“Love this place” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 25 Hotels in Santa Teresa
San Francisco, California
“Love this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

My hubs and I went a couple of years ago when it first opened for a surf trip, and loved it. Great grounds, awesome rooms, super close to amazing surf, great yoga, and awesome food.

We loved it so much that we went back last year for another week-long trip, and will likely be back again this year. We keep trying to travel to other places, but Pranamar is always the bar ("This new place looks cool, but is it as cool as Pranamar?").

The town is great (crazy bumpy road into town), lots of good food - but you don't have to leave if you don't want to, there's lots of good food and drinks on-site.

The massage was awesome, the hammocks amazing, and sunsets are incredible. And the fizzers! Mmm, be sure to get one.

The surfing was also awesome. Friendly line-up, easy walk from the hotel (ten minutes), and great waves with plenty of room for everyone. Nothing beats your first night out, when you're in the warm blue water (no wetsuit, woohoo!) looking back at the jungle with the winds dying down, and the sun setting. That's when you know that you've found the best place!

They've got the service down! Dago is awesome about surf recommendations, the guys at the bar make the best drinks, and the chefs have great food. And of course Nancy and her crew have great stories to share with the guests, and genuinely care that you're having a great time. It feels like they're hosting you at their home.

They've got the pura vida thing down, pat.

Would def go back.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
Hello happy REturn Guests,
BIG KISS, big thank you for writing this review!!  We are doing battle with a review by a very difficult guest who has simply smeared us... and I take this to heart... so your words just warmed my soul... THANK YOU!
I cannot tell you how much this means... See you again and again..
Much love,
Susan Money, owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

At Pranamar each evening brings another brilliant sunset.
Each villa/bungalow is unique, but they all reflect the spirit of Bali.
The Yoga Shala is perfect , an amazing place to practice yoga while birds are diving into the swimming pool beside you .And a cooling breeze blows up form the ocean.
The food is to die for, first you hear the staff singing in the kitchen as they prepare the meals, its joyful and infectious.
The coconut crusted French toast is heavenly and the fresh blended juices are out of this world.
The staff were friendly, helpful and everything more than exceded all our expectations.

Room Tip: you can be close to the pool or close to the ocean, or in the garden, theres not a bad villa or bung...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Good morning folks!

Just enjoyed a lovely walk on the beach and returned to Pranamar to find your lovely and warm review! And now I'm eating the coconut french toast: you inspired me!
Thanks so much for writing.. I means a lot to us that you were happy and had the BEST vacation.
Pura vida!
Susan Money, owner
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

