on one trip, but had never been to Florblanca. This summer, after a long stint at work, my girlfriend (who had never been to Costa Rica) and I decided to treat ourselves. We'd been told by friends how amazing it was, but were in no way prepared for just how perfect an experience it would be.

As soon as we arrived everything we came across surpassed our expectations. The staff operated with that perfect balance of being there to help when you needed them, but without ever being intrusive. Whenever we needed anything, they went out of their way to help, securing ATVs for us, tipping us off to local spots, arranging for a prescription when we needed one last minute, and taking us out for tennis!! Christian and Cindy in particular were amazing, and became good friends by the end of the trip. And Cody, who manages the hotel, took care of us from afar until arriving at the very end of our stay to have a drink with us and one last surf session.

In terms of the accommodations, each room is essentially a private house, with open air living rooms, open air bathrooms, and air conditioned bedrooms. Often times hotel websites have misleading pictures of rooms, so we were shocked when we realized the pictures actually fall short of how beautiful the rooms really are.

The hotel grounds are equally impressive. Immaculate landscaping, a gorgeous pool, a high-end bar and restaurant, a yoga facility, and just a jaw-dropping spa (again, the pics don't do it justice).

For the first few days we ended up eating all of our meals at the hotel, basically enjoying our surroundings and getting used to it all. Once we were ready to venture out, Christian and Cindy told us about a bunch of other great restaurants nearby, and we hit all of them - found a great breakfast spot, a romantic restaurant up in the hills for dinner, and a sushi restaurant nestled in the jungle run by a Japanese surfer (Koji - so good!!)

We stayed for eight days total, and I can say with certainty that its the best trip either of us have been on. The setting, the hotel, and the people (again, thank you Christian, Cindy and Cody!!!) made it a place we'll return to as often as we can.

With much appreciation,

Jon & Joanna

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Long Valley, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

I am writing this kind of late since we stayed at the Florblanca in April of this year. My wife, 2 children (10 and 14) and 86 yo father took a trip to CR and stayed there after a visit to Arenal (we drove everywhere). My father moves very very slowly and it was certainly an adventure just getting him to the airport gates at Newark, much less driving everywhere in Costa Rica. He's also very particular and set in his ways. When we arrived at the Florblanca I was very concerned because the are some small hills to get to the beach/pool and back, and to the parking area, and he doesn't do well for even short distances on a flat surface. This could easily have been the disaster of all disasters if not for the staff at the Florblanca. Our villa was right off a back service road and there was a small parking area for one vehicle and they let us park there. This made getting him around so much easier. Another small negative, partially related to the fact that we were there during a particularly hot hot period, was there is no AC in the main area of the villas (though the bedrooms have AC for sleeping) and though I initially did wish we had AC throughout our villa, the open design does not allow it. This was more noticeable the first day as we arrived mid afternoon when it was hottest. My father was none too happy that we did not have a.c. or t.v. and I think the kids were also a little disappointed too. I however was not. Over the next several days we found it was not that hot in the a.m. and p.m. and we were at the pool during the afternoon, so it didn't matter (and the charm of the open air villas would have been certainly lost if they were enclosed for AC). And then the magic of the place set in. We got up early and my son would sit in the hammock, reading a book!, while the adults would sit overlooking the forest and have their coffees and also read. We had lizards crawl along our villa wall and in the evening, right at sunset, the jungle would start to hum with a crescendo high pitched noise (no doubt some type of cricket or bug) that would fill the air in a cacophony of sound. On the first two nights a family of 12-14 howler monkeys made a slow procession through the tree right outside our villa to one just below where we stayed. The pool was beautiful, the staff arranged for private surfing lessons for my son and myself and I was so taken with the area that I looked at lots in the hills. Too bad I didn't have the funds. I used to live in Hawaii and Santa Teresa has the feel of what it must have been like in Hawaii decades ago. It's has a one horse wild west feel but we dined at restaurants where the proprietors were from Argentina and other far off places, having brought their local cuisine to Costa Rica. When I mentioned my father wished we had TV for news the staff printed copies of the international papers for him to read. I would highly recommend Costa Rica and the Florblanca. I had considered going to the Dominican Republic for a nice stay at a beach all inclusive hotel but we had the adventure of a life in CR and stayed at a fabulous resort. I thank them for that and hope some day to go back.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

My husband and I recently returned from our honeymoon in Costa Rica. We were there for two weeks and stayed at numerous hotels- including the Four Seasons- and Florblanca was far and away the best experience we had during our trip. The small villas, the stunning spa, the incredible food, and the overall vibe were beyond our expectations.

The villas are spacious and romantic, the hammock really sealed the deal for us. It was raining almost everyday and being able to read while listening the waves and relaxing with my new hubby on the veranda was incredibly romantic and special. The villas are super clean and neat and it truly felt like we had our own little home in Costa Rica! The open air bathrooms were wonderful and reading some of the reviews on this site- honestly, its Costa Rica and things stay damp. If you bring in your wet bathing suits to the main bedroom and lay them out there they will dry- NBD.

I surfed everyday on Hermosa beach, did some super fun shopping in Mal Pais and practiced yoga every morning with the exceptional Stefano. There was so much to do and see and experience that the time just flew by- yet another reason why we cannot wait to come back.

What really stood our about the hotel was how personal the service was. I felt like I was home, which is super important to me. I could ask the staff for anything and rest assured I would get it, but also I felt like I could stop and chat with them and ask about the favorite local spot to eat. Everyone who worked there- from Spencer the Executive Chef at Nectar, the therapists at Bambu, the waitstaff and the concierge made the trip memorable and exceptional. The level of service and overall hospitality was really outstanding and it is one of the reasons why we are definitely going to return!

