“Just a fabulous experience” 5 of 5 stars

Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Playa Hermosa, Santa Teresa 154, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #11 of 25 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Middleburg Heights, Ohio
“Just a fabulous experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

Pranamar is true gem,peaceful,tranquil and completely relaxing. Whether your into Yoga or not this place is true find. The staff, the beach, the villas are all wonderful. The food and to me the fact that is a little off the beaten path makes it even better.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Loved how you started this review with "just a fabulous experience"
I think that says it all, but a big thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with our other readers.
Come back again just to make sure we are sill doing a good jobs!
Much love.
Susan Money, owner and the Pranamar family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I actually lead Yoga Vacations for clients. This year was in Costa Rica and we were at Pranamar for a week. It was beautiful! The place is peaceful and gorgeous - rooms are comfortable and unique. I wanted a place right on the beach with plenty of jungle around it - and this was perfect! We've reserved a week for next year too! It's a little remote to get to - but that's part of the adventure and the staff helped me to organize the whole thing.
Great Restaurant at Buddha Nose and the Spa Services were out of this world. This spot is not to be missed!

Room Tip: They're all great! If you like the sound of the ocean all night long choose the Ocean Front Bun...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear Yogi,
Thank you for your glowing evaluation!
I was walking the El Camino de Santiago so did not meet you but your lively review made my day!!
Next year I will meet you for sure. Thanks again for taking the time to write
Namaste
Susan Money
Owner Pranamar Villas
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Pranamar villas are the vacation I love. Remote, quiet, beautiful, well maintained. Yoga area brings me zen just thinking about it. Staff are beautiful, kind and excellent at their work.
Restaurant and ocean are perfect.
I have been twice and look forward to returning very soon.

Room Tip: I like all the villas and bungalows.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Hello my friend,
I think the most powerful thing you said in you review was that this was your second visit to Pranamar. WHat a beautiful compliment!
I know there are a lot of ways and places you could spend your precious vacation time. We are all deeply grateful for your trust in us. All of us at the hotel thank you, and may we be blessed to see you again and again!!
Much love
Susan Money, Owner
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

We planned our trip to focus on Yoga and Surfing. Both of these endeavors were met and our expectations were exceeded. The Yoga studio is immaculate and open, facing the ocean. The regular instructor, Nancy, is knowledgeable, spiritual, and approachable. Her classes were relaxing and challenging for both novices and advanced students. Our surfing instructor, Geronimo ("Gero" for short), was awesome. He told us everything we needed to know and both of us were riding waves confidently after just one lesson. He is also one of the best surfers in the area (although he would never admit it, we heard this from more than one person outside of his company). Playa Hermosa is a great place to learn how to surf and to get a great workout in the process.

The staff was very amenable and especially so when we were booking. The trip to Santa Teresa is tricky but they helped us book a charter flight which made everything a lot easier. There were a couple of hiccups with transportation from the hotel to the airport when we checked out but nothing major. All in all, the staff is awesome and eager to please.

The restaurant is more expensive than the other places in town but it is convenient and delicious. We were very happy with the juice options at breakfast which got us started on the right foot everyday. The waiters/waitresses are all super friendly and eager to please.

We didn't give Pranamar a perfect score because of little things which could be improved: the grounds could be a little cleaner, the paths to and from the villas could have been manicured a little better (our front door path was actually obscured by a few large plants almost completely), the path from the beach to the hotel could have been cleared better, and some of the screens in our villa were ill-fitted which caused us some little bug issues, but nothing we couldn't handle.

Our experience was wonderful despite the small areas which can be improved. When those small things get addressed, I think this would become a five star resort. We would go back in a heartbeat either way.

Room Tip: the closer to the beach, the better. who doesn't want a beachfront lanai? our beachfront villa w...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest
Now that was an awesome review! Thank you for taking the time!
I would like you to know that the trimming of the plants has to coincide with the rains. Sometimes things start to grow a little beyond the walkways but it is important when we trim. Once the serious rains start we really cut everything way down. I personally don't like it like that because I prefer things to err on the side of overgrown but my husband is the Gardner and I have learned that he really does know what's best for the longevity of the gardens. So I must admit it depends when you visit whether or not you will have the plants too thick and tall or too sparse.
Of course there is also a window of time when things are darn close to perfect
As for the screens we will take notes and work on it right away ! Thanks for being so adaptable
But we will fine tune everything again.
We truly appreciate your honesty!
Glad you had a great time!!
Warmly
Susan Money Owner
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

