“Heavenly place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 25 hotels in Santa Teresa
London, United Kingdom
“Heavenly place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

Owners Susan adds to the spirit & Greg has done a breathtaking job landscaping. villa 1 right on beach is very special. staff are lovely and smiley. Long live the permosmile that is emblazoned on everyone's face here. yoga is first class (according to my better half who has been doing yoga -rather than twerking- for 25 years.) the pasta zucchini was delicious. One philistine didn't like it but then he most likely thinks zucchini is a composer and was probably missing his tomato ketchup.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear Heavenly Guest,
This is Susan writing you. I loved your review, loved all your comments but particularly your friends description of zucchini as a food source!! haha
Thank you for taking the time to write..and thanks for sharing your experience at Pranamar. I honestly think that we do have some of the happiest people on the planet working at Pranamar. But remember, when the guests are smiling, it is so much easier to smile back, speaking of which, I hope we find you in our "home" again soon!
Love,
Susan

201 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

We came as a small family - two dads and our 15 month year old baby, and immediately upon arrival we felt as though we were part of a special family. Susan, Greg and the staff took real care of us. Pranamar is intimate and beautifully designed - Susan with her joy and eye for detail, and Greg, the man with passion for flowers and the Pranamar garden. Nancy is a gifted yoga teacher who generously shares her experiences with all. This place is a jewel by the ocean....

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear Happy Happy Guest.
Greg, Nancy and I all thank you for your kind words and for your contagious enthusiasm! I'm thrilled you had such a good time...and nothing brightens up my day like a loving Pranamar review!
Stay in our lives, we love to see people return and speaking on behalf of allof us at Pranamar. One big kiss for you!
Love,
Susan, Owner
Sausalito, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

PranaMar is a portal into blissful harmony. The sweet and smiling hospitality of the competent and caring staff is a refreshing relief from the chaos of downtown Santa Teresa. With the best location in all of Nicoya Peninsula - situated perfectly near Hermosa Beach and just a short drive or walk from downtown Santa Teresa, you will find a perfect blend of serenity and convenience. The gardens are beautifully maintained, the food and drinks are excellent and fairly priced. I absolutely LOVE it here. I never want to leave.

Even if you are not staying here, do yourself a favor and treat yourself to the wonderful menu at the Buddha Eyes restaurant. Delicious fresh juice blends and cocktails are served up by the warm and friendly Estavo and Karla - my new favorite people in Santa Teresa! The food is healthy, fresh, organic and much of it is grown on site. I feel incredibly blessed to have discovered this GEM of a retreat, and I hope that it will find continued success for many years.

Thank you PranaMar!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear Guest,
Just finished an amazing yoga class and was feeling blissed out...and then I saw your review on Trip Advisor! It was like the perfect ending to a day that is more than perfect! Thank you so much for your kind words, your detailed description and for recommending us to others even if they are staying in other hotels (You urged them to come eat and join our beautiful staff in our Buddah Eyes restaruant)
Thank you thank you! Kind words are worth more than gold to a hotel owner. I hope you will join us in future years, it would be such fun to share your energy again!
Happy New Year
Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

We had the most amazing family vacation at Pranamar over the Christmas holiday this year. All the glowing reviews are true - I cannot say enough about this wonderful place. Here's the scoop:

1. the grounds are beautiful. It's a relatively small property with about 10 villas/bungalows total. Lush vegetation surrounds everything with quaint paths connecting rooms, restaurant, yoga studio and the beach.

2. the villas are spacious, clean and comfortable. We were in #5 right on the pool and near the restaurant. Bedrooms have plenty of space, decks, fans, a/c, screens, etc. downstairs bath has a large outdoor shower area. the living room has room to spreadout and a mini fridge.

3. the restaurant serves terrific food. breakfast is included and you order off the menu - better than a lot breakfast buffets. they are also very accommodating to special requests. One day we went fishing and brought back several large fish - they converted into ceviche for lunch and grilled fish for dinner with homemade tortilla chips. Divine.

4. the pool has two levels - very pretty, water a good temp and perfect for plunging to cool off - it's not a lap pool.

5. yoga is the BEST. 1 class a day is included, either the 9am or 5pm class. Nancy the instructor is a true yogi, with coaching, guidance, support and lots of love. She also offers private yoga classes - which we did once and was worth the money.

6. beach is perfect. Don't be put off by the rocks immediately in front of their beach - they create beautiful tide pools and 'baths' for cooling off and playing with kids. The real beach for surfing and real swimming is 5 mins away at Playa Hermosa.

7. we took surfing lessons and got massages - both were great.

8. the staff and owners were present and delightful but respected guests's need for privacy.

9. if you drive, the hotel is about 15 mins up the road once you turn onto the beach road in Playa Carman. The road is VERY bumpy in the last 5 mins.

10. in addition to the hotel, we ate at Koji for sushi (amazing and 5 min walk from hotel) and Shalamar at Tropico Latino (also amazing).

There is nothing I would change. Thank you!!!

