We travelled at the end of July with friends and stayed here for two days.
First there was no hot water in the room and the AC was not functioning. We were given a key of the room which almost breaking in two pieces and we have been told it is the only key they have and if we break it they will charge us $20. Off course it break when we open the door.
The sheets are old and the towels are tinny. There was a musty smell in the room also.
In the next door room there were three noizzy young colombians who ensured we get no sleep at all.
Before we went out for dinner we have been asked to pay for the room key. We told them that they have to fix the AC and that besides the fact there is no hot water at all, there were sparks flying in the shower from their stupid suicidal shower which was old and not installed properly.
Second, at our return from the city we were approached by a young arrogant person who asked us on a demanding tone to pay him the money for the room in advance.
Since he was just sitting by the pool and not in the reception area, and he did not introduced himself as the owner of the hotel, we refused to pay him anything. Therefore, he became even more arrogant and threatening, saying it's his hotel and he does what he wants - we agreed to pay him only after recording him on camera, saying his name was Saf and we has the owner.
The same night, someone came to fix the shower, replacing the old suicidal shower with a newer one. The water was warmer but there were some sparks flying still when I tried to take a shower. Being scared of getting electrocuted, I gave up the shower. My partner was braver but he got electrocuted by touching the faucet. Twice!!!
In the morning, when we told the receptionist (the only nice person in there) we still had problems with the shower, she told us it would be solved during the day, and asked us to leave her the key, which we refused. We had our belongings in the room.
We had to take a shower in the same conditions as the previous night. The following morning we checked-out and moved to another hotel.
I'd never recommend this hotel to anyone! Ever!
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Report response as inappropriate
I am very sorry to hear that you were unsatisfied with your stay at Hotel Ronny's.
Please allow me to clarify a few things:
• The hotel has never, and will never, ask someone to pay for a broken key.
• Our showers are completely safe. As in many hotels in Costa Rica, we use electric shower heaters, which need to be repaired or changed on occasion. In your case, as soon as we were aware of the problem, we installed a new shower head, and after installation we checked to be sure the shower head was working properly. We have never seen sparks flying from any of our shower heads.
• All of the A/C units in our hotel were working fine in July, and we consistently check each unit to be sure there are no issues.
• Our policy for payment is to pay upon check-in. In your case, you were permitted to check-in without payment because you did not have the money on you. You were expected to go to the ATM and provide payment on the same day. Later, when I asked you about the payment, your response was that all hotels in Costa Rica collect payment upon check-out. I informed you that we required payment at check-in (as do most of the hotels in Costa Rica).
• This is the first complaint we have ever had about the sheets and towels - we have very clean sheets and normal sized hotel towels, which are replaced often.
• The hotel's common areas close at 11 pm and all guests are asked to keep the noise down after this time. If we were made aware of your problem, we would have spoken to your neighbors immediately.
Again we apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay.
Asaf Moshe, General Manager
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.