“Learning Spanish and to surfe in paradise!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Perfect Sunset School

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Santa Teresa
Perfect Sunset School
Save Saved
You added Perfect Sunset School to your Saves list
400 mtrs north from El Penon, Santa Teresa 1416, Costa Rica   |
Zealand, Denmark
“Learning Spanish and to surfe in paradise!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My husband and I stayed 4 weeks (from 7 June 2014) with Gustavo at The Perfect Sunset School. I took Spanish lessions and we both had surfing lessions.

The teachers (Vicky in Spanish class, Fernando and Gustavo giving surf classes) were really great. The Spanish classes had very few students (two or three) and we learned a lot. We were lucky to have surf lessons one on one and my husband who had (wind)surfed before and me being a beginner both learned so much. The local beach Playa Hermosa (short walk from the school) is the best place to learn and not crowded at all. It is so beautiful and really has the best sunsets in the world. :-) The beach is wide with beautiful sand, beautiful ocean and sand bottom. The rainforrest litterally ends at the beach. The beach is perfect for learning but also good for experienced surfers. You can more or less surf all day - some hours being better than others, but you are able to practise out side of classes.

Gustavo became a very good friend and he went out of his way to make sure we felt welcome and assisted us with all we needed, took us places, spent time with us, shared his knowledge of what to do, booked things for us, and treated us as good friends from the very first day. He introduced us to a lot of locals and all we met were really nice people.

The school had just moved and we stayed in small apartments that were basic but had what was needed (beds, dining area, small kitchen, bathroom with shower, wifi (not the best in the world). We were able to do laundry and the apartment was cleaned and linen changed once a week. You are able to buy food items just down the stairs and you have two VERY good restaurants (both now my favorite restaurants - one having live music as well on Saturdays) near by and a nice cafe as well (early June being low season they were closed but they all started opening up during our stay). Playa Hermosa is out side of Santa Teresa and not really walking distance in the heat or in the dark at night. With Gustavos help, we rented bikes (dont expect upscale bikes in Santa Teresa). If you want to be able to go into town at all hours you may want to rent a motor bike or an ATW. Alternatively there are taxis. Also, Gustavo was very helpful giving us a ride when he was going to town.

Where Santa Teresa is busy with bars and restaurants you really feel as living in the jungle at Playa Hermosa. It is a small community, the beach is wonderful and you have rainforest and howler monkeys right outside your door. People are so friendly at Play Hermosa and as said we met so many really great people. We are going back for sure in the near future and would love to stay with Gustavo again learning even more Spanish and surfing. :-)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014 via mobile

I highly recommend taking a couple hours out of your day to work on your spanish at this school. Gustavo is a very patient teacher and was able to quickly assess my level and work on the most important concepts for me at the time.

If you love Costa Rica, take some time to learn the language. You will make many friends and a little spanish does go along way. Don't be afraid! we all start somewhere. For me it is a project in the works! I will definitely come back to the Perfect Sunset School each time I return to Playa Hermosa/Santa Teresa.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Comox, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

I would, without hesitation and with full confidence, highly recommend Gustavo as a private Spanish instructor! I encourage anyone travelling here for more than a few days to invest the time (and money) in learning the local language - not only does it stimulate the intellect but it enhances all aspects of travelling to a beautiful, culturally rich and friendly country like Costa Rica. Gustavo is able to tailor the program to your level and quickly assesses where one is at with the language. He is encouraging as well as friendly and provides good homework exercises to improve skill quickly. We had 4 consecutive days of intense 2hr lessons (he came to us at our house in Santa Teresa each afternoon) and by the end of this 8hr tour-de-force, I was actually able to converse with locals on my own. I am a nervous learner when it comes to languages and to feel at ease with a new language following only 4 days of training is a real treat! MUCHAS GRACIAS Gustavo!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
bali
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

We can only recommend the perfectsunschool as it is a very serious school with great teachers. Our two sons 11 and 13 took a four weeks course with Gustavo and had great pleasure in learning a complete new language. Lessons were well prepared interesting and very lively. They had fun and acquired a good spanish level at the end of the course. If you want to spend some time in a beautiful place relax and learn some spanish plus good surf that s the place!
Even if you don t stay at the surf camp, just get in touch with gustavo and he will arrange spanish lessons for you . Don t miss it

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Choosing Perfect Sunset School was really one of the best travel choices I have ever made. I knew I was looking forward to an opportunity to improve my surfing and Spanish while relaxing in a special part of Costa Rica, but the warm welcome and personalized teaching at the school was above and beyond anything I had expected. Gustavo is an incredibly patient instructor, and quickly knows how to cater to individual skills levels. He is completely committed to helping you learn and I really appreciated that he wasn’t afraid to nudge me into more challenging situations that really helped me improve. Through it all, you also can always count on his genuine encouragement and support.

I definitely had a couple nerves when I landed in Costa Rica on my own, but those feelings instantly disappeared once arrived. Gustavo immediately welcomes you as a friend, and I felt like he anticipated my every need, and was ready to help make my trip incredible in as many ways as he could. The accommodations connected with the school are very clean and extremely comfortable, so I really couldn’t have asked for anything more! I absolutely and wholeheartedly recommend Perfect Sunset School to anyone ready for an incredible, unique, personalized, and unforgettable learning experience. Muchas muchas gracias Gustavo!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

I took two weeks (initially signed up for one) of Spanish lessons with Gustavo. I've been to the area many times, and this time I was there for a couple of months and wanted to learn Spanish. Everyone I spoke to recommended Gustavo for lessons. Now I know why. Gustavo has incredible patience, tunes in immediately to your level, and the greatest strength of all....his encouragement - all great teachers have this and this encouragement drives students to perform their best. Homework was assigned everyday, and as Gustavo said "you can do it or not....but this will help you learn and then we review together tomorrow." I was writing paragraphs in Spanish by the time I was done....and can now understand the spoken language. Back at home now...and Gustavo's training has got me looking for Spanish classes to take so I can practice speaking with others in Spanish. Great teacher!

Stayed May 2013
Köln
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I took two weeks of Spanish classes while I was staying in Santa Teresa. I had good luck with my teacher because Gustavo first checked my level before we started with our lessons. He always taught with lot's of knowledge and fun! I've learned a lot and had lot's of fun! So I could improve my Spanish! Thank you for a fantastic time!!!

Hice un curso de español durante dos semanas. Tuve mucha suerte con mi profesor porque Gustavo examino mi conocimiento antes de comenzar las clases. El siempre enseña con mucho conocimiento y diversio. Asi pude mejorar mi español. Aprendi y me diverti mucho!!!
Muchas gracias Gustavo!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Been to Perfect Sunset School? Share your experiences!