“Beautiful Resort - Just what we were looking for!” 5 of 5 stars

Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Playa Hermosa, Santa Teresa 154, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #9 of 25 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Kensington, Maryland
“Beautiful Resort - Just what we were looking for!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

Just returned from 8 day Trip to Costa Rica. Spent 4 Nights at Pranamar. 3 Nights in Villa #3 and 1 night in Villa #4. Upon arrival - drinks were offered to cool us down from 6 hour trip from Volcano and from crossing 3 rivers. Were promptly escorted to our villa which was fantastic and right next to pool. Through the bushes could see the ocean - and could hear the ocean. Just close enough to beach. Beach in front is rocky but 5 minute walk to left to large sandy flat beach. Breakfast was included. Portions are very large and very delicious. The food is very very good. My daughter is gluten free, and the second day they had gluten free pancakes for her after simple request. If I had planned better they could have had them ready first day. Had dinner first night at on site restaurant - food was fantastic - though my glass of red wine was a little off... told waitress but I think I was not clear - as she just smiled and brought me something else without offering to take it off bill...I am on vacation so let it slide...dinner for 4 around $210 including tip, a couple of drinks, desserts. You will not be disappointed in the food!! All fresh. All delicious. The Pancakes in the morning come with huge bowl of fruit! If you are not a big breakfast person, order 1 entrée and share with someone. We all tried something different from menu and all were a resounding success.

My teenage daughters and myself had massages... they were wonderful, on the beach and were reasonably priced and would definitely recommend!

My 2 daughters and wife had surf lessons with Pedro - he was very accommodating as to taking them out after rain stopped. They all had a great time. Next time - would have put boards on car and driven the 1/2 mile down to beach instead of making them carry the boards - but wife and daughters did not complain and since we were there to be outside - they could handle the 10 minute walk to beach and pretend they were real surfers!

Yoga: Yoga studio beautiful. Great instructor - I am beginner, all 4 of us took Yoga for 3 out of our 4 days. Classes were varied and atmosphere stunning.

Accomodations: Wonderful. Villa #3 had King bed and outdoor bathroom/shower on first floor. 2 Singles upstairs with enclosed bathroom. The villas are wonderful. You are in a jungle atmosphere so there were ants but they were minimal. Almost called to help clear out the monster moths in the upstair room one night that were freaking out my daughter but I was able to clear it out myself. My one suggestion would be to clear out the moths prior to putting new guests in the villas. Again, bugs will get in. I was actually surprised after reading all the review here on how FEW bugs there were. The 1/2 outdoor bathroom actually had less bugs than the villa itself. Showering in the outdoor shower was relaxing and beautiful! and had no bugs. If you are looking for Marriott or Hilton style rooms - don't come to this part of Costa Rica. Rooms were awesome! Overall look and feel of resort is same as pictures.

Outstanding: The staff (all of them) at reception area were friendly and very accommodating and made us feel very welcome. Staff at restaurant the same. Breakfast waiters were so nice my daughters could not stop telling me how nice the waiter was. I don't remember his name but thanks for the plate of Leches!

After reading some other negative reviews - here is my two cents....Bugs: yes there are bugs, but nothing you can not deal with. However, some of the gaps in the screens in the villas could be worked on a little bit. And if you have a problem just call reception area and they will come to your rescue. Overgrown walkways: We did not experience any and loved the walkways, the flowers, the bushes. On second day there - there were 2 people carefully trimming back from walkways. Staff: I found the staff to be fantastic - not sure why anyone would complain about staff. Villas: could need a little updating/freshening up/newer towels but architecturally beautiful. And for $400 a night - some complimentary bottles of water in fridge would have been a nice touch and complimentary Orange juice included with breakfast as well. Also, a nice touch some other resorts do now after check in, is for someone from staff to contact guests and ask them if everything ok - always adds a nice touch!

Overall - I would highly recommend Pranamar if you are staying in this area of Costa Rica and want a little luxury as well as rustic feel, yoga on site, surfing on site, fantastic restaurant on site, accommodating staff....should I go one? Would I come back? YES

Room Tip: VIlla #1 best. Villa #2 second Best. Villa #3 Third best... depends on what you are looking for an...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
Dear happy and appreciative guest:
Sometimes in life the right thing happens at just the right time! I sure remember you folks and it was our honor to have you with us, your spirits, your smiles and the loving way you communicated with all the staff.
Please realize that it is folks like you that make our days so wonderful and add so much to our happiness!
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. We really do try but to be honest, its so darn easy when we are gifted by happy folks like you.
We sure hope to see you again!!
So much love from all of us
Susan Money, Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

My friend and I stayed in Villa 1 for a week and had such an amazing time. Woke up every morning to the sounds of waves crashing! The staff is wonderful. They really took care of us and ensured our stay was perfect. I wouldn't change a thing - well except maybe to stay longer next time.
The food and drinks at the hotel restaurant was really good. I am missing the mojitos already....

• Stayed July 2014
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear happy guest
That review made my day!
I have to admit you stayed in one of my favorite villas, it is awesome!
But I'm equally pleased that you loved the food and drink and our staff!
To be honest I think I have the best family of workers in the world!

