“Amazing yoga and surf resort, rooms might disappoint some” 4 of 5 stars

Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Playa Hermosa, Santa Teresa 154, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #9 of 25 Hotels in Santa Teresa
UK
“Amazing yoga and surf resort, rooms might disappoint some”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

We finished here at the end of our honeymoon and pranamar is an amazing resort. This is really a yoga and surfing resort, which as that it what we wanted to do, it was great. The room we had was a bit disappointing, hence a 4 rather than a 5, but I would still love to go back and have recommended it to all my friends.

Yoga: The yoga teacher is the best I have been to, she focuses on different parts of the body each day so it is never boring and it is a hard work out, whilst leaving you relaxed and calm afterwards. Most people there clearly do a fair bit of yoga but my husband was still able to join in and she catered well for the different abilities.

Surfing: We had never been surfing before and this place is great for beginners. The teacher we had at the resort was professional, fun and a really good teacher. You can walk about 15 minutes down a stunning white sand beach to the breaks which are regular and at the end of January, not too crowded. The water is clear and warm, but bring a rash vest and strong sun screen because it's very very easy to burn (we are English and very white).

Food: The food and everything about the restaurant was amazing. We had the same waiter most days and his service was fantastic. The food was all healthy and tasty, the smoothies they do are amazing, we had one every day, the menu changes each day so you don't get bored and it always feels relaxed but efficient.

Other things to do: The pool is quite nice and the resort rents ATVs and bikes. Biking around the area isn't much fun though because the roads are really dusty and it was really too hot at any time but very early in the morning. ATVs are also really dusty of course, but they are really fun. Most people use ATVs to get around and you can get to most places on one (e.g. Montezuma waterfalls, Cabo Blanco national park, out for a meal), and it is more fun on the bumpy roads than hiring a car. We'd recommend Montezuma for the waterfalls and amazing beaches, and you can drive over using part of a route where there are no cars, and goes through a couple of streams which is fun. Cabo Blanco is also a great day trip, you can do shady walks through the forest to see monkeys etc. which is nice when it gets too hot everywhere else. Take plenty of water though as there isn't much there except the walks and the small car/ STV park. There are also loads of cafes, restaurants and chilled bars 5-20 minutes away by ATV- worth exploring (e.g. Papaya in Mal Pais has amazing views, cocktails and good food).

Service/ welcome: The service everywhere was perfect, from the moment you arrive, are handed a freshly blended smoothie and your bags are taken from you, to the moment you leave there is just nothign bad to say. Reception staff went out of their way to help us, even letting us use their computer to send some e-mails (there are no computers to use so if you haven't brought a laptop with you don't expect to check e-mails unless you want to trek a 15 min drive to an internet cafe- which is closed Sundays/ evenings etc). The whole resort is spotless!

Rooms: I have put this last as I want you to first read all the amazing things, but the room we were in was a bit disappointing. Admittedly, we were at the end of a honeymoon where we had stayed in lots of amazing places and been upgraded almost everywhere so we were a bit spoilt, but still, for £200 per night b&b we might have expected a bit more. We were staying in a Garden Bungalow so this was the lowest room class and I think the others might have been better. But let me summarise:

Pros: Lovely balcony with hammock, comfortable bed, large fridge, great ambience (wooden, very natural feeling), away from it all feel in keeping with the whole atmosphere.

Cons:
* There are small holes between the wood which mean that the bungalow was constantly full of large ants, some red and not friendly looking. Yes, costa rica is full of wildlife, but there were more ants in our room than there had been in our lovely lodge in Monteverde. They didn't seem to bite us and after the first night, we just ignored them, but it seems very weird that they don't put mosquito nets on the beds. It would have made for a better nights sleep knowing they weren't crawling on us in bed. We had a net with us but there was no way to attach it, seems like could be a small improvement.

* Similar lines, the website says rooms have mosquito screens on the doors- oddly most other rooms seemed to, but ours didn't- we had a bit of room envy because of this as it meant we felt less comfortable opening the door at night.

* Storage- this is an odd one, but although the room was big there was no storage for clothes. the onyl storage was two largish shelves in the bathroom, where clothes get damp. Not even a small drawer for underwear- again, little thing, but was quite annoying as meant we lived out of suitcases. There was lots of room for drawers around the room so perhaps this is something they might add?

