“Incredible” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 25 hotels in Santa Teresa
sao paulo
“Incredible”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

This review is rather late (I was here in January of 2012) but I was thinking of taking a nice beach holiday this coming December and thoguht immediately of coming back to Pranamar. I travel a lot and this will be the FIRST place I have been to more than once..which shows how much I loved it.

I will break my review up into 3 sections: Grounds, Food, and beach

Grounds: Absolutely stunning. Surrounded by trees you really feel secluded and tranquil here. It was so relaxing. The place is perfectly clean and landscapped. The Yoga studio is right in the middle of the grounds with a fantastic view of the ocean in front of you. The pool is a perfect size, 2 levels as serene as can be with trees providing shade from the great Costa Rican sun.

You walk further away from the bungalows and you come to a great sandy area with hammocks, a bar, and more great trees :) The hammocks were great -I read, napped, and best of all was alone the entire 4 days I was there. As in no one was in the hammocks exept me! I really felt like I was the only guest at the place even though there were other guests I met in the restaurant.

Further from the hammocks a few steps away is the beach. The sand and ocean were fantastic. The water was very warm, waves were great, and again I rarely saw other signs of life. Such a relaxing, 'exactly what a beach getaway should be' vacation. Looking from the beach towards Pranamar you see all the trees blending with the bungalows making this place a hidden gem.

Food: I will keep this short. Everything was absolutely delicious. Everything.

Beach: Well I already covered this but, again, was great. Not Caribbean tourquoise water, but who needs that when the water is warm and the waves are great and you are ALONE. :)

This place is definitely off the beaten path but so SO worth it. I am excited to come back! Thank you guys for such an amazing experience!

I didn't read the comments for the less than excellent reviews..and to be honest, I dont care to because those people are crazy. Nothing about this place deserves less than excellent.

Room Tip: I had a Garden Bungalow..not sure which one but I had an Ocean View and it was great. All bungalows...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Dear Incredible guest,

Wow wow wow! I think we need you to come work for us as our public relations person. Thank you for a descriptive, warm and loving detail of Pranamar. Honestly, as a hotel owner, you dream of reviews like this.

I do hope that you are able to come back and we can share a healthy smoothie together. We really appreciate you taking the time to write such a complete review!

Again, big thanks!

196 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Panama City Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

My husband I were part of a surf/yoga retreat in Santa Teresa and Pranamar was where we stayed. We had the Garden Bungalow which was very spacious and there were days and nights when we really appreciated the A/C!

We visited in late June (the rainy season) and everything was green and lush. The grounds are beautiful and the landscaping is truly a work of art. The beach directly in front of the property is pretty to view, but it's unsafe to swim. You have to travel a bit north/south to go swimming/surfing safely. Not a pain at all, just something to be aware of...

The yoga shala was amazing! Lots of room to spread out and practice. It was unique to be in a pose and feel the cross-breeze and hear the local birds chirping.

The bar/kitchen staff are GREAT and the meals were scrumptious! As retreat participants, our meals were pre-planned and were, for the most part, very healthy. I'm a healthy eater normally so I found them to be delicious! I looked forward to the banana pancakes every morning and my husband loved the coconut-crusted french toast. The fish was so fresh and some of the vegetarian options were so creative!

The front office staff were very accommodating. We needed help with a refund and also adding tips and cab fares to our overall bill. They made it easy for us!

If you're considering a surf/SUP/yoga retreat at Pranamar, be sure to visit Vajra Sol Yoga Adventures' website and their FB and tripadvisor pages to get a better perspective. It was an experience we'll never forget!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

My family rented Pranamar for a wedding last year and I was so pleased with our visit. It was already a very special location for the bride and groom and I am happy to say it lived up to the hype they created.

We were in a bungalow with our baby that overlooked one of the pools. If you are traveling with young children, just be aware that they can walk right out the door into the pool. I watched my child like a hawk, but we all really enjoyed having the gorgeous pool literally steps from the door. The bed was comfortable in our bungalow and our bathroom was unique and had a great
decor. The upstairs bedroom had a balcony to overlook the property and a shower. Wifi was very handy and reliable in the bungalow.