Room Tip: Villas 3,4,5 and 6 are right on the pool. Villas 1 and 2 are on the beach and larger.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear Happy Happy Guest,
Wow! That was a WOW review and I wish I could send a thank you that really could portray how happy you have made us.
I know I repeat myself all the time , but thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review and thank you for your support and trust in us.
What makes a hotel owner rejoice, is when we have happy guests! Hence, you have made my day!
Happy New Year and please come visit us again!
Warmly
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2013

One of the best places I have ever been. Amazing yoga retreat with excellent service and serene surroundings. Incredible food served with a smile and friendship the entire time. The accommodations were spacious and had stylish decor. Perfect!!

• Stayed September 2013
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Dear Happy Happy folks,
Its the day after Christmas and I just read your review. Thank you so much for making the "day after Christmas" so nice for me. What can I say? Nothing makes me happier than a happy guest. May your new Year be filled with loving and kind relationships and may we be blessed to have you return one day!
From my heart,
Thank you!
philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

I don't know where to start with how wonderful and special this place is. First, the location. Right on the beach, with some of the most fun, gentle surfing waves you can imagine. Walk out of your bungalow, take a few steps, and you are on a miles long beach that you are sharing with maybe, on a weekend, 20 other people, all spread out. You largely have the beach to yourself -- paradise!! The beach in front of Pranamar is a little rocky for swimming, but fine for wading and meditating among the tidepools. And OMG the sunsets over the water. We watched every night and it filled us with wonder. A 5-6 minute walk gets you to a gorgeous beach with great swimming and surfing. Second, the people. Owners were on site when we visited, and the staff were so friendly, that after only a week we came to think of them as friends. My husband celebrated his birthday here, and the staff asked if we wanted to have a special dinner brought to our cottage. With all honesty, we said, no, we want to be with our new friends. I think the staff genuinely like working there and it shows. Third, the yoga. We had three instructors during our week, all excellent. The yoga is a pretty standard vinyasa practice, nothing too too strenuous (I am used to a Baptiste practice, so keep that in mind -- this isn't Hatha), with a few Bikram and ashtanga poses thrown in. There was also a Yin class. Fourth, the accommodations. We stayed 5 days in Bungalow 2 and then 3 days at one of the White House cottages. Both were lovely, but we preferred the Bungalow at Pranamar. Bungalow 2 was great, an amazing outdoor shower and comfy bed, plenty of space and clean. I honestly don't know where the bad reviews about bugs and cleanliness come from (??). I guess I agree with VascoDG -- if you are into super-lux hotel chain type resorts in touristy areas, I guess this isn't for you. Actually, don't come here -- you might mess up the Zen of this place. But if you want a chill, restful vibe, in peaceful, friendly surroundings, Buddha and other yoga inspired furnishings around you, and not a lot of people, this is for you. The White House is a little more posh, with a full kitchen, and more secluded. Pranamar has the feel of a community and the paths are almost like meditation mazes. The pool at Pranamar was built to look like a river (it meanders, has a green bottom, and is surrounded by a lush tropical garden) and we loved swimming and lolling around in it. I actually thought Bungalow 2 was kind of a deal -- we got breakfast and yoga classes for both of us included, and given that the room was a good value. Oh -- and the food at the restaurant is delicious. Which is good, b/c there's not a lot within walking distance here (there's one tapas place 5 mins walk away which is yummy, but cash only!).
The only thing I'd say is I wish there were screens on the windows and doors -- we love fresh air and don't love a/c, but it is probably not a good idea to throw open the windows without screens, because this is the jungle and yes there are bugs here. But in all honesty they didn't bother us at all. We didn't even use our bug repellent that I anxiously brought after reading the reviews (I'm usually the girl covered in mosquito bites after the camping trip). In any event, I wish I could have slept with fresh air, but I was too chicken to do so without screens.
Basically, one of the nicest places we've ever stayed. A pain to get here (if you are from the NorthEast US) but utterly worth it. A great feeling about the place and so restful and gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. Thank you Pranamar for a great vacation!!

Room Tip: Bungalow 2 was great. Small fridge, open air shower, little sitting area and bedroom. Comfy, feng sh...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Branson, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

Pranamar Villas was an oasis where you can come to play, rest, relax, and enjoy the beauty of Costa Rica. The grounds were beautiful, the villas were nice and it was great having pool access right of my porch. The food and restaurant staff was amazing. So friendly, helpful, and served the most delicious fresh food! Yoga with Nancy is a must and I don't know that I have ever had a better massage then the one that I got there from Gaia! Great place to stay. Can't wait to visit again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Dear Amazing Place reviewers!!
Wow, what a wonderful and amazing review! Thank you for taking the time to write. Nothing pleases me more than to have a happy guests.
Tomorrow is Thanksgiving; I am filled with Grace because of the wonderful guests and friends that I have the incredible experience of meeting at Pranamar! Really, at age 65, what matters most in life is to be surrounded by loving folks.
Thanks thanks thanks. Hope you have a wonderful holiday!
Namaste
Susan Money, Owner

Been to Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat? Share your experiences!