* Shower- The shower was a bit rustic- and by that I mean not that powerful and not always very hot. You're a 2 minute walk from the sea, a 1 minute walk from a pool and I suspect this may be part of the sustainable ethos (using less water- which is scarce- and less electricity), so it's not the end of the world, but don't go expecting a 5* bathroom with power shower or you'll be disappointed.

Finally, this isn't a pro or a con, just a feature, but the resort is built like a balinese village which means that houses tend to face eachother and balconies are open and next to walkways. It makes it feel like a little community which is really nice, but you don't get much privacy (i.e. draw your curtains when you're changing).

Overall, I would strongly recommend this place to groups of friends or couples wanting to surf, do yoga, chill out, have a retreat, get healthier. It is an absolutely perfect yoga retreat- probably a bit less of a perfect honeymoon destination- although if you're a sociable, active couple you will still probably love it- we did.

Room Tip: Expect the rooms to be a bit rustic with the garden bungalows (although still immaculately clean and...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
Dear Honeymooners,
I must say, you wrote a very complete and thorough and warm and loving review! Thank you for taking so much time to be so informative.
I do want the readers to know that we have two types of housing here. We have our bungalow, which are our lower end, more rustic houses and we have our villas, which are much more upscale and pricey! So I wish you had seen one of our villas, I don't think you would have been disappointed in any way, and they are always full, so we didn't have the option of upgrading you for this special time in your life. Please go to our website and you will see the difference in accommodations. That said, I think you were still very kind and complimentary and honest and I thank you with all my heart for the time you took on our behalf.
Perhaps we will be fortunate enough to see you again for an anniversary celebration. If so, be sure and book a villa, I would love to see your face.
Happy life to you both, you were both a joy to have here with us at Pranamar!
Much love
Susan Money, Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Akron, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

Pranamar Villas is a stunning, exquisite getaway that will take your breathe away. My boyfriend planned a visit to Pranamar for my Birthday - I was speechless, just taken in by the "zen" feeling and all the beauty that surrounded me. From the moment we entered through the gate, our sights were filled of beauty - the grounds are stunning and well-maintained. The staff was top notch, and a tour was provided. Pranamar is magical - from the breathtaking sunset, to the peacefulness that surrounds you -

Greg and Susan have beautifully decorated Pranamar with their personal touch. The rooms are very spacious, clean, and the outside shower was an incredible experience. It is the perfect blend of serenity and paradise - congratulations Greg and Susan, you are changing lives when your guests stay at Pranamar.

I will be returning to Pranamar - no better place to unwind, listen to the waves, witness an incredible sunset, eat delicious food, and re-charge your soul.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, March 16, 2014
Dear Guests,
I sure remember you two and I am thrilled that you were so very very happy. You seemed to notice every detail and were so complimentary. Thank you thank you!. Really, thank you for your kind words!
I hope you will spend many more birthdays with us. It would be such fun to see you year after year. Send all your friends and family that are as loving, kind and open as you two!! We will take good care of them.
So much love,
Tustin, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

I came to Pranamar for a week long yoga retreat, and it was wonderful. The location is somewhat isolated, so it definitely takes time to get here, but it's well worth it. The villas are beautiful,mine was right off the pool. The beach is steps away, and the food at the restaurant is excellent. I miss it already. My only issue is that the outdoor shower did not offer much privacy as the upper levels of nearby villas could look straight down into it. Perhaps during wetter months this is not as amuch of an issue when there might be more vegetation creating a canopy over the shower? Also the villas a re a little creaky, so if you are sleeping downstairs, you will hear pretty much every step on the floor above.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Dear Yogis
Thank you for your wonderful review. I am doing a tour tomorrow of each villa to find out which shower does not afford 100% privacy but you are right, probably with the dry season we lost the foliage that blocked it so i will find out! This is the first I heard of that so i promise to investigate.
Delighted that you loved the food and the location. Yes, we are remote, but I think that ultimately (once you recover from getting here, hahah) it makes our town even better.
Come back again and make sure I resolved that problem. How's that for enticing you back?
Love to have you
Susan Money, Owner Pranamar
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

Amazing resort in a small surfing town in Costa Rica. The weather is amazing and if you like to surf it's a gem. Pranamar is tucked away just outside of town and its a perfect place to get away. The rooms are beautiful- I picked a poolside villa and its the perfect location. The food is fresh, local and healthy and the portions are big. It's right in the beach which mainly used by this resort. Town is about a 5 min drive so pick up things you need before you come or rent a bike or ATV.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear "a Piece of Heaven Guest"

Your review was just what I needed today. Wow! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your happiness with Pranamar. Most of the time, I feel like we are doing a wonderful job. I know our hearts are in the right place but it always feels so good to hear confirmation that Pranamar is a loving place,from a guest!!