i had high hopes for our 6 day stay at pranamar, but we encountered problem after problem with our villa, and the staff and the owner could not have been more terrible in the way they dealt with both the problems and their guests.
our first hour there, we noticed a swarm of about 50 large ants in the bedroom. i called the front desk and they responded, "this is the tropics. it happens." finally they came to look, and realized it was a big problem, not simply "the tropics." perhaps if they closed all the holes on the screens throughout the villa this wouldn't have happened.
then, the battery failed on the safe in our villa and we couldn't get our belongings. the front desk told us they'd be back with a new battery. we waited half an hour, then went to check on it. they said someone needed to go to town to get a battery and it would be another hour -- something they should have called to tell us so we didn't spend our vacation waiting around!
but those were very minor events that we would have happily overlooked if it weren't what happened next. the water tank in the downstairs bathroom burst, flooding the area. it took two days -- and much waiting around in the villa on our vacation -- to get it fixed. while i understand mishaps happen, we were treated so poorly by the staff and the owner throughout this experience -- when were weren't being ignored -- that it truly ruined our vacation. we had no water for the better part of those two days. we finally got a shower in another bungalow, after we asked if there was another place we could shower. nothing was offered until it was asked for. we also asked if we could switch rooms and were eventually told we could have a one bed bungalow (we were two friends traveling together and needed two beds), but could only have it for one night then had to go back to our lemon of a villa.
next i informed them we weren't paying $400 a night for a villa with no water, and after much arguing, they agreed to deduct 2 nights from our tab. but, since we had a package deal, they told us we still needed to pay for our breakfast and yoga from those days -- even though we wouldn't have used those services except that they were part of a package! for a $400 a night resort to nitpick like that is the utmost in bad taste and bad customer service. the owner actually said to me "it's like when you own a house -- things break, it's not our fault." i had to inform her this was not my house, it's hers. and it's her responsibility to fix what breaks, not mine. and above all, i absolutely understand that things break. that wasn't the problem. it was the way she and her staff dealt with those problems that was the problem.
there is no semblance of customer service. when i mentioned we had nowhere to shower while the water was broken in our villa, the owner said we should have used the outdoor showers. i said we didn't know there were outdoor showers and the owner told us, we don't give tours anymore because people just want to get to their vacation and they don't care where things are when they arrive!
the real problem here was the fact that we had to wait around for someone to fix the problems, and waste our vacation doing so, and it did not seem to be a concern for the owner or the staff. this made for an extremely stressful and unpleasant vacation. sadly, it's a beautiful property that hasn't been properly maintained and is terribly managed.
one final problem -- we also were not told until our last night that local taxis, as opposed to the hotel driver, were available for a fraction of the cost. for our final morning, we had arranged for the hotel driver to take us to the airport and prepaid the tab. but a local taxi showed up instead. the manager told us it was the same price, the exact opposite of what he had told us the night before. i wouldn't risk going here again and wouldn't recommend anyone else do so either. they are concerned with the bottom line, not with customer service. they really ruined what could have been a beautiful vacation.
the owner will likely respond, as she has in the past, that we were terrible guests and awful people and that everything that went wrong was our fault -- comments i've never received before by coworkers, neighbors, and other service professionals. so if nothing else, please bear in mind, if nothing else, she doesn't refute that the water broke, it took a long time to fix, the villa had numerous other problems, and we were left dealing with a very bad vacation situation on what should have been a very fun vacation. i am sure it is possible to have a lovely vacation at pranamar, assuming nothing goes wrong and you don't need help from the hotel staff. but why risk the chance? i know i wouldn't.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
pranamar, Manager at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, September 4, 2014
Dear Readers,

I wish Tripadvisor was a place where a business could defend from accusations before posting a review like this, but unfortunately it is not. We had reported this review once and it was removed, but the client has decided to post it a second time and seems like now Tripadvisor decided to keep it.

I will be brief in our side of our story as at least we have the opportunity to write this, even when the damage is done We had an unusual problem with a water heater with one of our clients. It was not easy to repair with the few resources available in the jungle we live, so it took 16 hours to get fixed. While it was being fixed we offer the client a different room but they refused to take it. The next day we offered the client a refund for 2 nights of accommodation It was not proportional to 16 hours, it was for 2 full 24 hours days. The client wanted further compensation and expected us to pay for their meals and massages. I knew a review like this was coming but we could not let ourselves be intimidated by something like this. After all, we still believe 2 free nights was more than most of the hotels in the world would offer. Foreseeing the problem this would be, and against our policies, I offered the clients to refund for the next 3 nights they were staying with us, a full refund. Plus I offered my personal help to help them find another hotel in the area. They again refused our offer and kept demanding free meals and massages. The rest of the story is self explanatory and here is the review. Please feel free to read reviews from other clients and you should be able to determine what kind of establishment Pranamar Villas is. We welcome everyone to experience Pranamar with open arms.

Mario
Petit Valley, Trinidad and Tobago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

Before we even got to Pranamar, the staff was very accommodating - we had some issues with our bank which required two separate payments and Larissa at the front desk assured us this would not pose a problem.

We selected the Summer Getaway Package for our stay which included the following:
5 Nights Accommodation
Daily a la carte Breakfast
One Yoga Class per person each day
One 60 min massage per person
3 Lunches & 3 Dinners per person (drinks not included)

From the moment we got there, exhausted from our extra long journey/adventure from Arenal (our fault), we felt very well taken care of. Because we got there so late, Dio recommended we have dinner before going to our room and was kind enough to offload all our luggage from our car and took it to our villa for us. Dinner was delicious, not just because we were tired and probably a bit "hangry". The meals here really are just delicious. After our meal we met up with Dio who gave us complimentary sarongs for our use during our stay. He then escorted us to our Villa and gave us a tour.

Thank you so much for placing us in Villa #2. This villa was beyond our wildest dreams. I kept asking Marcus if I was dreaming. The staff decorated our bed with beautiful flowers from the garden and Dio was most concerned they would have wilted because we got there so late.They weren't. Our villa was beautifully and thoughtfully furnished. We loved our outdoor shower and our balconies. I especially loved our hammock :)

The next morning, true to form, my husband went missing. I soon found him on the beach discussing the waves with Greg and Dan. They were both very friendly and helpful.