Also, I didn't do any spa treatments on the property. I just saw a massage area, not a full spa. I did go down the road to Flor Blanca (spelling? ) which I believe the owners of Pranamar created and then sold. The spa there was incredible! Highly advise a visit.

Also, I do need to mention that in our case, the window curtains in some areas of the villa didn't give full privacy. One curtain in our bedroom kept falling and the same for our living room area. Also, the noise from the pool and yoga area travel directly into the room. I don't know how it would be if you were traveling and not into yoga, but since we rented the entire place we always knew when to expect things. Also, yoga is one of the reasons people go to Pranamar, so if it's not your thing, don't go. Also the roads to get to Pranamar are quite bumpy. Be aware if you are traveling with more fragile people. I was pregnant at the time and my family chartered a helicopter to get me and another pregnant relative back to the airport based upon my doctor's recommendation. I was in my 1st trimester.

Getting to and from the property back to SJO can be somewhat of an ordeal. My advice is to charter a helicopter and pack light. We had several relatives who had to take a very bumpy ride to a regional airport and then a flight to San Jose. Several people said the flight back to San Jose was a bit scary. "Like flying on a school bus." I think that driving from SJO to a ferry and then doing a ferry crossing, then driving to the property is another option that I would not recommend. I think it would take forever and you would lose a lot of vacation time that way.

To sum it up, the property is beautiful. Food was delicious and the beach was serene. The staff were all very kind and it was a pleasure to meet the owners. I know we will be back at some point and look forward to delicious meals, relaxation and the sunsets!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the beach front bungalow 1. We loved it! The bungalow was the perfect size and we enjoyed our huge porch and ate breakfast outside. It was relaxing to be so close to the water and watch a lightening storm. We loved Playa Hermosa and it's close enough to walk. Breakfast was delicious and the food tasted FRESH. The bed was incredibly comfortable and we had the best sleep of our entire vacation here. We would absolutely stay in this bungalow again.

The staff was okay, but my husband and did not get the friendly vibe everyone else seems to speak of. We didn't get smiles or a warm reception just a straight faced business only interactions.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Guests,
Thanks for your kind words and your honesty. Although I'm delighted you loved your bungalow and the food, I am disappointed you didn't find a real "friendly vibe". Hmmmm, I'm doing some investigation to see who greeted you upon arrival and why you felt it was very business like. Normally, we do give a tour and a welcome drink and we don't take too much of your time then because we know guests are eager to get out of their travelling clothes and into their bathing suits! I have to say, most of the fun begins in the restaurant, or as you book tours, or hopefully you get a big smile if you pass by reception. I will never make excuses, but perhaps there was some issue happening behind the scenes and you were not given the usual and customary orientation.
But I can tell you this: the Pranamar staff is so often sharing food, ideas, laughter with guests. If they detect a couple wants privacy or prefers to keep things more "sedate" they can normally read that. I'm going to put on my detective clothes and find out! So my sincerest apologies that you didn't get to enjoy the diverse and incredible personalities of the different folks at Pranamar! And hence, that means we didn't get to discover and know you!
Why don't you come back and really get to know us? And we will show you our true colors (and maybe we will even drive you a little nuts, because we can be a talkative group!) Thanks again, i sure appreciate your input.
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Pranamar, your hospitality and attention to detail makes you the best place I've ever stayed at. With the delicious meals, massage, incredible pool and partnership with Del Mar Surf, I have nothing but great things to say. Thank you for making this one of the best trips I've ever been on. I will be returning, no doubt.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Hello Friends,
Once again, how do I thank you for taking the time to share your good impressions of Pranamar? There are two ways a hotel owner feels honored: when guests appreciate the little details (as you did) and when they say "Will be back!"
Well, we will welcome you with open arms!
Thank you so much!
Everywhere and anywhere
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

i just got back from a weeklong yoga/surf retreat at Pranamar and miss it so much already.

-the accomodations: so gorgeous. the landscaping is fantastic, loved seeing all the fruit plants and flowers. my friend and i chose the cheaper option of sharing a poolside villa and i was shocked when i discovered we each had our own floor in that beautiful villa, can't even imagine how amazing the more expensive options are. the layout was great; i loved the outdoor shower and door that led straight to the pool. at first i was a little put off by the bugs (since i was coming from my glass box of an apt in NY), but embraced that it came with being in nature and having these outdoorsy accommodations; it was totally neat seeing them do their thing, never bothered us at all. the most ginormous butterfly hung out with us for a few days. lived in and loved my Pranamar-provided sarong.

