“Soul Soothing Sanctuary” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 25 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Walnut Creek, California
“Soul Soothing Sanctuary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2011

I want to LIVE at Pranamar!! This place is truly amazing and special. During the decision-making process of choosing a place to stay, Marianne was so extremely friendly, personable, and eager to help, during my numerous emails full of questions...I thought, if everyone at Pranamar is like Marianne, then this is the place...and I was right! Marianne and every single person who we came into contact with at Pranamar is what makes this place so special. Their warmth, positive energy, and charm are so strong and abundant that the entire place is just enveloped in it. As soon as we arrived, we felt completely happy, mellow, and euphoric. This feeling remained throughout our entire stay. Here's more....!

Restauarant: The menus offered various choices that all sounded too good to miss, and every meal was delicious! The entire restaurant staff made it a pleasure just being there...all very accommodating, genuine, and friendly. What a lovely group!

Room: We LOVED our beach villa! It was so spacious and perfect....housekeeping kept out place extraordinarily clean. The decor was very zen-like and soothing....absolutely wonderful!

Yoga: I had the pleasure of learning from 3 different instructors, while at Pranamar. The first was an amazing guest instructor who offered an exhilarating challenge. All other classes were taught by Andy or Nancy--both regulars at Pranamar--and both extremely inspirational and outstanding instructors! I never had the same experience twice...I felt challenged, yet totally comfortable and peaceful, in every class. This is the best yoga that I've ever experienced! I left feeling motivated to expand my practice and was fortunate to have been a part of their classes.

Surfing: My first time on a board and could not have had a better instructor or a better time!! LOVED surfing! Ismael was motivating, patient, and FUN! The ocean at Pranamar is like a luxury bath --warm water, sandy bottom--no rocks or seaweed in the surfing area---just perfect.

I simply cannot end this review without adding that everyone at the front desk was so helpful and always smiling and friendly :-) They were such a pleasure to talk to! Also, after such an abundance of surfing and yoga, the much needed massage that I received from Stefano was THE BEST! Susan, one of the owners, was a joy and a pleasure to chat with. Through getting to know her, it became easy to see why Pranamar is so special. It is the love, the people, and the positive energy that she has focused on..and it has worked! I will look forward to returning to Pranamar to stay in paradise once more --but to also see my new friends again!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2011

I guess when you love something, you want to keep it to yourself and share it with the rest of the world simultaneously. That’s how I feel about Pranamar.

Having lived in Costa Rica and traveled the Pacific coast extensively, my wife and I quickly realized what a unique and special thing the team at Pranamar created.
We also realized what a great value it is and that others are quickly noticing that the combination of luxurious accommodation, pristine setting, endless attention to service and details, and world-class surf, is so rare.

When friends come to visit us in Tamarindo, we often take them somewhere to see and feel what a paradise Costa Rica can be. Pranamar is now THAT place for us. After only hours at Pranamar, we booked villa for the spring and tried to book a beachfront villa for Christmas week. Unfortunately, a couple that was there that day (in late January) beat us to it.

The poolside villas are simply and exquisitely designed, and expertly arranged around the pool, which curves through the complex, around a beautiful mango tree. The setting is peaceful and casual. We shared a poolside villa with another couple and were really pleased with the indoor/outdoor living, combined with the ability to relax privately or get a massage on the balcony. I don’t think I wore shoes for 3 days.

Everyone working at Pranamar was really friendly and, like all the guests, seemed to be really comfortable and happy there. They are fit, laid back and smiling, and I always got the sense that they’d just finished practicing yoga and/or had a facial. Of course the food and small touches were perfect. The food is always fresh and amazing! Serious foodies should not stay anywhere else. The menu changes regularly if not daily, and the breakfast (including the best French toast I’ve ever tasted) will definitely put a smile on your face when you are finished surfing, walking on the gorgeous beach, or meditating etc.

As a surfer, I haven’t found a better spot in Costa Rica. The waves are consistent. The water is warm, and there is plenty of room. A really nice and fast/hollow waves is a short walk north to a stunning little bay (Hemosa) and beach breaks. A long walk or short drive south to Santa Teresa will take you to even more breaks, with varied entries, open faces and long rides.

