“Pura Vida Ben!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 32 Activities in Santa Teresa
Type: Surf Camps, Adventure
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Nalu Surf School & Shop offers professional surf lessons 1, 3 & 5 day courses for all ages. New and used boards for sale. Ding repair, surf tours by land and boat, surf clothing and accessories. With 12 years experience in the area and 29 years surfing experience we will help you with all your surfing needs during your visit.
Sacramento, California
“Pura Vida Ben!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

My family and I have been visiting Malpais for years. Nalu is the best place to rent surf boards, boogie boards and more! Ben, the owner and surf instructor, is the best instructor my son (10yo) has ever had. My son rides the outer break with us but can be impatient. Ben has such a peaceful instructing style and is very present with the kids so they like to "hang" with him. Ben helped my son become a competent duck diver and witnessed his first tube! I have taken lessons from Ben to improve my duck dives and just get pointers to improve my surfing. Nalu is so accommodating with switching boards up, especially with our long term rentals. The boards are kept in great shape. Everybody who works at Nalu is friendly and ready to help in anyway they can. I highly recommend Nalu to everyone I meet going to Santa Teresa/Malpais/Playa Carmen area.
Thank for another amazing year Ben! We miss you already!
Until next year….. Pura Vida.

Visited November 2013

Vancouver
“Outstanding advice & service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

Ben and Co. were very helpful & friendly, with excellent service and good equipment. Very knowledgable about the area and ready to help all levels of surfing ability. Highly recommended.

Visited December 2013
Hendersonville, Tennessee
“Pura Vida! Surfing was awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

My husband and I were staying on Nicoya Peninsula during a vacation in different areas of Costa Rica. He has always wanted to surf in Costa Rica, so we decided to incorporate it into our trip. Nalu was recommended to us by our hotel, and we are sure glad it was! The road to Nalu is a little bumpy, but it made it even MORE of an adventure! And it was well worth the short drive.

I was not even planning on surfing, but I am so glad that I tried it! Ben was super helpful and encouraging. Despite the fact that I kept falling off, he was so patient and really tried to direct me in how to improve. And I did stand up a few times, which I think is "success" for your first time.

If you are in the area, definitely visit Ben at Nalu. Have a blast surfing!!

Visited October 2013
3 attraction reviews
“Saved our lives ;)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

We had a great time on our first ever surflesson with Ben and Timo. Both my boyfriend and I were able to stand up a couple of times on the first lesson thanks to good advice that Ben and Timo gave us. They were really helpful finding everyone's individual problems that were preventing us from standing up and I think everyone in the lesson was able to stand up at least once.

On the second day we wanted to try on our own so we rented a board. We didn't have any way of transportation to the better beaches to surf so Ben gave us a ride which was really nice. When we were out surfing, at one point we were taken by the strong current and found ourselves pretty far out with big waves crashing down on us. Even though we weren't even participating in the lesson, Ben saw that we were in trouble and helped us get back to the beach! I would definately recommend surfing with Nalu's surf shop, thanks for the great time we had learning how to surf and for rescuing us from the mighty ocean ;)!

Visited August 2013
Zurich, Switzerland
“Best Surfschool in Town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

The guys at Nalu were super chilled out and very helpful in everything regarding lessons, board rental and board size, etc. Ben and Timo are two very good surfers that really want people to learn how to surf. The lessons are 2 hours long and the location is carefully chosen depending on the level of the class and the tide/wave forecast even if it means that they have to rent a cap to bring you there.
We would recommend everyone from beginner to pro to go to this shop!

Visited August 2013