-the beach: so nice to look up/out and see the water right there and very convenient to have surfing lessons a short walk away. wonderful to have all those hammocks right on the beach for afternoon naps. and my favorite thing, that tide pool to the left of the property's beach, HEAVENLY. saw so many tropical fish in it, beautiful.

-the restaurant: delicious and fresh, we were all always looking forward to our next meal and excited about the food (love the amuse bouches at dinner)! normally when i travel, i get sick of going out to eat b/c it's always so unhealthy, but i felt so good about everything i ate here. love that there were different specials every day. ADORED the fresh fish and gorgeous plating. smoothies and nonalcoholic drinks were amazing, i wanted to drink them all day every day. portion sizes were VERY generous. as for dessert, there was something different about their ice cream i couldn't put my finger on, but it was delicious. that flourless chocolate cake and banana toffee pie and keylime passionfruit pie with the coconut crust...oh boy, maybe it was better i left before i came home with cavities and diabetes.

-the staff: i've never loved a staff somewhere as much as i've loved everyone at Pranamar. front desk was always pleasant and helpful. i wanted to be friends with all the waitstaff, we were always greeted with a smile and loved chatting with them (ismael, alvaro, ana, klara, EVERYONE). got a massage from Gaia and it was perfect. even the people we met through the staff like our driver Jose and our hiking guide Miguel were such lovely people. and i can't forget the pups, Pinky and Dorita, you were adorable and so well-behaved!

well, this was a lengthy review and made me sad i'm not there anymore. overall, everything was wonderful and perfect, and i can't wait to come back again in the future.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Happy Yoga Retreat Folks,
Well you titled this review as Perfection, and I have to tell you… I must title my response as "the Perfect Review". Wow, wow. Your enthusiasm jumps off the page. I must tell you, that even though you said you were sad to leave your Pranamar friends, I beg to differ. Happy, smiling, loving folks like you never leave us: you reside in our memories for life!
Please come back. You make us feel as good as we made you feel: Perfect!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I just enjoyed a wonderful eight days at Pranamar at the end of our honeymoon. From the beautifully designed and decorated villas, to the friendly and helpful staff, to the fresh and delicious food, this was one of the most enjoyable places I've ever stayed.

We stayed in one of the beachfront villas, which we thought was worth the slightly higher price as you could watch the waves crash from the comfort of the villa's upstairs balcony. We also particularly liked the outdoor shower, the hammock, and the 'airiness' of the villa. Unlike some others who have reviewed Pranamar, we didn't have any issue with insects or bats in our villa. I think this was in large part thanks to the housekeeping staff who do a remarkably thorough clean of the entire villa daily. We did see lizards, crabs, birds and squirrels outside in the garden though, which I loved!

What really made Pranamar stand out from other beautiful resorts, however, was the staff, and the food and drinks at Buddha Eyes (Pranamar's restaurant). All the staff, and particularly the restaurant staff, were very friendly, happy, helpful and attentive. They really made us feel very welcome and were only too happy to help - including with surfing tips and practising our Spanish, all while maintaining efficient service. And the food was fantastic! The meals were fresh and tasty, and the drinks were equally delicious - make sure you try a Shiva's Nectar!

We also enjoyed the smaller size of the resort. Even though I think most of the villas and bungalows were occupied, the resort was never noisy or crowded, and we nearly always had the pool to ourselves.

I would highly recommend Pranamar, and look forward to returning, hopefully in the not too distant future!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Happy Honeymooners!
I’m sitting in the airport in Guatemala - as I was shopping for the hotel gift store - when I read your review! You have just cheered me up no end, even waiting for a late flight isn’t bothering me after reading your glowing account! You said so many kind and wonderful things. But I must tell you, what really makes my heart race was your love of staff and restaurant. It’s always hard to please all the different kind of diets and food likes, so I’m so happy you were impressed! And I agree about Shiva’s Nectar. I think it is the favorite drink. So thank you for making this day perfect! And come back and revisit us and share your lovely energy again!
So much appreciation,
Susan Money, Owner

Been to Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat? Share your experiences!