If I could live at Pranamar, I would. And I guess that’s a good way to sum it up. Because the vibe is so relaxed and the professionals provide such a warm feel of community, it is a place where (for better or worse) people will want to stay, and return repeatedly.

The beachfront villas are the best surfside accommodations I’ve seen in the country, and the ocean view yoga studio is like nothing I’ve ever seen.

I'm excited for anyone who gets a chance to stay there - as long as there’s room for my wife and me…

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Tipton, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2011

My wife and I travel a couple times a year, typically to some place warm and by the ocean. We had visited Costa Rica about six years ago, really liked the country and the people and decided to return. As I compare Pranamar to all the places we have traveled to and stayed over the last 10 years, I have to say that there was only one place we have stayed that was nicer and it cost almost twice as much a night as our oceanfront villa at Pranamar.

We stayed in one of two story beachfront villas. It was spacious, elegant in design and rich feeling with all the natural wood trim and flooring. The decks were very comfortable and provided a great place to watch the sunset. The constant sound of surf just 50 yards away provided great background noise for sleeping.

Pranamar is not a large resort so it feels very intimate and private because there are not hundreds of guests running around but it has a nice pool, great location just outside of town away from teh hustle, bustle & dust, and has the best restaruant in the area. We ate in town at different places two nights and neither compared to the quality of experience and food of Pranamar.

Being an small resort with a limited number of employees you get to know everyone during your stay and they get to know you. They truly work as a family and make you feel like a member of their family after a very short time. The service is great and everyone to a person goes out of their way to help you any way they can.

Our stay was not without a hiccup or two. We arrived without our luggage and were greeted by an number of ants crawling in our villa when we first checked in. The staff not only took care of the ants pronto (in fairness these are open air villas built in the tropics and some bugs have to be expected) but, they also took our luggage tags, called the airline on our behalf and monitored our lost luggage situation until it was resolved. Pranamar is very recently opened so some of the things mentioned in other reviews are true....the walks are in the process of being permanently completed (they were working on them while we were there), they did not present any problems. They had just completed the bridges before we arrived and the landscaping pants are not mature yet, but should be nicely grown out after one rainy season.

One thing I feel needs mentioned is that neither my wife or I practice yoga or surf and we felt completely at home and really enjoyed our stay. I was somewhat concerned about this when I made the reservation but it was not an issue and we never felt out of place.

I like to fish and was unable to find much iunformation about chartering a boat prior to arriving. However with the help of the staff I was put in touch with a great captain and boat and enjoyed an excellent day of fishing.

We often look at each other at towards the end of a trip and ask each other if we would come back to the same place again. Seldom do we both answer yes.....we enjoy seeing new places and experiencing new things. At the end of our stay at Pranamar when we asked each other if we would come back, we both quickly said yes!

Many thanks to the entire staff of Pranamar for a memerable and relaxing stay!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
pranamar, Manager at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, February 10, 2011
As I write this response I can't help but smile... for the few months we have been opened we have been so lucky to meet such wonderful people like yourselves, you are the kind of guests for whom we cater... people that are looking for a small and intimate yet casual atmosphere. It is like you said, we like being a family and we like to be able to invite you all to our family, as our special guest, I am so glad you were able to feel this.
Thank you so much for your warm comments... I have printed out your review and put it up in our staff area so everybody can read it, it motivates us all!
We hope to see you back in the near future!!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

I have never been treated with such genuine warmth, respect, and courtesy in all of my travels by the staff at Pranamar -- including a hug and kiss by the owner! The food was gourmet, oustanding, and healthy. Complimentary breakfast (fit for a king!) daily. Of the 11 days we spent in Costa Rica on our Honeymoon, staying at Pranamar for 4 nights was our best decision and fondest memory (and we stayed at other nice places, including Tabacon Resort). Great food, beautiful beaches, remote setting.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Europe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2011

Pramamar was our last stop in Costa Rica, we chose it to be a luxurious ending to an adventure filled trip with incredible highs. We were sweetly upgraded to a beach front villa which is a truly extravagant space. it was finished beautifully using stunning wood and every attention has been paid to the interior detail. The hotel as a whole experience is lovely and I WOULD recommend it. I do want to point out somethings which I hope come across as constructive criticism and that perhaps should be looked at.