Thank you or writing and sharing your enthusiasm with our readers
Much love
Susan Money (Owner)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

This simply was the most amazing vacation ever!!! Thank you to the wonderful staff at Pranamar for being such a big part in making that happen! This resort is spectacular - great food, incredible location and the people who work are the best anyone could hope for! Amazing!!!! Thank you and we will see you again next year!

Room Tip: Villa #1 is breathtaking!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear friends from villa #1
Wow! Your enthusiasm and support was electrifying! I must admit, we all remember you two as happy, cheerful, fun loving, appreciative guests and you know what the wise ones say "what goes around comes around". So I suspect you were just feeling the good vibes because you were putting out such beautiful energy
Thank you so much for sharing your vaction with us. Our arms are open waiting for your return. Much love from Susan (owner) and all of us at Pranamar !
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

This is the second time we stayed at Pranamar, and the second time we were entirely happy with the experience. It's simply the best property in Santa Teresa and the accommodations are top notch, tastefully done in an Indonesian style...but with all the amenities you'd want from a vacation villa. The pool, the Yoga facilities, the restaurant, etc are all amazing and kept clean. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the owners, Greg and Susan, are always there to go above and beyond to answer questions or to assist with anything else you'd like. Regardless of price, this is the THE place to stay. If you can, try to book one of the ocean facing villas...you won't regret it.

Anna & Jeff

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Hello happy happy second time guests,
Now that's the ultimate compliment, to receive such warm praise and it's your second time around with us at Pranamar!
It's hard to really thank you properly for taking the time to write but more importantly for the wonderful spirit and kindness you have shown all of us at Pranamar.
A big kiss and warm hug from the whole Pranamar family
Susan Money, Owner
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

I've never left a review because my travels are often roughing-it-type backpacking in places without staying in a fabulous resort, however, I came here last week for a yoga retreat and enjoyed every minute. In fact, I'm enjoying the memories too.
If you are a fancy pants and don't like bugs, don't go to the jungle by the beach. If you like being one with nature, and soaking in all of the vibrant life around you, yes, do stay here! I did yoga 2x a day, and the studio was surrounded by nature in the open air (so just wear bug spray if youre buggy sensitive) and you could hear all of the birds and the ocean. I loved it. I ate a vegetarian meal at the restaurant 3x a day for 8 days. Every single thing I had, including smoothies, juices, and desserts, were healthy, nutritious, and/or delicious, and the staff was super helpful, funny, and professional, and the lovely presentation of the food made me want to eat the plates too.
I did lots of yoga and surfing, so my appetite was always huge, and was never let down.
The front desk staff was very helpful in accommodations and in getting to and from places, especially booking excursions. We did group trips horseback riding, zip lining, snorkeling, and taking ATV's to a waterfall, and they were all organized for us by the staff.
Personally, I'm fascinated by the flora and fauna, and I'm not scared to see a snake slithering through, a creepy looking bug run around me, or a giant bat fly through the path. Being this exposed to nature, having the bungalows and villas be open to hear wind and rain and animals, is so wonderful to me. we kept our doors shut and it kept the bugs out. I slept like a baby since I was so active all day every day, and I woke up with the sun, which gave me some quiet time.
The grounds are maintained every morning, and the housekeeping comes in and cleans and mops every day. the floors were literally squeaky clean when I would return!
It was not cheap, but for me, it felt fancy and luxurious. I hope I can go back next year!!!

Room Tip: The villas around the pool get more foot traffic, but are convenient. the bungalows on the other sid...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Dear fellow yogi:
I'm delighted you enjoyed Pranamar and the yoga and any little visiting bugs that must have had fun finding you!
And it's well to let people know that we are in the jungle and our bathrooms are very open and the rains had just started do its not uncommon to experience ants or sand fleas or even an iguana in your bathroom!
We are thrilled you had a good experience and hope to see you again soon.
Many thanks.
Susan Money, Owner and all the Pranamar gang
Middleburg Heights, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

Pranamar is true gem,peaceful,tranquil and completely relaxing. Whether your into Yoga or not this place is true find. The staff, the beach, the villas are all wonderful. The food and to me the fact that is a little off the beaten path makes it even better.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Loved how you started this review with "just a fabulous experience"
I think that says it all, but a big thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with our other readers.
Come back again just to make sure we are sill doing a good jobs!
Much love.
Susan Money, owner and the Pranamar family
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I actually lead Yoga Vacations for clients. This year was in Costa Rica and we were at Pranamar for a week. It was beautiful! The place is peaceful and gorgeous - rooms are comfortable and unique. I wanted a place right on the beach with plenty of jungle around it - and this was perfect! We've reserved a week for next year too! It's a little remote to get to - but that's part of the adventure and the staff helped me to organize the whole thing.
Great Restaurant at Buddha Nose and the Spa Services were out of this world. This spot is not to be missed!

Room Tip: They're all great! If you like the sound of the ocean all night long choose the Ocean Front Bun...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear Yogi,
Thank you for your glowing evaluation!
I was walking the El Camino de Santiago so did not meet you but your lively review made my day!!
Next year I will meet you for sure. Thanks again for taking the time to write
Namaste
Susan Money
Owner Pranamar Villas

Been to Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat? Share your experiences!