“It was like two different experiences!!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of al chile viola

al chile viola
Santa Teresa | 200 mts norte del Supermercado La Hacienda, Santa Teresa 60111, Costa Rica
Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 64 Restaurants in Santa Teresa
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Al chile viola offers a great collection of incredible italian dishes prepared carefully by our italian chef Emiliano and served by his wife Luz.
Larchmont, New York
“It was like two different experiences!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I was so excited to go to al Chile Viola. Not only was it rated well on Trip Advisor, but our hotel recommended it. Honestly...it was simply bizarre. We had absolutely, amazing, wonderful and generous appetizers, and then skimpy bland and tasteless main courses, So, for apps, we ordered the tuna tartare, bruchetta, pasta ragu, meat and cheese platter, and salad caprese. All were delicious and ample portions. But then dinner came, and it was a huge letdown. My eggplant parm was delicious, but it was literally 6 bites of food, with no side. I would have been starving when I left, had my husband not ordered the additional pasta course. The beef tenderloins were bland and overcooked. The tuna in sage was also overcooked (it was ordered, rare) and was bland. Drinks were weak. We were charged for bottled water, that they re-bottled, and was actually, tap (it wasn't a lot, but it annoyed the hell out of me)...the check was $155 American, before tip...and quite honestly, it was $50 too much for what we got. Service was on the slow side, but not the worst, Good, but not great. Go to Amici's instead...better, cheaper and more authentic. We are New Yorkers, and I am of Italian-American decent, and I know my food. You can do a lot better. Sorry, Al Chile Viola...you have a lot of potential, but a lot of room to improve!!

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Santa Teresa, Costa Rica
“Great food and exceptional hospitality!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

My husband and I were so happy to have found this lovely gem about a week into our stay here in Santa Teresa. To begin, the signature drink that we started off with, was bar none one of the most incredible we had ever sampled; mixing avocado and passion fruit (I know right???) with vodka and triple sec is sheer genius! We started with the fresh tuna carpaccio and our mains included the panko encrusted jumbo prawns and their infamous bull ball homemade ravioli. Both were perfectly prepared and wonderfully presented. Comida increible aside, the server and the chef (the owners) went above and beyond and made our night one of the most enjoyable to date. Their vast knowledge of food and wine combined with their exuberantly gracious and friendly nature, left us feeling as though we had a real glimpse of Costa Rica charisma. The entire staff was attentive to us and made us feel as though we were among friends. If you want a great night out, where you want to feel like you are in place far from home but still with the comforts of home, do yourself a favour and check out Al Chile Viola, I promise you will not be disappointed.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Irvine, California, United States
“Amazingly Delicious!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband and I came to Costa Rica for our wedding and honeymoon. We came to Al Chile Viola the 2nd night we were there and we fell in love with this restaurant. We loved it so much we had dinner there again before we left on Valentine’s Day. The food was delicious, the service was outstanding and the restaurant had a delightful ambiance. Both nights they had live music which we really enjoyed. We will most definitely be coming back to Al Chile Viola when we visit Santa Teresa again. If you are traveling to Santa Teresa, this place is a must!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Delicioso!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

We were craving sushi on our second night in Costa Rica, but we went all the way to Koji and they were closed. Our private driver turned around - now both of us clueless on what to have for dinner; remembered a restaurant we passed with two levels. So we decided to give it a shot; they appeared busy. We lucked out, the meal was fabulous - we were starving and ordered the salad, bruschetta, and tuna tartare to start and our main course was the Beef Tenderloin w/Truffle Oil and Pasta Carbonara .... it was all very delicious ... we didn't have any alcohol or dessert (too full) and the bill was pretty reasonable around $65US ... being so used to NYC prices, this was cheap in comparison ... the beef was lean and the portion was huge for under $20. They were very attentive and friendly, the downstairs dining was very charming, I loved details - the presentation of the silverware, the water in the wine bottle and the check was on this cool handcrafted tray.
I thought the Bull Balls "Rocky Mountain Oysters" was hilarious - although it wasn't a joke - I took a picture of it for laughs back home. Would I go back? Do I recommend it? - YES -

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Miami
“charming Place....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

we found the place to be charming. Especially the lower level. In dry season i would sit in upper level. Had a baked lobster cooked to perfection. Wife had gnocchi which was nice but not great. The hit of the night were the shrimp ravioli and the lasagna. The have Bull Balls on the menu which i thought was a cute way of saying meat balls....but no they are the real deal. We would return.

Visited February 2013