“New Beach House Is Ultimate Luxury” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Tropico Latino

Save Saved
You added Hotel Tropico Latino to your Saves list
Hotel Tropico Latino
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Santa Teresa de Malpais | Cobano, Santa Teresa, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #17 of 25 hotels in Santa Teresa
“New Beach House Is Ultimate Luxury”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012 via mobile

My family of four just returned from an amazing week staying at the new Beach House atHotel Tropico. We have stayed with them before and enjoyed our rooms but their new beach house is amazing! Private yet close to the yoga/spa and restaurant and directly on the beach.

While the full house accommodates up to 12 in 5 bedrooms, we only used the first floor with 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, a full kitchen, dining room and tv. But the outdoor accommodations are what make this truly special.

It has an Infiniti pool ( big enough to do lap swimming) and a jacuzzi plus a wonderful and large sitting area outside both in the sun and in the shade (with fans to keep you cool.

The Beach House is now one of the most luxurious locations available on the beaches of Mal Pais or Santa Teresa. If you are looking for a family (or multiple) retreat you couldn't pick a better spot. Hotel Tropico is a wonderful place to stay but with the addition of the Beach House it just got a whole lot better!!

• Stayed April 2012
HotelTropicoLatino, Manager at Hotel Tropico Latino, responded to this review, May 31, 2012
Thanks Chris! Im happy you were able to enjoy the week with your family at the beachfront suite. Its always a pleasure to have you over.

See you next time and say hi to the family!

256 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012 via mobile

As someone who has been to costs rica over 10 times on surfing trips with my guy friends, I knew when I convinced my wife to give it a try, just the 2 of us, our accommodations needed to be a little better than what 5 guys can deal with. Roughing it for her is no room service. Tropico Latino came through for me, because of their resort, she now loves costa rica and wants to go back! The staff is awesome, the location couldn't be better. I surfed every morning while she jogged on the beach. She felt totally safe being over a mile away on the beach here- its that kind of town where you really don't have to worry about much. Awesome food both at the resort and at a ton of places walking distance. Right across the street is a supermarket, which has everything you could ever need, and surfboard rentals. Highly reccomend staying here!

• Stayed April 2012
I'm glad to hear your wife now loves Costa Rica and that our staff was friendly. Let me know when you are coming back and I'll be happy offer you a couple of complementary yoga classes for your wife and a better deal for a nice beachfront bungalow!

San Jose, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

This hotel is located on a great stretch of beach, which was easy walking to the main parts of playa carmen but just far out enough that the beach front wasn't too crowded. We ate once at their restaurant; the food was a bit pricey but it tasted great. Each cabin had its own hammock outside, the inside was roomy, but the plumbing was starting to show its age (our shower only had cold or scalding hot water). Gardens were well maintained and full of lovable iguanas. Nice pool with limited poolside chairs, but there were an abundant amount of hammocks/chairs/loungers for tl hotel guests on the beachfront.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for your kind comments!

The uncrowded beaches is also something I love about being here. I'm sorry to hear the water was to warm or cold. I found out the pressure of the main water pump was not properly regulated at the time which consequently had the heater warming the water to much or vice versa. This issue has been corrected and now the temperature of the water is back to normal. I'm sure you will have a nice shower experience next time you come back.
I'm glad you liked our gardens and fauna, or gardeners take great pride in taking care of our grounds.
We have also place more pool side tables for our guests to relax.

We hope to see you once more!

Warm regards.
Castalian Springs, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

Our room had driftwood and basket lamps and a bright quilt on the wall. NO alarm, phone, tv, desk, stationery etc! a huge covered porch with a hammock and adirondack chairs and table. nice bathroom with shower, a safe, a fridge w minibar and snacks. that's it. We didn't need anything else because there was this white graveled path to the pool and the beach in one direction, and town with stores and restaurants steps away. surfboard rentals-- yoga-- open air restaurant all tucked away in the most interesting flowered jungle...The stars at night, the hermit crabs, the benches, hammocks, chairs, lounges exactly where everyone gathers for sunset. we loved it and you will too... if you want to get away from it all... it is bare bones luxury!

Room Tip: we were closest to the street, yet still a minute to the pool and waves...#10
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your lovely comments. Our idea of a nice vacation for a guests is that they are able to rest a bit from the modern rush of life and can enjoy the peace and quite of small, cozy hotel in front of the beach. Still we do have wifi internet for them to stay in touch with the world an loved ones.

I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the stars at night and the wild life, that is one of the reasons I enjoy living in this area and working for this hotel. Its all a great experience.

