“Don't go there!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 25 hotels in Santa Teresa
Dusseldorf, Germany
“Don't go there!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2011

Honestly, I have no idea how all the good reviews are coming from! We booked the Pranamar because of its excellent reviews but we were highly disappointed.
Having seen some great hotels in Costa Rica (Lapa Rios, for instance, is simply amazing) and around the world, I think we can judge pretty well what makes a great hotel.

The rooms:
We stayed at the ocean front villa. The interior was ok but really not worth the 500$/night. The toilets were blocked; there was no mosquito net, which was really uncomfortable because the outside doors and the windows could not be properly shut (almost an inch wide gap) and mosquitos were coming through very easily.
And honestly, how can you call yourself a "green" hotel, when you have got air conditioning but non-closing windows and doors!

The surroundings / "garden" and pool:
There just is no garden or green - just some single plants... We also stayed at the Le Chameleon in Puerto Viejo, which has a really nice jungle garden, where you always saw gardeners around. We never saw a single gardener in Pranamar. The whole appearance of Pranamar, from the gateway to the "lobby" through the hotel, is just poor.
There are also no sun lounges at or near the beach. And only four sun lounges at the pool, which is also very small.

Yoga:
This is actually the best part at the hotel. We had a Yoga lesson with Andy, which was really great.

Service/Food:
Whow! I have read reviews stating that the food is excellent. Forget it. The food is below average. And I don't want to talk about the service... They got our breakfast order (yes, there is no buffet and the breakfast choices are just ridiculous) wrong 5 times out of six. They should really go and visit other Costa Rican Hotels, where the service is excellent and friendly.

Summary:
This hotel is simply a rip-off. Completely overpriced, no flair, no charm, bad food and service. The best thing about it are the Yoga classes and its proximity to sandy beautiful beaches, also good for swimming and surfing. Next time we will go to the sister hotel of Lapa Rios, the Latitude 10 Resort.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
pranamar, Manager at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, January 14, 2011
Dear friends from Germany,
You can probably imagine our surprise when we read this review, as you can see from all of our other reviews this is not the way we work of like things to be. I wish you would have told us of your unhappiness and discomfort!!! It is our job to make sure all of our guests are happy, and clearly we did not sense this with you guys! I would like to review your points…
Our villas – these spacious units have two bedrooms and two bathrooms, the oceanfront, like the one you stayed have a fully equipped kitchen, living room and two big porches… the price for this villa is not near $500, I hope you can verify this. If there is an error, please feel free to email us and let us know. All our bedrooms and living areas in the villas have screens to avoid mosquitoes and other tropical bugs to wonder into your room. We have revised the small openings in these that you mention and fixed them, we could have done this right away for you, had we known.. This way, our guests can enjoy of the ocean breeze and our fans, without worries of bugs or having to use the A/C. The idea behind these screens is to reduce the use of air conditioning.
Our gardens – Pranamar first opened this past July 2010. Our gardens have no more than 6 months, they are still babies! It is impressive what heavy rains can do for our plants, the difference from now and 6 months ago is amazing. Nature works with time though, and we are all being patient.
Our restaurant – Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I respect yours, I am just surprised I didn’t know you felt this way… our breakfast menu has options from a healthy fruit parfait, to our big Surfer’s Arepa, to a simple eggs and toast.. we have home baked muffins, fresh fruit juices… are these options truly ridiculous? Breakfast seems to be a favorite amongst all of our guests..
Our team has worked together in various hotels before, growing and learning how to provide the best and most friendly service. We will work even harder to assure our guests an amazing service, always given with a smile and friendliness.
It seems that overall you were quite unhappy; I hope you understand that our door is always open. I feel most of what made you feel bad we could have helped, had we known. I also understand that this place might not be for everyone and we cannot make absolutely everyone happy… although we will always try!