Have a wonderful day. I don't think you can really imagine how much your review meant to me!
Warmly,
Susan Money, owner Pranamar Villas
david
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

So far, pranamar has exceeded expectations. A beautiful location and friendly staff. However, our villa, number 6, feels like it's inside the kitchen. Cooking smells and bashing dishes. And this is on a night where only 3 tables were served for dinner! By all mean come to pranamar but avoid #6!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear folks
Wow, sorry to hear about this. In 4 years we have never had this problem before at least no one has ever discussed it. But I sencerely apologize.
Obviously, with only 3 tables, the noise was a kitchen staff having too much fun! I admit that people often tell me they love the cooking smells as they pass by the restaurant but apparently that didn't work for you either.. I don't think we can change that but hopefully most people enjoy the various and fun foods we prepare!
I'm delighted we still surpassed your expectations, thats wonderful to hear inspite of the few hiccups you discussed. But you can be sure my kitchen staff will be "properly scolded" and this wont happen again! Thanks for your honesty.
In the end, it sounds like you had a great time. As you know, our restaurant closes early, we are not a late restaurant as our guests are pooped by the end of the day, so noise is rarely a problem.
Hope to see you again and we will be sure to silence our crew!
Warmly,
Susan Money, Owner of Pranamar Villas
Iowa City, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

I stayed here for a week for a yoga retreat and it was an amazing experience that I won't forget! I honestly have no complaints. The staff were incredibly accommodating and provided excellent care. I felt extremely safe here and was happy that there was plenty of clean drinking water available. The food was fresh and delicious with plenty of options for people with food allergies.

There is easy access to any activities like yoga, surfing, stand up paddleboard, ziplining, ATV, shopping, etc.

Gorgeous beach and plenty of chairs and hammocks to relax in!

Body workers were wonderful as well... Getting a massage near the ocean was rejuvenating and healing. A must!

Wifi service was a definite perk!

I hope to be back... thanks Pranamar! I won't forget you. Namaste.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear Happy Happy Guest,
Thnk you for this wonderful review and for acknowledging so many of the services we offer here at Pranamar. It sounds like you were not disappointed by any aspect and your enthusiasm is contagious!!

We would be delighted to have you back.and please, if you book, let us know that you are a return guest....as its always fun for us to try to make each visit better and better and better!
Again, thank you for taking the time to write such a vibrant review!
Namaste
Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

I lead a yoga vacation here in January, 2014. It was amazing! Yes, it's a little remote and hard to get to - but getting there is definitely part of the fun! They set everything up for us, and it all went like clock work! From the transfers at San Jose airport to our San Jose hotel, then to the airport again the following day to our charter planes across to the peninsula and then transport to Pranamar. It was fun and beautiful. When we arrived we were given a tour of the grounds and it is just amazing!! gorgeous pool and villas, incredible beach, yoga shala that is magical, and a wonderful restaurant!

The staff was helpful and friendly to everyone. They have a HUGE menu of spa services and we definitely tried them all! Everyone raved about the spa and tried more than one service.

The staff happily sets up all kinds of activities for everyone, from zip lining, horseback riding, SUP or surfing. There's plenty to do. But you could also just relax in a lounge chair on the beach or swing in a hammock. We all gathered every evening to watch the sunset. One night the staff even set up a bonfire on the beach for us!

Oh and the food! Delicious and healthy. We loved the salads at lunch and the yummy smoothies. Really fresh fish every day, So Good! But everything was great - service, quality, etc. We loved it.

It's a beautiful place with beautiful people. Many of my clients said it was the best vacation they'd ever had! We'll definitely be back next year.

Room Tip: If you choose a beachside villa or bungalow you'll have the added benefit of hearing the ocean 2...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Dear Happy Guest!
Wow! I was just heading to the beach to catch the sunset and read your review. I was already feeling wonderful, but then, after finishing your letter, I felt incredible!

What can I say? Thank you sounds insignificant. I'm truly at a loss for words. What pleases me most, is that your group seemed to all enjoy their stay. Nothing makes a hotel owner happier, than happy guests.
We sure look forward to sharing your beautiful energy here at Pranamar. Thank you for celebrating life with us.
Susan Money, Owner Pranamar

Been to Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat? Share your experiences!