“Beach front beauty” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 25 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Jacksonville, Florida
“Beach front beauty”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

We had the pleasure of staying in the hotel for 4 nights. It is beautiful and has many creature comforts. The casita we stayed in had and ocean view (it was tucked away to for privacy which we desire) and you are just steps away from the ocean and the restaurant. Sitting on your front porch in the morning planning out what you are doing in the day you will witness many butterflies, hummingbirds, and wildlife. The bed is very comfortable (king) and the shower was my favorite part ( although it is hard to pick just one thing). I was able to walk to yoga, the surf break in Santa Teresa, food and an organic grocery market. Overall playa cielo was romantic and a nice finish to out trip. The owner Adele is a sweetheart & checked on us throughout our stay to make sure we have what we need to feel comfortable. Habaneros is the restaurant on site and it was nice sitting on the beach watching the sunset enjoying a mango jalapeño margarita. It was one of those vacations you just wish would never end. I can't wait to go back :) thank you Adele for everything !

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

It's hard to beat Playa Cielo's location - right on the beach in the heart of Santa Teresa. You're just a short walk to a supermarket and great restaurants. The owner and on-site manager is very friendly, they were always checking up on us to make sure we had everything we needed. They organized our ATV rental ($60/day) which I absolutely recommend. It's the easiest way to get around and allowed us to try different restaurants and even make a road-trip to the Cabo Blanco Nature Reserve.

We stayed in one of the 1-bedroom villas, the one further back so we didn't have the best view unfortunately. The bed is quite comfortable and the outdoor space is great for relaxing at the end of a long day. The outdoor shower is beautiful but the water temperature/pressure is terrible. I never once took a shower where I wasn't playing with the water temperature every minute. There aren't any amenities either - I do expect a little lotion and hand soap when I pay these prices.

The grounds are lush and beautiful, but the pool was dirty our entire stay. We never swam once, which is fine considering we were there for the beach.

All in all, it's a beautiful spot to relax with wonderful hosts. Their restaurant 'Habaneros' is by far the best in the area - we either had lunch, dinner or a late-night drink there every day.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Brentwood, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

My family and I recently spent four nights at Playa Cielo in March and can not say enough about this hotel. We loved having our own bungalow, which was stylish and well appointed with a comfortable bed, little kitchen, beautiful outdoor bathroom and day bed and trundle for our two kids. The outdoor patio was the perfect place to sit in the mornings, drink coffee, listen to the birds and the surf and eat our fresh fruit plate that was delivered each morning for breakfast. The location can't be beat; the beach is just a few steps away and at low tide there are amazing tide pools for our kids to play in while we hunted for shells or people watched. It is really convenient having the restaurant on site with good food and cocktails. The small pool is great for kids with a big shallow end. My only complaint with the property would be that the wooden pool deck needs to be replaced, as some of the boards were loose and well worn.
The vibe is very casual here but the staff was always attentive, even doing our laundry when asked. Eti, the lovely Manager of Playa Cielo, was always available for a chat and gave us the best restaurant suggestions. She even took care of making our reservations, as well as hooking me up with a great surf instructor.
Since we've left I've been daydreaming of our next visit. We can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: There doesn't seem to be a bad room on the property.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

For our 3rd trip to Santa Teresa, we finally had the pleasure of staying at Playa Cielo. It is far and away the best accomodation - after having stayed at 4 other high end properties in the area during past trips, this is our favorite. The casitas are fully equipped with all of the luxuries we wanted, while maintaining the simplicity of Costa Rica that we love. The property has gorgeous beachfront views, a refreshing pool, and fabulous mexican restaurant on site - it made it difficult to want to leave to do anything else! The property is meticulously kept. The Playa Cielo family makes you feel at home - we left with new friends in Sol and Eti, and a reservation for next year! We won't stay anywhere else and are anxiously awaiting our return to paradise next winter.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

Playa Cielo is a beautiful property in an incomparable location. The rooms were clean, cool, and airy. The grounds are lush and beautiful. We spent our days on the beach, afternoons by the pool, evenings watching the sunset, and slept to the sound of waves. Our children made friends, chased hermit crabs, played and swam. After only four days we left with hugs and promises to return to this place which felt like home.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

I just went to dinner at their restaurant, is totally beachfront. You can feel the sand on your fuete and admire the most stunning sunset having a splendid and exquisite dinner. At Playa cielo, love is in the air!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

My husband, teen-aged sons and I were so fortunate to have stayed at PC from Jan. 3, 2014 to Jan. 8th. The accommodations are luxurious. I was very impressed with the attention to detail in the design of the villas. We were lucky to have stayed in both the one bedroom and the two bedroom villa. We preferred the one bedroom ( great view and great porch) but the two bedroom was very spacious and the kids were more comfortable there. You can walk into town and the villas are just steps away from the beach. The restaurant is fantastic as is exploring the the restaurants in town and on the beach. The pool area is lovely and we spent a lot of our time there as well as the hammocks and chairs on the beach, In fact, the place is so wonderful that we only went on one day excursion. The service is terrific. Eti and Schlomi (the owner) were so willing to help with any request. We would go back in a heartbeat. I hope we can some day!

Highlights:
1.The one room villa is very romantic and beautiful. It has a small kitchenette. The porch for the front villas are fantastic, with great views and an outdoor table and chairs and comfy outdoor couch ( not to mention the hammock), the outdoor bathroom is very cool. Great design.

2. The lobster tacos and tamarind/ginger margaritas at the restaurant can't be beat!

3. One night we walked down the beach to the Banana bar.It's a really laid back scene. They had music and a show; the food was good and it's fun to eat right on the beach.

4. Sitting at the restaurant at night listening to music.

5. Swimming in the waterfall in Montezuma (this was our only outing; we were so happy to stay at Playa Cielo all day, just hanging out).

6. Fresh fruit delivered to your porch every morning. It took us a few days to figure out that it made a great base for a smoothie.

7. The town is awesome. It's really funky and has a lot of good restaurants. The street life is something to see: people walking in bathing suits (usually carrying a surfboard) or just hanging out, cyclists, quads, cars, and lots of dogs. There is a lot of activity.

8. The bakery for morning pastries; i thought that the grocery store to the left as you go out the driveway had the best selections.

9. The two bedroom villa is very spacious with 2 master bedrooms and 2 bathrooms (very cool, outdoor showers). There is a sitting room and a kitchen.

10. The air conditioning was very welcome for hot afternoon siestas.

11. The landscaping is meticulous. It seemed that people were working on the grounds constantly. I really liked that the plantings made you feel that you were in tropical heaven, but not so " jungley" that no sun could get through.

12. Quite simply, just being at PC.

Suggestions:
1. As my son told me, we were in paradise and everything was so great that my only complaint was trivial! The two bedroom villa doesn't have enough comfortable seating. There is a couch for 2 people and one comfy chair; but there wasn't enough seating inside for the whole family. When I mentioned this to Yeti, she immediately brought us two chairs from the restaurant. I would have loved to have had a comfy outdoor couch (as do the one bedroom villas) to be able to enjoy the fantastic porch. There is a table and 4 chairs and two other chairs, but they weren't comfortable for the long haul. I did however spend quality time in the hammock.The lounge chairs by the restaurant (overlooking the ocean) are a bit uncomfortable and we couldn't sit there as long as we would have liked Well, I have mentioned "comfortable" many times in this paragraph. I really was in vacation/lounging mode! (In my defense I had a broken foot so lounging was a big priority) You can decide if I was just looking for something to stress out about bc everything else was wonderful.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Been to Playa Cielo? Share your experiences!