197 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2011

I went alone with my son and this was our first trip out of the country alone...so my nerves were at me. When we got to Pranamar I instantly felt at ease. The staff are so welcoming and kind and the owners are wonderful. My favorite part was around 530 sunset time when the bright orange light would start to creep into this tranquil community and it's almost your duty to follow it...it's almost like it's calling you. On your way to the beach you hear the sound of Om. As the the sun is going down so are the yogis in the yoga shala taught by Nancy the owners daughter. It is a family owned business which is what I love and they also have children which made me feel better when my son was acting up...I knew that they got it. Anyway...amazing place, great food, beautiful villas and great energy and all the yoga you can get.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2010

My new husband and I just returned from our honeymoon, which was spent partly at Pranamar. I'm going to sound like a broken record after reading the other reviews, but we had a marvelous time and loved this resort. We can't agree more that the people contribute, in large part, to the experience. There is not an unfriendly person in the place and the warmth is genuine. We owe special thanks to Marianne, Mario, Joselyn, Sebastian, Eva, Melissa, and Susan. In addition, Nancy is a wonderful yoga instructor, and Andy was able to make my husband feel like maybe he can learn yoga after all (no small feat). I've never written a review on trip advisor, but felt I had to this time. The yoga studio is fabulous, the food is divine, the recommendations on other restaurants are spot on, and so on and so on.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
pranamar, Manager at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, December 23, 2010
Dear Honeymooners,
Thank you!!!! It does not sound like a broken record, it sounds lovely! This is the best way for us to learn how we are doing. Serving our guests, providing them with an exceptional service is why we are here, and your comments help us work harder and happier. I hope, and we all, the Pranamar Family, wish you and your husband a life full of love and peace, and we hope you to have you back, whenever, just contact us, we will all be here waiting!
From sunny Santa Teresa we send you both a huge hug!!!!
Townsville, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2010

I went to Pranamar Villas for a weekend getaway with a couple of friends and it turned out to be a one of a kind weekend!
The beach and natural environment surrounding the villas are breath taking, not to mention the surfing...but what really made the difference was the incredible energy that you feel staying at Pranamar. The staff (or family as they call themselves) is lovely, I am a real pain when it comes to food (no animals, all raw, specific food combinig) and I have to say I ate like a princess!!!!
Yoga shala = AMAZING as well as the instructor, we had private classes in which we all could practice and deepen our knowledge.
ALL IN ALL LOVED IT, DEFINETELY A WORLD FAVORITE!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2010

The Pranamar Villas are a dream! The accommodations are luxurious and exotic, while comfortable, clean, and stocked with every modern amenity you'd need (including free wifi!). Located just a few feet away from the beach, the location is beautiful and exactly what you'd imagine paradise would be. The best part about the resort, however, is the totally unparalleled staff. Office managers Marianne, Sebastian, and Mario are fantastic - helpful, friendly and they instantly made us feel at home. They were quick to suggest and plan several fun adventures for us, including ziplining and horseback riding. The restaurant staff - Chef Devin and bartenders and waiters Alvara, Venezio, and Kenneth - were the absolute best. And the food is AMAZING. Be sure to take yoga classes with Nancy - the best yoga teacher I've ever had. One might suspect that this is all hyperbole, but everything about Pranamar far exceeded expectations and is truly the most wonderful place I've ever been. My friend and I fully intend to make a Pranamar visit an annual tradition. Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone there for making our vacation so incredibly special!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
pranamar, Manager at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, November 23, 2010
It brings a smile to all of our faces to read such great comments! Thank you so much, it makes us realize this is why we work here, to make our guests and visitors happy, to provide a service like no other and to read your review... it is just so rewarding!!! So thank you.. in a few words...!!! We all hope to see you back!!!
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

From the second we pulled into the drive we were welcomed like family. The accommodations, staff and location to the beach were top notch. Chef Davin and the rest of the kitchen staff created the best meals that we experienced while in country. The wait staff and bar tenders were great. We felt like we had personalized service the entire stay.
I cannot say enough about this place. I would recommend Pranamar to all of my friends and family and I plan on going back.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
pranamar, Manager at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, November 17, 2010
Dear Friend,

It was our pleasure having you here with us. You are like family to us! It is our goal that every guest at Pranamar feels like family! Please invite your friends as well, the more the merrier!
Wish to see you back! Fun, sun, food and drinks await you!

Warm regards,
The Pranamar Family
Oakland, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010

We attended a wedding and stayed at Pranamar this year! I don't really know where to start, but the wedding was beautiful and perfectly executed with surprise entertainment and delicious food and gorgeous views, in addition the rooms/villas surround a flowing pool that is perfect for relaxing and you are just steps from the beach. I only was able to attend 1-yoga class, but it was a challenging and good one and I felt like a new person after it! If you are looking for Yoga, Relaxation, Great food, Romance and Hospitality go here....

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat? Share your experiences!