“Paradise Found....we will return!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Florblanca Resort

Save Saved
You added Florblanca Resort to your Saves list
Florblanca Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   4 KM North of Franks Place | Cobano, Santa Teresa 1315361, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #12 of 25 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Auburndale, Florida
“Paradise Found....we will return!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

We stayed at Florblanca 7/23/11! What a fabulous find! The villas were spectacular! Outdoor bathroom was so awesome & the hammock in the living room was the icing on the cake! The canopied bed made us feel like royalty! The restaurant was 5star! Arrived at sunset & it all blew us away! Very relaxing! Can't wait to come back to this paradise the next time we're in Costa Rica!

Room Tip: Want to build a villa back home just like this!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Naples, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011 via mobile

My family ( group of 11) just spent a week at Florblanca and we were under-whelmed by the hotel. The villas are unique and tout an open air design for the living room and bathrooms, however because you are in the rainforest everything left in this "open space" is constantly wet and eventually becomes moldy. We were not able to use the hammock in our room because is was always damp. Because the hotel is green, towels are only changed every 2-3 days, so after the first use, they stay damp the rest of the time.

There certainly is charm to having an open-aired shower, however It would be nice to have the toilet protected somehow. The Surf House which our family also occupied didn't even have the bathroom connected to any of the rooms. You had to walk out of the building itself to use the toilet or shower. (As a side note to the Surf House, the three guys who shared the Surf House had a 24 hour armed guard watching over their rooms due to recent robberies in the area...)

This hotel, like most of Costa Rica, prides istself as a green hotel, which I absolutely support. The hotel explained that due to the fragile nature of the septic system guests were asked to throw ALL paper into the trash which they said would be collected twice a day. We were lucky to have our trash collected once a day. My father ended up putting his can in the middle of the bathroom when he left for the day to ensure removal. If a hotel of this level is asking for the help if their guests to protect their septic by putting all paper in the trash, then I expect the hotel to actually retrieve the trash.

Nectar's is quite good. We ate many of our meals and found the food to be well above average. Billy, the chef, does a great job trying to change up the menu. The bartenders were also friendly and great.

What was surprising to us was the lack of management. We occupied two villas and the Surf House for a week and not once did we have anyone ask us how the stay was going, or if anything could be done to make our stay better. It rained for about 1/2 of our stay and we wished the hotel had games on premises or a DVD player to use. The hotel has WI-FI, which is sporadic.

Lastly, I will say that the grounds are beautiful. The vegetation is lush and creates a very peaceful ambiance. There are a family of monkeys that live in the trees of Florblanca. They didn't bother us in Villa 10, but my father in Villa 2 said that they threw branches down on his tin roof every morning at 5AM when the sun rose.

I haven't gone back to revisit the website since our return to see if it explains just how rustic this property is. We were surprised by how much the property charged for what you got in return.

• Stayed July 2011
Scottsdale, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

It was time to check out and the bill was wrong. Had to have a very heated extended conversation and was very disappointed to see that the staff did not have the basic ability to reason. Simple math even with a calculator was a struggle. I did not feel they were trying to scam me. It was a circus and the front desk manager guy was a clown. Made a good stay go bad quickly. After battling for what was right they wanted to pay me back more then they owed me, then I had to fight them to not over-pay me and just give me what they over charged me. For the price you are paying to stay there the service could have been much better. WATCH YOUR BILL VERY CLOSELY AT CHECKOUT AND DON'T LET THEM SNOWBALL YOU.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Surfer89, Manager at Florblanca Resort, responded to this review, July 11, 2011
Dear Traveler,

We are deeply sorry for the inconvenience at your check out. Our goal at Florblanca is to make every moment relaxing and smooth, and we regret this was not your experience after a nice vacation with us. Due to being located a bit off the beaten path, at times we have difficulty with our software system and this was the case for your departure. We have addressed the problem, and implemented better procedures to keep this from happening in the future. In addition, we have talked in length with our staff considering our receptionists were one of your biggest complaints. Usually they are our number one compliment. Though they may have not handled your check out in the best of ways, please know they try hard every day to please all of the Florblanca guests and are all very honest individuals.

Again, we apologize for this unfortunate inconvenience and hope you will understand.

Cody Dillon
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

Florblanca is the ultimate in relaxation. After about the scariest drives of my life...we ended up in Santa Teresa and were unhappy with our first hotel arrangements. I had remembered Florblanca from trip advisor so we tried our luck and stopped in to check their availability.

