“Great Bungalows and Great Staff” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Manala Hotel

You added Manala Hotel to your Saves list
Manala Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   800 metros norte del campo de | futbol de Santa Teresa,Costa Rica, Santa Teresa 2640, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #13 of 25 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Denver, Colorado
“Great Bungalows and Great Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

We stayed at several places during our trip to Costa Rica and this was our first stop. What a great place to start our vacation. The staff was the BEST and made our stay there perfect. Ronald took great care of us and gave us lots of good advice. He even looked after our bags after we checked out until we could check into out next hotel. We missed the staff when we left and wished we had spent more time there. The bungalows are very nice and clean, probably the best deal in town for the price from what I could see. Close to the beach (right across the street)... Nice pool and grounds. Nice breakfast every morning with fresh fruit, coffee, tea, toast...

Thanks Manala and Ronald!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Miraflores de la Sierra, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2011

I could not pass the opportunity to metioned this beautiful Hotel, I had the great pleasure of staying earlier this year and it was a great experiencie, from the price quality ratio to the confortable Bungalos with everything you need A/C, Minibar, Great Shower, Awsome pool just a few steps from your room. The beach is perfect and just a minute away by foot. The owners who run the place are adorable and have taken the time to make this the best hotel in Santa Teresa, Playa Mal Pais. Costa rica. Keep it Up.!!

Room Tip: 8 Bungalos and all are great!
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

I stayed at Hotel Manala from May 4th-14th 2011. This is by far one of the best hotels in the area. The property is beautiful, clean, safe and just minute away from the best surf spot in Santa Teresa. The beach is spectacular... you need to see it for yourself.

I booked the Hotel directly from their website and they coordinated my pick up and drop off from Tambor. I flew into San Jose, then took a Sansa flight (25 minutes) to Tambor Airport (way more efficient then driving 5 hours). Then a 40 minute drive to Santa Teresa. It was all well planned and easy.

The property has about 8 detached Bungalo's. The bungalo was perfect! Air conditioning, privacy, fridge, great shower, and very spacious! Just as adverticed from the website. It was cleaned every day and it was nice to return to flower petals on the bed and our towels in the shape of Swans. A fruit breakfast was served every morning on our patio, which kept us full until lunch time.

The reception area is located just as you enter the property. You'll find either Marco or Ronald working the front desk with a big smile. They were very helpful and always willing to help... truly made me feel at home. The reception area closes at 8pm, and there is a guard that keeps the post to make sure the property is secure during the night. Santa Teresa is a safe place, but it was a nice to know that their was someone guarding the entrance while we slept.

Santa Teresa is literally a surf town on a dirt road. All the locals there seem to have come from Argentina, Columbia, Spain, Israel or Canada. They are people who went on vacation, fell in love, and just simply never went home.

As for food, there are a few great restaurants just minutes away from the hotel. My favorite for dinner was Kika's... live music on Thursday night too! For lunch... i recommend Ginger Cafe which is also about 5 minutes away. If you rent an ATV, i recommend Pizza Bakery, its a 20-30 minute walk but 5 minute ATV drive away.

Obviously if you're going to Santa Teresa, you're going to try surfing. I recommend you get a lesson and your boards from Del Soul surf shool... also minutes away from the hotel. Amit and Daniel are really nice people and they run a great surf school with the great prices.

If you're reading this review, and you're thinking about going.... I'm jealouse! You are going to have a great time!!! I can't wait to go back.

Have fun!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

I couldn't have been happier with our stay at Manala. The spanish lady that runs the hotel was lovely , the service couldn't have been better , and the hotel grounds and rooms are spotless and really charming. it's a great deal for the money. the beach is just a 2 min walk across the road. we LOVED it!

Room Tip: get a room with view onto pool
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2011

My husband and I just returned from a 7 night stay at Manala. I have never had a place live up to it's reviews quite like this one. The bungalows are gorgeous, well thought out and decorated, clean and comfortable. The complimentary breakfast every morning was delicious, fresh fruit and juice- the best pineapple I have ever tasted- toast and coffee. The pool area has nice chaises to lay out on, and the pool was clean and refreshing. The staff in reception were super helpful, very nice, spoke perfect English (which was necessary w/ our limited espanol).
The owner, Laura, goes above and beyond to make sure your stay is perfect. We had a small issue with our rental car and she bent over backwards to help us... I can't thank her enough. We vacation every year and never stay in the same place twice, but we will be breaking that rule for Manala. We will be back.

Room Tip: We stayed in bungalow 5, pool front, loved it
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Perth, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

My husband and I just recently got back from a 2 week tour of Costa Rica, we stayed all over the area but loved this hotel the best. The beautiful bungalows, excellent service and friendly family feel made us feel so special.
Laura one of the owners even went out of her way to inform us of the recent earthquake in Japan and looked into how it was going to affect our return on the ferry. Everyone was friendly and very accommodating.
We also really loved the fresh breakfast that was delivered to our patio each morning. It was the perfect breakfast to start your day. We would without a doubt recommend the Manala to anyone looking for a great place to relax, enjoy great service and beautiful surroundings.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

As a first time, and solo traveler to Costa Rica, I wasn't even sure which part of the Nicoya Peninsula I wanted to visit. After a lot of research I decided on Santa Teresa and after scouring the websites of almost every single hotel there I wisely chose the Manala Hotel. I knew it had a lot going for it from the descriptions I'd read and the photos people posted, but the reality is even better.

The location is fantastic! The gorgeous, well maintained pool is surrounded by a lush canopy with howler monkeys passing through the tree tops twice a day. The Manala even turned me into a bird watcher! There is a path right across the street to a pristine beach where you can surf, people watch (although, it's a very uncrowded beach), and enjoy the sunsets. It's also walking distance to two of the best restaurants in Santa Teresa - Kika and Alma.

Then there's the staff - I left the best for last. These folks really go out of their way to make every guests stay amazing. From the beautiful flowers in the rooms to making sure you've got every Costa Rica adventure at your fingertips. They even arranged a driver to pick me from Montezuma after an event at 1 am!! First class all the way.

Another thing that should be mentioned is the amazing continental breakfast that's brought to your bungalow each morning. WOW! What an fantastic way to greet the day! They think of every little touch too. Now if I could just get breakfast served this way each day back home, I might not need to go on another vacation...

I'm already picking dates to go back to the Manala Hotel...

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo

Been to Manala Hotel? Share your experiences!