The Pranamar Villas are stunning. I was at the Pramamar Villas as part of VajraSol Yoga Adventures retreat, and WOW, the retreat and villas make a great combination. The grounds are lush and fully of color, all while leaving the path ways clear and well lit at night. Every villa is completely screened in to protect against bugs and critters and also provided air conditioning in the bed rooms if you wanted it Although i slept well with the screen doors open and ceiling fans going, it was nice have the option. Every villa, the restaurant, public bathrooms, yoga shala and beachfront were very clean and well maintained. Aside from usual pieces of nature that might float in and out everything was spotless. EVERYONE on staff was super helpful, accommodating, and very kind to tend to any question or need that i had. I would recommend Pramamar Villas in a heart beat.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, April 19, 2014
Hello Stunning,,
As always, I thank you for taking the time to write such a stunning review! I really appreciate that you acknowledge how hard we try to keep the hotel and grounds clean, despite the big winds we have this time of the year. (meaning we clean the pool and 30 min. later there are leaves etc in it) I'm just delighted you felt cared about and that you loved our gardens. In the dry season, it is really tricky to keep things green so thanks for noticing!
Hopefully you will join us again for another wonderful yoga session!
Namaste
Susan Money, Owner
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

My husband and I were looking for somewhere special to stay on our honeymoon and Pranamar was nothing short of perfect. The hotel is made up of a series of villas and bungalows reached by walkways lined with lush plants and trees. Owners Susan and Greg are always around and their warmth definitely translates into their hotel. All this gives the feeling that you have become a resident of a small, picturesque village.

We booked an oceanfront bungalow and it was our own private slice of paradise. The room was spacious and beautifully designed. We had a super-comfy king sized bed, a sitting area, a bathroom with an outdoor shower and a large front porch with our own hammock and view of the ocean. The beach was literally 15 steps away.

The pool at Pranamar is SUBLIME. (See photo)

My husband and I both enjoyed the morning yoga class with Nancy in what must be one of the most beautiful and serene yoga spaces ever.

Aside from yoga, Pranamar also offers surf lessons. These can easily be booked, and take place right on their stretch of beach. Giro, my instructor, was fantastic. It's clear he really loves what he does. Giro was patient, gave great instruction, and was lots of fun. I was a total surfing newbie and he had me up on the board my first lesson.

All this yoga and surfing lead us to Pranamar's bodywork center. Wow. My husband and I each got a massage and both felt like it was the best one we had ever had.

The hotel restaurant, Buddha Eyes, was some of the best food we had in Costa Rica. Everything is very fresh and delicious. Several other reviewers mentioned the smoothies and juices, and I will also add that they are not to be missed. The staff at Buddha Eyes was fantastic: Carla, Alphonso, Ivania, Maria Jose were all super attentive and nice.

Before we even left we were trying to figure out when we could come back.

Room Tip: If you are going for a bungalow it's worth splurging for the oceanfront one.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Dear Bliss,
This week in our little village we witnessed the passing of one of our fellow friends. There was so much sadness and I was feeling that when I came to work today...and then, like an angel descended, I received your email. Thank you for reminding me of all the happiness and joy there is in life and thank you for our profound appreciation.
I often tell people that the degree to which they feel loved and welcomed at Pranamar, is the degree to which they put love and caring out to us. So really, how do I thank you??
Words are not enough.
So much love
Susan Money, Owner and the whole gang
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

We moved to Pranamar after having a mix up with our original accommodations. We wish we had found Pranamar sooner! They were so helpful and made our transition easy and exciting. Our mouths dropped open when we got there. It was so beautiful and inviting. Everyone on staff was friendly and helpful, the housekeeping was impeccable, the yoga was restorative and challenging, the service at the restaurant was friendly (but a little slow, a good reminder we were on vacation) the front desk helped us with absolutely everything. And the body work! Oh my goodness! If you come to Pranamar there are a few things you MUST do: 1. Take advantage of the beachside massage 2. have a smoothie at the restaurant (or to go) 3. …and a latte… 4. do as much yoga as possible their instructors are wonderful 5. Sunset on the beach. You will not want to go home after coming to Pranamar!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat? Share your experiences!