“PURA VIDA” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Tropico Latino

Save Saved
You added Hotel Tropico Latino to your Saves list
Hotel Tropico Latino
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Santa Teresa de Malpais | Cobano, Santa Teresa, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #17 of 25 hotels in Santa Teresa
Curitiba, PR
“PURA VIDA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

Great nature atmosphere and beautifull beach right through the green. Nice hotel, really beautifull, calm and cool, more like for families.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

260 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2010

I traveled here to attend a week long surf trip with Pura Vida Adventures. I just want to say that if you are planning a trip and want to improve your surfing you should check out these guys. I have surfed before but I really improved after spending a week here with their guides. Almost all the surf guides were super cool chicas and could surf really well. They were very professional and personable. The food was amazing and the staff was great. They will show you a good time for sure. Highly recommend!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Melbourne Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

Celebrating our 30th year anniversary and being an avid surfer, we needed a very special place to stay and enjoy a natural envoirment.
We shopped it on line and asked around we had heard some very good
feedback about the Tropical Latino.
If you want to bring your own "RPM"s down and take in the earth's gift
(land,sea and sky) go and embrace all that this gift has to offer.
The staff was helpful, courteous, and went out of their way to help us enjoy our time there.
When we left we both felt like we had new friends in Costa Rica.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
HotelTropicoLatino, Manager at Hotel Tropico Latino, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Hi Bill,
I hope you are doing well, its been a long time since you last came in 2010.

Waves are so good now, we've had such a good month in May, consistent back to back south swells.....I've been surfing both the beach breaks and point breaks around here. I actually took a little boat trip on Monday to the other side of the peninsula and surfed a fun new wave I think you would like ....its such long ride....

Anyways, I just wanted to drop you as small message to thank you for your feedback and having choosing us for your 30th anniversary.

Waves are still pumping...let us know if you want to come down and visit! I'll try to get you a nice deal on the beach front bungalow you liked and maybe this time we can catch a surf together.

Take care and thanks again on behalf of all your friends at Tropico!
Roberto
Ocean City, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2010

I have been staying at the Tropico for the last 11 years. At first my wife and I would travel up and down the coast staying and surfing various locations...and only staying at the Tropico 3 or 4 days and moving to the next place. Inevitably when it came time to move on we did not want to go and were always disappointed to leave. So for the last 7 years we have stayed our entire 2 weeks at the Tropico. It has become heaven and a second home for us.
The short description is for surfers or non-surfers the Tropico is the best travel experience in Costa Rica. It is easy for a surfer's spouse or children to have a thoroughly and safe, enjoyable stay. It is nether a "Club Med" or "Disco" scene. The grounds are spectacular, and the staff fantastic.

Here is a list of points that are important to me:
1) In 11 years I have always surfed good overhead waves at some part of the visit, usually for the most part of the stay. I surf a longboard. When it gets bigger it is the easiest longboard overhead or double overhead surf in the world. There is a 3 break "reform" wave, with sand bottom. So beginners can play easily in smaller waves on the inside. Your cabinas are literally a 30 second walk from the paddle out.

2) They have a shaded palm grove overlooking the break, with hammocks strung between the trunks. My wife can literally turn her head from her book and see me in the water. Within site is a beautiful shaded yoga deck, for morning and afternoon sessions. Behind that a pool and "kiddie pool", partially shaded by beautiful trees in the hot afternoon sun. And behind that a massage and skin care spa. Definitely wife, girlfriend, kids friendly.

3) With just a few cabinas, inevitably you get to know your neighbors. Sweden, Chile, England, everywhere. It's wonderful sharing about different living experiences. The couple from Sweden came and stayed with us in the U.S. last year.

4) The accommodations are more comfortable and spacious than the photos do justice. Marco the owner has made sure every detail is provided. They even have a room safe big enough for your laptop. The broadband on the grounds makes it easy to keep business back home under control. And guess what? ...NO TV. NO TV ANYWHERE on the grounds. I LOVE THAT.

5) The Staff is impeccably professional in their responsibilities, yet so friendly and helpful. They are sincere in their dedication to your enjoyment. And this is consistent from the domestics, gardeners, security, managers, and the owner. Their honesty and their concern for not only your enjoyment but security is always there.

6) Do you need a car? No. It's unnecessary and you'll feel silly for spending the money. You have everything you need at the Tropico. Shops and other restaurants are in easy walking distance.

7) Eating! They have a restaurant that is out of this world. Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner! But in the area are more amazing restaurants that the management will be more than happy to suggest and arrange a ride to other places to eat.

8) Have I ever had anything stolen? Yes. One time in 11 years. Very early morning, off the property, on the beach... but not far from the property. A "snatch and grab" of a camera left carelessly out of our control. What was the Tropico's response?
They immediately hired more security, expanded their "lookout" to beyond the property. They took it seriously, and did way more than I would ever expect for an incident that truley had nothing to do with their responsibilities.

Please understand that the Tropico Latino has been my "secret" for quite some time. But I finally felt compelled to write a review after getting off the phone to arrange my this year's visit. The Tropico folks after your first visit will feel like family. You will feel like you have been in a tropical paradise and a surfer's dream....because you have!

Just so anyone wondering if this review is for real, my name is Steven. I'm sixty years old, and have been surfing for 45 years. I live in Ocean City, Maryland. And anyone interested can call me at ---.---.----.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Laguna Niguel, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

We had a wonderful stay at the hotel. Enjoyed the town, the ocean, the food and the staff. I would definitely return to the hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

I was there in March 2010 and stayed in bungalow 12- its the one you see on their internet site with the huge outdoor daybed. I decided to be adventurous [being that i was 29 about to turn 30] so I joined a surf camp alone and stayed at T.L. As a single traveller, I would recommend this bungalow, you are right on the beach front and dont have to deal with dimly lit pathways . actually i highly dont recommend staying in the outer bungalows near the main road b/c one of them got broken into- they tried going in through the window , the guest screamed and they ran away.
Yoga was excellent- platform facing the beach- perfect way to get my OM on. Dont forget to catch some waves- its one of the best spots to surf. Make sure you spray yourself with OFF, mosquitos++. also, this bungalow is a connecting to bungalow 11 so you both share a bath/restroom.

Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2010

We stayed in 7 which was very close to the beach, but not "beachfront" as I had hoped. The only one that truly has a beach view is 8. I would recommend staying here, but don't waste your money upgrading to the beachfront. The other cabins are just as nice (as long as you don't get one right off of the road). It's a short walk to the beach from any of the cabins. The pool is okay. Nothing great. The prices at on food at the hotel are too high for the area, and there is no breakfast included which was disappointing. There are awesome breakfast places in town "The Bakery" is amazing. We didn't spend a lot of time here but it served as a great home base for exploring Malpais and Montezuma. We did get our back windshield wiper stolen out of the parking lot at Tropico Latino. This kind of petty theft is typical in Malpais although we NEVER felt unsafe. The rooms are equipped with a very large safe and we never had any problems with anything. The best way to get around in Malpais is to rent an ATV. You don't need a rental car here and chances are something is going to get stolen from it. Of course when we had the ATV parked in Montezuma we busted someone trying to steal the mirror off of it. The laid back atmosphere of Malpais is great, but there are beach bums that don't want to work and will steal silly things so just be aware!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Tropico Latino? Share your experiences!