Cindy the concierge worked her magic and pieced together a 3 day honeymoon visit for us. We stayed in an amazing villa, on one of the most beautiful beaches, with the most amazing food and drinks. Florblanca is perfection, and I would go back in a second. The food was the best we had in Costa Rica. Cindy was also one of the friendliest, most helpful people we met in all of Costa Rica. I am so happy we ended up getting 3 days at Florblanca.

We also got champaign, candles and yummy fruit for our honeymoon.

One last highlight from our time at Florblanca were the wild monkeys that entertained us from our balcony.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2011

My wife and I have been to many different beach resorts throughout the US, Caribbean and Mexico. On several occasions, we booked trips based upon a resort's web site and reviews - if the place looked nice and people liked it, we figured we would too. However, on many of those occasions we were disappointed when the resort didn't meet our expectations.

Well, we're pretty picky, but I can tell you that Florblanca blew our expectations out of the water. Our villa was private and secluded, clean and very well-maintained. The spa was fantastic, and I managed to find something new to have done each day we were there. The concierge and resort staff were all extremely friendly, polite and resourceful. It was very clear that they deeply cared about making our visit as comfortable as possible. Everything was just extremely well done.

The bar and restaurant was probably the most pleasant surprise of the whole resort though. Everything we ate was unbelievably fresh. The flavors were always clean and interesting, but never pretentious or overdone. For our anniversary, we asked Chef Spencer Graves simply to prepare something special for us. The day before the meal, he "interviewed" us about our taste in food, memorable meals we've had, etc.

The next night, we arrived for dinner and were taken to the resort's yoga studio which is open to the beach. There were beautiful candles lit everywhere and it really looked like a scene out of a movie. It was a stunning presentation. We then enjoyed the most sublime 8-course tasting menu with drink pairings. Each course brought us back to one of those memories we had talked about with Chef Spencer. Every bite of food had meaning and purpose. Again, never pretentious, but playful, fun, vibrant and ridiculously fresh food. We've eaten at Le Bernardin and the French Laundry as well as some other top-notch restaurants. This meal, in many respects, was better than the tasting menus we've had anywhere else. Trish, our bartender paired each course perfectly with some wonderful cocktails and wine, and Oscar our server orchestrated the meal masterfully. It was perhaps the best dining experience my wife and I have ever had and we will never forget it.

What makes Florblanca exceptional is its simple elegance. Everything is perfect, but never overdone. The vibe is totally relaxed, peaceful and balanced. Literally, the only negative thing was the wi-fi internet connection. But after fully relaxing that first day at Florblanca, I realized I didn't need the damn internet anyways; I already had everything I needed. Go to this resort. You'll be happy you did.

Room Tip: They're all good.
los angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2011

Florblanca exceeded our expectations. I have to say, the website does not do it justice. The resort is beautiful with great service, comfortable amenities, wonderful food, a nice spa, etc. Because there are only 10 villas, it never feels crowded and you always have the attention of staff when you need it. Santa Teresa is more difficult to get to than some other areas in Costa Rica, but it's well worth the extra effort. Rent some ATVs and ride around the neighboring towns...you will stumble upon cute shops, charming restaurants, hidden beaches, etc. I can't wait to go back! The fact that the resort is green is an added plus.

NY, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Florblanca on the second leg of our honeymoon to Costa Rica. The staff at the Florblanca is very nice and willing to accommodate whatever you need - they picked us up at the Tambor airport in a luxury, air-conditioned SUV with cold drinks. The concierge meets you upon arrival to give you a welcome drink and a tour of the property. One word of advice about the Florblanca - it is easily the nicest place to stay in Santa Theresa, and is a beautiful property, but it is not as glamorous as it appears on their website. The photos on the website are accurate, but the property and villas are much more rustic than they appear to be on the hotel website. There are bugs, iguanas, lizards, birds, crabs and monkeys everywhere, and you should be prepared to be totally immersed into the environment with all of these "creatures" if you stay here. The animals are very loud at night - it took a few nights to get used to, and there are bugs everywhere, especially at night, so bugspray with DEET is a must.

A few other notes on the Florblanca - The beach and the pool are great. The resort as a whole is very quiet and definitely most suited for a romantic couple's trip. The wireless internet connection is spotty at best, and the few computers they have there don't work great either. There is no TV, and very little nightlife in Santa Theresa, so I would suggest bringing a laptop and some DVDs - the concierge has some but not much of a selection. The food at the restaurant is great, but I would also high reccommend going to town as there are excellent and more affordable restaurants in town. The yoga classes and yoga teacher were great, although the mats were disgusting and I don't think ever cleaned. I would also reccommend doing some of the activities - either a surfing lesson, the horseback riding, or ATV trip that includes zip-lining and a hike to a waterfall were all very fun.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Florblanca Resort? Share your experiences!