“Where to go for surf or SUP lessons” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Costa Rica Surf & SUP

Costa Rica Surf & SUP
250 m North of Bar La Lora Amarilla, next door to Cuesta Arriba, Santa Teresa 84070, Costa Rica
506-2640-0328
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 30 Activities in Santa Teresa
Type: Surf Camps, Sports Camps/ Clinics
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: We offer surf lessons, stand up paddle boarding tours, and multi-day clinics in the Santa Teresa area. Our highly-trained staff ensures safety and excitement as you discover the wonders of Costa Rica. Ideal for individuals, friends, and families. Our scenic pueblo of started out as a remote fishing village. It is known for its long beaches, warm Pacific ocean, friendly locals, and relaxed atmosphere. We have been here since 2001. We are proud of our surfing roots and wish to share our passion and the pure vida spirit.
Edmonton, Canada
“Where to go for surf or SUP lessons”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

I had a private surf lesson with Bennie and she completely made me forget about my negative previous surfing experiences. She was so patient with me and then as soon as things started clicking, she was giving great feedback in a helpful way. I made some notes to keep much of what she taught me fresh in my mind for the next surf day. When I return next year, I'm going straight to this surf school!

Surf notes1. How to get the board up and over the wave. Place hands down centre of board near the tail, exclaim HI YAH and pop the nose over the wave as the back hand pushes down HARD on the board. 2. I should get a standard board 9 feet in length. 3. Watch the wave build and start to break. Then turn around by pushing on the tail. Get on the board and watch the wave until it is quite close. Swim like hell and feel the pull of the wave. Stand up as soon as possible after that. 4. Waves look bigger as they build but when they get to where I am which is shore side of the break, they are okay. 5. It's okay to ride the wave in on your chest. But, keep the chest high. 6. When you pop up, think about turning your toes inward. You won't but they end up where they should be. 7. I tend to keep myself a bit square on the board but I need to remember to be perpendicular to the board. 8. No matter what, stand up on the ride in. Even if it's close to shore because it gets more automatic after that. 9. When you bail unexpectedly, pull one arm over your head to the crown, and the other wraps around to reach the other ear. The elbows should cross over the nose. This position will protect the face from the board hitting it. Stay like that till you surface. 10. I CAN surf!!!

Visited February 2013
CostaRicaSurfAndSUP, Owner at Costa Rica Surf & SUP, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Thanks for taking the time to write a great review for us! It's really appreciated.

Hope all is well and hope to see you down here soon!

London, Canada
“Learning to surf from the best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I am overjoyed by the success of my trip to Costa Rica, and I owe that to the team at Costa Rica Surf & SUP. This was the first time for myself and two female friends in Costa Rica and from the beginning Bennison helped us create the perfect getaway. Surfing was the main reason for us to visit Santa Teresa and really was the highlight. Our instructor Kelsey was incredible, she really made it fun and we all picked it up pretty quickly. She is clear in her instruction and is extremely easy going and a ton of fun. Our SUP tour was such an adventure and a unique experience. It wasn't hard to dedicate everyday to surfing with the this team. I could not have felt more at home in a new place, their positivity and commitment to us was truly amazing. I recommend anyone interested in learning how to surf or SUP to choose this surf family. I already want to start planning my trip back, they really do an excellent job at fostering a love for surfing.

Visited February 2013
Hey! Thanks for the awesome review. It's good to hear you had such a great experience, and fell in love with surfing!
Hope to see you down here soon!

Minnetonka, Minnesota
“Expert surf instruction!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

The team at Costa Rica Surf & SUP helped us plan our trip and were very responsive regarding travel logistics, lodging etc... I had over 7 lessons with both Kelsey and Josie and they are both great coaches. I'm in my late 40's and not in the greatest of shape but they made me feel very comfortable and had me up on the 1st day. We were a group of 7 and everyone was extremely happy with their experience. Both Kelsey and Josie pushed us every day and got the most out of us like only a great coach can. We could really see the difference when seeing other surf instruction taking place nearby (lots of amateur "instruction" out there) - it made us grateful for our skilled coaches. Our safety was their top priority but they also ensured that we had FUN!
I did not take the stand up paddle board trip but our friends loved it and I wish I had. Thank you Bennison, Al, Josie and Kelsey for making this an unforgettable trip!!! We can't wait to come back.

Visited January 2013
Hey! Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review. It's always nice to hear a good success story. Benny, Al, Kelsey, and Josie are all great instructors, and people for that matter. I'm not surprised you had such a great experience. Please stop by and say hi, if you're ever in town again.

Canada
5 attraction reviews
“Very helpful - Amazing time!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

A few months before heading to Santa Teresa, my friend and I were busy emailing different places to plan the trip. Bennison was the most helpful in helping us plan. Her emails were always full of detailed helpful information and she really made me look forward for our adventurous trip with all her enthusiasm. We ended up booking a SUP tour and a surfing lesson with her. Al took us on the SUP tour. It was very fun for first-timers. The river trip was very relaxing and easy to do. I absolutely loved it. Al was kind enough to take photos of our adventure and they were some really great photos. My friend took a surfing lesson with Kelsey, which she enjoyed as well. Thanks for making our last day in Santa Teresa so much fun!

Visited January 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a great review. Good to know you really enjoyed yourself during the SUP tour.
Hope to see you around these parts sometime soon!

Breckenridge, Colorado
“Pura Vida”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Just got back from two weeks in ST and there are no words to describe what an amazing trip it was. Largely due to the great instruction we received from CRS&S. We cannot thank Kelsey enough for her patience, encouragement, and overall positive vibe. 10 days of surf instruction has me dreaming of heading back down there to take it to the next level. And the paddle boarding is a serious must-check-out! While I definitely had some Elvis legs going on cuz I was so nervous, it turned out to be the amazingly relaxing (on the river) and exhilarating (on the ocean). Even the drive over to the river and beach was worth it! Great views, thrilling experience...seriously, I can't find the words to adequately describe it. DO IT!

Visited January 2013
Thanks for the great review! Love hearing about a great experience.

Hope to see you around here again soon!