The Summer Getaway Package was perfect for us as it enabled us to enjoy the meals at Pranamar which are healthy, delicious and servings generous. We love to explore whenever we are on vacation so we were also able to try the food in Santa Teresa. (Burger Rancho's Tuna Ceviche is heaven). The inclusion of massages was also perfect because, honestly, the idea of spending more for a massage once I get to hotel makes me feel guilty so I wouldn't have had one otherwise.

The staff continued to be very intuitive and helpful, even equipping our room with the perfect little teapot when they realised I'm a tea lover. They also assisted us in booking a fishing trip last minute and the chef cooked up our fish for dinner that night. We enjoyed our sunset massages on the beach and the yoga classes were excellent.

Honestly, Pranamar is beautiful. Pranamar enabled Marcus and I to enjoy time together as well as our favourite interests - he got to surf, I got to do yoga.Yes, we are from the Caribbean so we love the tropics. We love how green Costa Rica is. Pranamar's gardens are lovely, the layout allows privacy although the villas have large windows to allow guests to enjoy the view. While there we tried to understand who would possibly find complaints with this wonderful place. We tried and after five days the only things we could think of were that the shower head probably needs to be replaced or cleaned to get higher water pressure in the outdoor shower and that one of the screens needed repair.

The staff was lovely and helpful. The owners were approachable and down to earth. Where else can you seek advice on surfing in Costa Rica or have even have a yoga class with the owners?

Thank you for making our honeymoon an unforgettable experience we are still daydreaming about.

We hope to be back sooner than later and yes, we plan to bring babies to meet you one day :)

Room Tip: You must get a villa. It is worth it.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
pranamar, Proprietário at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
Dear Happy Happy guests and honeymooners!

Such a beautiful and detailed review ........THANK YOU for taking the time to discuss so many details. as the owner, what pleases me MOST is that you felt our staff REALLY cared... and honestly, i have the BEST TEAM in the world....i could NOT do this job without them.  But to have a guest recognize this and appreciate it... well, that makes me feel incredible!!
I think that all of us in life, no  matter what we do, can always make improvements.  But NICE people, who are authentic and real.... can make everything work out.
I used to work for a world famous surgeon and we had an amazing team of 46 nurses and staff.  One day a very famous fellow surgeon asked my doctor "Dr. Lewis, how do you find such wonderful employees?" and his answer i will never forget.  He said "I hire nice people and teach them to be smart, I dont hire smart people and try to teach them how to be nice"
WOW......
I lucked out, I found nice people who were also smart... and i THANK you for sharing your thoughts!
Come back and visit us.
Susan money, owner
Kensington, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

Just returned from 8 day Trip to Costa Rica. Spent 4 Nights at Pranamar. 3 Nights in Villa #3 and 1 night in Villa #4. Upon arrival - drinks were offered to cool us down from 6 hour trip from Volcano and from crossing 3 rivers. Were promptly escorted to our villa which was fantastic and right next to pool. Through the bushes could see the ocean - and could hear the ocean. Just close enough to beach. Beach in front is rocky but 5 minute walk to left to large sandy flat beach. Breakfast was included. Portions are very large and very delicious. The food is very very good. My daughter is gluten free, and the second day they had gluten free pancakes for her after simple request. If I had planned better they could have had them ready first day. Had dinner first night at on site restaurant - food was fantastic - though my glass of red wine was a little off... told waitress but I think I was not clear - as she just smiled and brought me something else without offering to take it off bill...I am on vacation so let it slide...dinner for 4 around $210 including tip, a couple of drinks, desserts. You will not be disappointed in the food!! All fresh. All delicious. The Pancakes in the morning come with huge bowl of fruit! If you are not a big breakfast person, order 1 entrée and share with someone. We all tried something different from menu and all were a resounding success.

My teenage daughters and myself had massages... they were wonderful, on the beach and were reasonably priced and would definitely recommend!

My 2 daughters and wife had surf lessons with Pedro - he was very accommodating as to taking them out after rain stopped. They all had a great time. Next time - would have put boards on car and driven the 1/2 mile down to beach instead of making them carry the boards - but wife and daughters did not complain and since we were there to be outside - they could handle the 10 minute walk to beach and pretend they were real surfers!

