“The time of our lives” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Playa Cielo

We can't find prices for this hotel
Playa Cielo
Main Street, Santa Teresa 5361, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #6 of 25 hotels in Santa Teresa
Worcester, Massachusetts
“The time of our lives”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I visited Playa Cielo with my boyfriend, sister and her fiance last week. We rented the 2 bedroom bungalow and it was more than spacious for the 4 of us. When researching getaways for our trip to Costa Rica I stumbled upon Playa Cielo through tripadvisor. With little to almost no knowledge of Costa Rica let alone Santa Teresa we took a gamble by choosing Playa Cielo based solely on the reviews and photos, and the gamble payed off. Santa Teresa is a small town and while there are an abundance of rentals, Playa Cielo is located directly on the beach with a pool that allows you to look at the beach from it as well. I must say that the showers were my favorite part however. They are an indoor/outdoor type of shower, meaning they are closed off, but the top is open so it feels like you're in an outdoor shower, but with the privacy of being indoors. The restaurant Habanero is on site and offers some of the most delicious food I've ever had while vacationing, not to mention there amazing frozen margaritas. We were very surprised to find that all the food we had while staying in Santa Teresa was spectacular. The owners Adele and Sol were wonderfully helpful in giving us recommendations of other places to eat, although it was hard to make ourselves leave Habanero. Brisas del Mar and the restaurant next door at Hotel Tropico were also fantastic. I could go on forever about Santa Teresa and Playa Cielo, but most importantly the attention and hospitality we received from Adele and Sol as well as their fabulous waitresses and cooks was above and beyond what we expected. Even though I didn't get her name, the woman who cleaned our bungalow each day and brought us fresh fruit each morning was so wonderful and sweet as well. We had a little bit of trouble one night with a water heater in one of the bedrooms that started to leak. When we told Adele and Sol they gave us free shots and fixed it a timely manner. The only thing to know is that the hotel only takes cash, but there is an ATM right in the center a mere 5-8 minute walk or 2 minute car ride away. When the day comes to return to Santa Teresa I will be staying at Playa Cielo. Thank you Adele & Sol!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

124 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

When traveling in Costa Rica earlier this year we happened upon Playa Cielo's great restaurant Habanero's. So when we had a chance In April to get back to Costa Rica we decided to stay at Playa Cielo and enjoyed every blissful moment of our stay. The location couldn't be beat, right on the beach, beautifully appointed, super clean and spacious bungalows which included a fabulous shower/bathroom, and kitchenette. There was an outdoor shower at our bungalow which was great after coming from the beach or pool, just a few steps away. We also enjoyed very much our lovely veranda that we took full advantage of to sit and relax and enjoy the luscious gardens and amazing view. In comparison to other facilities in this area Playa Cielo is a huge cut above - first-rate by any standard and a great value! The outstanding level of service and hospitality, its idyllic setting, close to Mal Pais' other attractions and shops, and best of all we could walk directly from the beach and securely leave our surf boards on our verandas - it truly felt like a home away from home. One couldn't ask for more! We plan on going back this summer and can't wait. Highly recommended!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Suffolk/London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

This is difficult. We had the two bed villa which is expensive - more than $400 a night so maybe my expectations were too high. Here are the pros and cons:-

Pros

Amazing beach and loads of places to drive around and explore and great bars and restaurants
Fab scenery
Friendly, informative and welcoming owners
Nice beach bar with fab margaritas and surprisingly good food
Once you get used to the dusty surroundings and accept that it's ok to do nothing it's really relaxing. If we'd stayed a couple of days longer we'd have got the balance perfect between relaxing by the bar, going exploring and finding great places to eat.

Cons

2 bed villa is not as charming as the one beds and looks directly out over the other villas so it felt a bit like we were on a seaside housing estate rather than in a beach house
Vibe is definitely self-catering rather than hotel. Coffee and sugar is supplied but even if it's not a hotel (and it says it is) then most self catering places supply a welcome pack of milk, juice and bread which would have made a huge difference to us at minimal cost. We arrived hot and bothered and had to immediately go to the supermarket in the dust (it's REALLY dusty). Also minimal toiletries means that if you were expecting hotel toiletries you have to go and buy shampoo and conditioner.
We were there at the end of the season and some things were looking tired - broken hammocks by the beach and a less than sparkling pool. However we weren't paying end of season prices!

So we really liked it but it would have been easy to get at least one more star from us with minimal expenditure.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Warren, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This was my second trip to the Santa Teresa area and my first stay at the Playa Cielo. I only wish I had found this place earlier. I traveled with my wife and two daughters (13 and 9) and everyone had a great time. Sol and Adele were wonderful hosts and made sure we had everything we needed. The grounds are beautifully maintained and our villa was always kept clean. The little things they did were nice, like always having clean towels for the shower and beach, a beautiful, fresh fruit plate every morning, and help with whatever we needed. The Habanero restaurant was not only very convenient, but also very tasty. The location of the hotel is perfect. We like to surf and one of the best breaks is a 50 yard walk south on the beach, so it's very easy to get in as many sessions as you can take. The kids had a ball at low tide exploring the many tide pools. All of the restaurants and other beaches are easy to get to, however, I recommend renting an SUV to get around, as you will have a lot more fun this way. I really can't say enough about what a great time we had. I can only look forward to my next visit.

Room Tip: villa #4 is only six months old and has 2 master bedroom suites.
Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Our whole family found something unique to love about Playa Cielo. The entire staff was always available and helped to organize and make our two weeks perfect. It's very rare that you find a place this special.

• Stayed March 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

There is no doubt that the setting and accommodations at this hotel are among the most beautiful in the world. And since there are only 4 guest houses, the attention you receive from the staff is plentiful. The beach is gorgeous and the pool is pleasant enough. Santa Theresa is what it is....a surfing village. The dust, the heat, and the difficulty driving might be a bummer for those who are not there to surf.
A couple of complaints about the hotel though. The restaurant is mediocre at best. We stayed two nights and had a rather unpleasant experience at the restaurant, which is too bad because it is the ideal setting right on the beach. But the music was too loud, the omnipresence of barking dogs and a table of 7 or 8 six year old girls made us feel like we were intruders at someone's house party rather than guests at a hotel.
A platter of fruit was delivered every morning. Delicious and very welcome! The hammock and porch are perfect for relaxation.
Overall though, a beautiful hotel and a very comfortable and relaxing stay.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

I normally don't write reviews but this place must be notable as a perfect getaway destination.
This is my 3rd consecutive year in Santa Teresa. I couldn't find any reason to choose a different hotel. The proximity to the ocean, one of the best surf point, the rooms, design, landscape, amenities and Habanero restaurant all made me go back every year.
I think the price is reasonable and justified (I have looked in many other places).
Hope to come back again next year!!!

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Playa Cielo? Share your experiences!