The staff who we spoke to are are sweet and really helpful, we understood the team there work as a 'family'. One thing though, which was evident, was at meal times some of the waitresses (in particular) tuck into their breakfast, lunch or dinner and the same time as the guests, chatted away with their backs turned. I'm not sure now normal this is, at least where we are from it's not. But there is a laid back attitude in CR which does grow on you - perhaps this is an example of it.

The breakfasts you get within your rate are definitely very good but perhaps a smoothy or juice should be included rather than having to pay extra for it. This is one of those little money making extras that's quite irritating when paying quite such a high rate and considering fruit is one of Costa Rica's biggest exports, its not really right to charge for it, we thought anyway.

The hotel is on a lovely spot of beach completely out of the dusty reaches of Santa Teresa with great surfing for all levels as well as perfect tidal pools for swimming. I would say though at the time we visited it was a shame the garden of the hotel wasn't greener and the young plants haven't filled out, I know this is to do with the dry season and once the rain comes things will look a lot different. It was just a shame there wasn't more wildlife due to the lack of large plants, isn't there is a way of using recycled water to feed the plants?

My biggest gripe, which may seem trivial, was the outdoor pathways which really don't look finished, and every so often you might see a little pile of left over building materials hidden under a small plant, or maybe some left over slabs of paving tucked behind something. Also there is a distinct lack of bridges over the little rivers, so you need to jump over or walk through them, this was a bit odd but could be very easily solved.

Overall though I genuinely believe these points are the result of the hotel only being opened just six months, teething problem, things are being worked on, maybe you do need more help in the gardens, so the outside looks as good as the inside.
I do want to mention the owners are seriously experts in the luxury hotel trade and Pranamar clearly means everything to them. They are constantly on site and are very hands on. I do wish them all the best. As soon as the rainy season comes this hotel will blossom.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
pranamar, Manager at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, January 28, 2011
Like a growing plant, we wish to flourish! We water ourselves and learn about our surroundings and the best way to grow! It is because of people like you that we learn ,thank you for your comments. We would like to let you and all travelers that come across this review, we did change thanks to your review, we have included a juice or smoothie in our breakfast, always fresh! And for our staff meals, since we just opened we hadn't finished our staff area, and being the family we are we thought it would be OK to have our staff sitting in the restaurant, but, we learn, and grow... we have finished our staff area, this way, when our staff is on the floor, the eyes are on our clients! We hope to see you back, when our gardens have grown! Thank you for visiting us!
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2011

Pranamar Villas is a beautiful new resort, but run by an experienced team. The friendly staff was happy to help arrange activities from surf lessons to horseback riding. Daily yoga classes with in-house yoga teacher Nancy in Pranamar's open-air yoga studio were a major highlight, as were the delicious smoothies and cocktails made with fresh local fruit.

This area of the Nicoya Peninsula features gorgeous, uncrowded beaches with no buildings higher than 2 stories for miles around. In most places, the jungle runs right up to the edge of the beach. An amazing getaway, well worth the short flight from San Jose.

Only 4 stars for cleanliness because sometimes a few bugs made it into our room. Only 4 stars for service because while everyone was very helpful, sometimes food and drinks in the bar/restaurant were a long time coming - but worth the wait!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
pranamar, Manager at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, January 14, 2011
We enjoyed your company sooo much! Thank you for making our work so worth it! Nancy's yoga is truly blissful and I am glad to know you enjoyed it! We will be here when you come back, please visit us!
Regarding the little ants, yes, you are right, sometimes its impossible to stop nature, although we do try, our daily maid service cleans your rooms from top to bottom!
Thank you for your warm comments, we will see you next time!
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2011

I am currently honeymooning at PRANAMAR-could not wait to write a review-I have traveled all over the world-and have stayed at some wonderful resorts-never have I experienced this type of service, our villa is perfect, and the food is incredible. . If you are planning a trip to CR-this is a MUST stop.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat? Share your experiences!