I hope you can get to come back and enjoy many more sunsets! We would be happy to offer you a complementary cocktail to go along :)

Take care.
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

To be honest, my wife and I ended up at TL after searching for the best rate after arriving in town. While the rate was great, the property is what made us decide to stay.

Each little bungalow is nestled among bushes and trees which makes it feel very private, save for the many iguanas that roam the property. While harmless, they sure make a 'thump' when they fall out of trees!

We found the food to be a bit pricey but the quality was good as was the service. Each morning we had breakfast before starting our busy day (on the Nicoya Pen. this means laying on the beach, eating burritos and wasting the afternoon away with a beer and a book).

On our last full day we woke up and did yoga with only one other person and the instructor. After which we ate breakfast then took advantage of the spa services with a massage. The massage was located right next to the beach in a little open-air hut and I can honestly say it was in my top 5 massages. Sort of a hybrid Thai massage that worked out a season of cycling crashes and soreness!

All in all, this is a must visit if you're unsure on where to stay. It felt private, was reasonably priced and felt very relaxing.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Sidney, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2012

We booked way ahead to stay at this hotel. I did my usual research, reviews looked pretty good - and made sure that we booked a beachfront cabin unit. The hotel advertises two of them- # 7 and # 8. From their site plan I could tell that #8 was the only one that was truly beachfront, so confirmed with them by e-mail (got it in writing!) that we had #8.

Imagine our frustration when we arrived, and they handed us the key for #7. At first the staff person denied they had confirmed we had #8- but when I said I would pull up the email and show her, she changed her story to "the guy that told you that doesn't work here anymore". Not the right answer. She then searched our email exchanges herself and had to admit there was in fact a confirmation given to us. Turns out there was a wedding at the hotel and they had rented #8 and a bunch of other rooms to the wedding guests.

Long story short, we reluctantly stayed in #7- see photo of the "view"- this unit is close to the beach, but certainly not beachfront and with no view.

The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, no complaints there. Pool is nice too. The coffee making situation in the rooms is a joke. They have these thimble sized styro cups- I've never seen anything so small- that are provided for you to drink your coffee from. Just really ridiculous.

Now- the restaurant. We had talked to the waiter (Jose) during the day and he raved about the food, the chef, on and on. We thought- we have to eat here. Big mistake. What an unfortunate menu. Of a total of about 9 dishes to choose from, I think 5 of them had eggplant included in some way. My husband hates eggplant! And it is expensive. The waiter is absolutely fabulous, so we decided to tough it out and stay. I have to say it was the worst, most expensive meal we had in Costa Rica. We felt so sorry for the waiter, he was trying so hard, but when the food is this bad, you know he won't be doing too well for tips. We basically ended up laughing ourselves silly because there was nothing else we could do.

The day we left, we had a very early shuttle, so (stupid us!) we thought- they can't ruin breakfast, let's eat here, rather than trying to find somewhere up the road that early. Well they did. Different waiter- a very surly fellow- and the prices! $11 for 2 eggs, about 1/2 cup of potatoes, 2 overcooked pieces of bacon and 1 1/2 pieces of toast.

There is competition in the area. There are WAY better restaurants in the area. They have to be able to do better than what they are offering.

We walked the beach and there are great alternate places to stay- and we will- we loved Santa Teresa, the beach and the sunsets are amazing. Just never at Tropico Latino again!

Room Tip: If you must stay here- and I wouldn't- if you are expecting beachfront, you may be disappointed!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

I didn't actually stay here, but I feel I am allowed to write a review because I spent more time there than my hotel. I had a bad experience with my hotel, so I fell in live with Tropico. I walked in from the beach at it was so peaceful and beautiful. I immediately booked the Valentines Package special for me and my boyfriend. 155 for couples massage and dinner, you can't beat that The Spa attendant was so friendly and told us we could hang out there. And we did, everyday! We ordered drinks, sat by the pool, hung out in the hammocks and beachfront chairs. It is a great location with fantastic staff and atmosphere. If my hotel didn't let me cancel my reservation I would have stayed here in a hot second(and I probably will next time I visit.) The massage was fantastic and so relaxing located in an outdoor kind of hut on the ocean. The dinner was so fantastic and the best food I've had in a long time. Fish, wine, chocolate cake. I couldn't have been more happier (unless of course I was staying here) Plus it was across from Zula, the best Israeli food ever! You will have a good time here.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelTropicoLatino, Manager at Hotel Tropico Latino, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Thanks for your review! Its so nice to hear that you fell in love our hotel. Are you planning to come anytime soon? Please let us know and we will make sure to give you a better deal on your second visit... !

Warm regards.
Roberto

Been to Hotel Tropico Latino? Share your experiences!