Yoga: Yoga studio beautiful. Great instructor - I am beginner, all 4 of us took Yoga for 3 out of our 4 days. Classes were varied and atmosphere stunning.

Accomodations: Wonderful. Villa #3 had King bed and outdoor bathroom/shower on first floor. 2 Singles upstairs with enclosed bathroom. The villas are wonderful. You are in a jungle atmosphere so there were ants but they were minimal. Almost called to help clear out the monster moths in the upstair room one night that were freaking out my daughter but I was able to clear it out myself. My one suggestion would be to clear out the moths prior to putting new guests in the villas. Again, bugs will get in. I was actually surprised after reading all the review here on how FEW bugs there were. The 1/2 outdoor bathroom actually had less bugs than the villa itself. Showering in the outdoor shower was relaxing and beautiful! and had no bugs. If you are looking for Marriott or Hilton style rooms - don't come to this part of Costa Rica. Rooms were awesome! Overall look and feel of resort is same as pictures.

Outstanding: The staff (all of them) at reception area were friendly and very accommodating and made us feel very welcome. Staff at restaurant the same. Breakfast waiters were so nice my daughters could not stop telling me how nice the waiter was. I don't remember his name but thanks for the plate of Leches!

After reading some other negative reviews - here is my two cents....Bugs: yes there are bugs, but nothing you can not deal with. However, some of the gaps in the screens in the villas could be worked on a little bit. And if you have a problem just call reception area and they will come to your rescue. Overgrown walkways: We did not experience any and loved the walkways, the flowers, the bushes. On second day there - there were 2 people carefully trimming back from walkways. Staff: I found the staff to be fantastic - not sure why anyone would complain about staff. Villas: could need a little updating/freshening up/newer towels but architecturally beautiful. And for $400 a night - some complimentary bottles of water in fridge would have been a nice touch and complimentary Orange juice included with breakfast as well. Also, a nice touch some other resorts do now after check in, is for someone from staff to contact guests and ask them if everything ok - always adds a nice touch!

Overall - I would highly recommend Pranamar if you are staying in this area of Costa Rica and want a little luxury as well as rustic feel, yoga on site, surfing on site, fantastic restaurant on site, accommodating staff....should I go one? Would I come back? YES

Room Tip: VIlla #1 best. Villa #2 second Best. Villa #3 Third best... depends on what you are looking for an...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Dear happy and appreciative guest:
Sometimes in life the right thing happens at just the right time! I sure remember you folks and it was our honor to have you with us, your spirits, your smiles and the loving way you communicated with all the staff.
Please realize that it is folks like you that make our days so wonderful and add so much to our happiness!
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. We really do try but to be honest, its so darn easy when we are gifted by happy folks like you.
We sure hope to see you again!!
So much love from all of us
Susan Money, Owner
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

My friend and I stayed in Villa 1 for a week and had such an amazing time. Woke up every morning to the sounds of waves crashing! The staff is wonderful. They really took care of us and ensured our stay was perfect. I wouldn't change a thing - well except maybe to stay longer next time.
The food and drinks at the hotel restaurant was really good. I am missing the mojitos already....

• Stayed July 2014
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear happy guest
That review made my day!
I have to admit you stayed in one of my favorite villas, it is awesome!
But I'm equally pleased that you loved the food and drink and our staff!
To be honest I think I have the best family of workers in the world!

Thank you or writing and sharing your enthusiasm with our readers
Much love
Susan Money (Owner)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

This simply was the most amazing vacation ever!!! Thank you to the wonderful staff at Pranamar for being such a big part in making that happen! This resort is spectacular - great food, incredible location and the people who work are the best anyone could hope for! Amazing!!!! Thank you and we will see you again next year!

Room Tip: Villa #1 is breathtaking!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear friends from villa #1
Wow! Your enthusiasm and support was electrifying! I must admit, we all remember you two as happy, cheerful, fun loving, appreciative guests and you know what the wise ones say "what goes around comes around". So I suspect you were just feeling the good vibes because you were putting out such beautiful energy
Thank you so much for sharing your vaction with us. Our arms are open waiting for your return. Much love from Susan (owner) and all of us at Pranamar !

Been to Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat? Share your experiences!