Room Tip: Villa 1- right on the beach1 Has the most privacy and killer views!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

Love.

The moment we stepped into Florblanca was like a dream. Florblanca, meaning white flower coveted all over the enchanted wonderland as you enter. Exotic salamanders, monkeys, and little crabs welcome you home in this rainforest haven. We stayed in the honeymoon suite which was on the beach, just footsteps away from paradise. The honeymoon suite was covered with little pink petals and each night there were chocolate gems and candles lit when we returned from surfing and flower picking. Read and sketch on your own luxurious hammock (outdoor and indoor) and choose from many books in your downstairs powder room. Or, daydream on your private tundra upstairs with the monkeys and watch the waves watching you and your lover dance the moonlit night away.

Esteban and Cody were delightful catering to our needs whenever needed, welcoming us with ice tea and gave us a detailed tour of the restaurant and gorgeous spa when we arrived. They were so helpful and help made the week perfect. I actually left my top behind and Cody mailed it back to New York! Thank you Florblanca!

This would not have been possible if it weren't for my dear Rob. For the most romantic non-honeymoon honeymoon, incredible birthday surprise, most memorable 3rd date ever.
♥ HSH Florblanca ♥

Love,
Nami and Rob
Nashville/Houston/NYC

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

Words cannot begin to describe the imaginings of FlorBlanca! My husband and I renewed our wedding vows in his beautiful land of enchantment - it was astonishing to say the least! Renewing our vows was a surprise for my husband and the staff at FlorBlanca kept it a secret throughout all of our planning. My husband, who doesn't show emotion often, was overwhelmed with the surprise ceremony and was fighting back the tears and emotions when reciting his vows! Everything about FlorBlanca exceeded our wildest expectations! The service we received began even before we arrived at this incredibly beautiful resort in Costa Rica and it continued throughout our stay. FlorBlanca made us feel so special throughout our entire stay. The privacy between villas makes a person feel as though they are the only ones on a deserted island with a fabulous staff of people to make them comfortable. Cody, the general manager, created the most stunning setting for us to exchange our vows on the property and we are indebted to her for officiating our celebration (my heart still flutters and my eyes still weap when I re-live that special night at FlorBlanca with Cody). Our anniversary dinner followed our vow exchange that evening and was celebrated by the pool in the private dojo - it was an unbelievable reality! The ocean provided the backdrop and the flowers and candles in the dojo provided the magic. Spencer, the chef, took the time to visit us and introduce himself to us. What a great guy! He even went so far as to prepare some special appetizers for us as a surprise which we devoured immediately - they were so delicious! Our concierge took care of our every need and never once made us feel as though we were burdening him - just another terrific person we were fortunate to cross paths with at FlorBlanca. Of course, I could not be writing this review had it not been for the reservations manager making sure that all of our transportation needs were met so that we arrived safely to FlorBlanca. Seriously, the staff at FlorBlanca are truly wonderful people. As for our room, we were in Villa #1. We had an ocean view and it was spectacular. Our villa was perfect and we loved the outdoor bathroom. The howler monkeys were a joy as was all the wildlife. Housekeeping did a phenomenal job at lighting the candles in our villa before we arrived back after a day out; but, nothing surprised us more as when we returned from our anniversary dinner to find that all the candles in our villa were lit, flower petals were designed on our bed to resemble flowers along with an anniversary gift bag! We were so happy. This experience in FlorBlanca ranks at the top of the scale for harmony, experience, pleasure, delight, peace, beauty, happiness and just the sheer authenticity of the staff and surrounding nature...for us, FlorBlanca surpassed our actual wedding and honeymoon in Maui! FlorBlanca does it right and happily goes above and beyond to provide guests with the most unbelievable wonderland experience! If I had to say anything negative about our time at FlorBlanca, it would have to be that we had to say "goodbye" and "see you again soon!" We did not want to leave and will definitely go back. The pure goodness of FlorBlanca is intoxicating and we became better people for having experienced FlorBlanca and the tremendous people who cared about our happiness. Thank you all so much for everything!

Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

We spent 6 days at Florblanca in August 2011. The resort was lovely, quiet and beautifully maintained. The individual villas are secluded and surrounded by greenery. We loved the outdoor rooms, hammock was great. It is the "green season", and thus rained almost every day or overnight for a short time, but that didn't detract from a great stay. Yoga was wonderful, within sight of the ocean. We found the restaurant to be quite good, but rather pricey. Take advantage of the bikes available to go and explore the town and enjoy some great restaurants and ambiance.

Room Tip: Villa 3 was beautiful and secluded
Newnan, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

A friend and I spent 7 nights earlier this month at Florblanca and we loved every minute. You can't expect a friendlier, more professional staff from the receptionist and concierge to the cleaning staff to the restaurant folks. It's a gorgeous setting in the Costa Rican rain forest yet right on the Pacific. The beach is a one-minute walk from the spacious, beautiful rooms that are open in most areas so you feel you're in the forest but have all the privacy you need. The food was out of sight. Chef Spencer Graves has got to be one of the finest anywhere. Whether it was breakfast, lunch, dinner or room service, absolutely everything was terrific. We also liked the nearby towns of Malpais and Santa Teresa--friendly people and great restaurants. Even the monkeys and the iguanas were friendly! This is the first time I've ever written a review of a hotel or resort on Trip Advisor (or anywhere else, for that matter) but our experience was so phenomenal that I just had to let the world know!

Room Tip: Any room would have to be just fine, given the superb location and size of the resort, proximity to...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Florblanca Resort? Share your experiences!