“Perfect anniversay stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 25 hotels in Santa Teresa
San Diego
“Perfect anniversay stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the beach front bungalow 1. We loved it! The bungalow was the perfect size and we enjoyed our huge porch and ate breakfast outside. It was relaxing to be so close to the water and watch a lightening storm. We loved Playa Hermosa and it's close enough to walk. Breakfast was delicious and the food tasted FRESH. The bed was incredibly comfortable and we had the best sleep of our entire vacation here. We would absolutely stay in this bungalow again.

The staff was okay, but my husband and did not get the friendly vibe everyone else seems to speak of. We didn't get smiles or a warm reception just a straight faced business only interactions.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Guests,
Thanks for your kind words and your honesty. Although I'm delighted you loved your bungalow and the food, I am disappointed you didn't find a real "friendly vibe". Hmmmm, I'm doing some investigation to see who greeted you upon arrival and why you felt it was very business like. Normally, we do give a tour and a welcome drink and we don't take too much of your time then because we know guests are eager to get out of their travelling clothes and into their bathing suits! I have to say, most of the fun begins in the restaurant, or as you book tours, or hopefully you get a big smile if you pass by reception. I will never make excuses, but perhaps there was some issue happening behind the scenes and you were not given the usual and customary orientation.
But I can tell you this: the Pranamar staff is so often sharing food, ideas, laughter with guests. If they detect a couple wants privacy or prefers to keep things more "sedate" they can normally read that. I'm going to put on my detective clothes and find out! So my sincerest apologies that you didn't get to enjoy the diverse and incredible personalities of the different folks at Pranamar! And hence, that means we didn't get to discover and know you!
Why don't you come back and really get to know us? And we will show you our true colors (and maybe we will even drive you a little nuts, because we can be a talkative group!) Thanks again, i sure appreciate your input.

194 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Pranamar, your hospitality and attention to detail makes you the best place I've ever stayed at. With the delicious meals, massage, incredible pool and partnership with Del Mar Surf, I have nothing but great things to say. Thank you for making this one of the best trips I've ever been on. I will be returning, no doubt.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Hello Friends,
Once again, how do I thank you for taking the time to share your good impressions of Pranamar? There are two ways a hotel owner feels honored: when guests appreciate the little details (as you did) and when they say "Will be back!"
Well, we will welcome you with open arms!
Thank you so much!
Everywhere and anywhere
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

i just got back from a weeklong yoga/surf retreat at Pranamar and miss it so much already.

-the accomodations: so gorgeous. the landscaping is fantastic, loved seeing all the fruit plants and flowers. my friend and i chose the cheaper option of sharing a poolside villa and i was shocked when i discovered we each had our own floor in that beautiful villa, can't even imagine how amazing the more expensive options are. the layout was great; i loved the outdoor shower and door that led straight to the pool. at first i was a little put off by the bugs (since i was coming from my glass box of an apt in NY), but embraced that it came with being in nature and having these outdoorsy accommodations; it was totally neat seeing them do their thing, never bothered us at all. the most ginormous butterfly hung out with us for a few days. lived in and loved my Pranamar-provided sarong.

-the beach: so nice to look up/out and see the water right there and very convenient to have surfing lessons a short walk away. wonderful to have all those hammocks right on the beach for afternoon naps. and my favorite thing, that tide pool to the left of the property's beach, HEAVENLY. saw so many tropical fish in it, beautiful.

-the restaurant: delicious and fresh, we were all always looking forward to our next meal and excited about the food (love the amuse bouches at dinner)! normally when i travel, i get sick of going out to eat b/c it's always so unhealthy, but i felt so good about everything i ate here. love that there were different specials every day. ADORED the fresh fish and gorgeous plating. smoothies and nonalcoholic drinks were amazing, i wanted to drink them all day every day. portion sizes were VERY generous. as for dessert, there was something different about their ice cream i couldn't put my finger on, but it was delicious. that flourless chocolate cake and banana toffee pie and keylime passionfruit pie with the coconut crust...oh boy, maybe it was better i left before i came home with cavities and diabetes.

-the staff: i've never loved a staff somewhere as much as i've loved everyone at Pranamar. front desk was always pleasant and helpful. i wanted to be friends with all the waitstaff, we were always greeted with a smile and loved chatting with them (ismael, alvaro, ana, klara, EVERYONE). got a massage from Gaia and it was perfect. even the people we met through the staff like our driver Jose and our hiking guide Miguel were such lovely people. and i can't forget the pups, Pinky and Dorita, you were adorable and so well-behaved!

well, this was a lengthy review and made me sad i'm not there anymore. overall, everything was wonderful and perfect, and i can't wait to come back again in the future.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Happy Yoga Retreat Folks,
Well you titled this review as Perfection, and I have to tell you… I must title my response as "the Perfect Review". Wow, wow. Your enthusiasm jumps off the page. I must tell you, that even though you said you were sad to leave your Pranamar friends, I beg to differ. Happy, smiling, loving folks like you never leave us: you reside in our memories for life!
Please come back. You make us feel as good as we made you feel: Perfect!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I just enjoyed a wonderful eight days at Pranamar at the end of our honeymoon. From the beautifully designed and decorated villas, to the friendly and helpful staff, to the fresh and delicious food, this was one of the most enjoyable places I've ever stayed.

We stayed in one of the beachfront villas, which we thought was worth the slightly higher price as you could watch the waves crash from the comfort of the villa's upstairs balcony. We also particularly liked the outdoor shower, the hammock, and the 'airiness' of the villa. Unlike some others who have reviewed Pranamar, we didn't have any issue with insects or bats in our villa. I think this was in large part thanks to the housekeeping staff who do a remarkably thorough clean of the entire villa daily. We did see lizards, crabs, birds and squirrels outside in the garden though, which I loved!

What really made Pranamar stand out from other beautiful resorts, however, was the staff, and the food and drinks at Buddha Eyes (Pranamar's restaurant). All the staff, and particularly the restaurant staff, were very friendly, happy, helpful and attentive. They really made us feel very welcome and were only too happy to help - including with surfing tips and practising our Spanish, all while maintaining efficient service. And the food was fantastic! The meals were fresh and tasty, and the drinks were equally delicious - make sure you try a Shiva's Nectar!

We also enjoyed the smaller size of the resort. Even though I think most of the villas and bungalows were occupied, the resort was never noisy or crowded, and we nearly always had the pool to ourselves.

I would highly recommend Pranamar, and look forward to returning, hopefully in the not too distant future!

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Happy Honeymooners!
I’m sitting in the airport in Guatemala - as I was shopping for the hotel gift store - when I read your review! You have just cheered me up no end, even waiting for a late flight isn’t bothering me after reading your glowing account! You said so many kind and wonderful things. But I must tell you, what really makes my heart race was your love of staff and restaurant. It’s always hard to please all the different kind of diets and food likes, so I’m so happy you were impressed! And I agree about Shiva’s Nectar. I think it is the favorite drink. So thank you for making this day perfect! And come back and revisit us and share your lovely energy again!
So much appreciation,
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

We received the best service, beautiful accomodations, and fabulous food. Pranamar is such a special place. The staff are above and beyond helpful and friendly. The food at Buddha Eyes is delicious and healthy. The grounds are heavenly. We stayed at one of the ocean front villas. I can't recommend this highly enough!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Happy Guests!
Oh Boy! I am sitting in a cafe and I am so happy to receive your loving review! Made my day! So please accept my sincere thanks for taking the time to write and for letting others know that our Pranamar family is loving and our food is good and you loved your villa! Thank you! When people are happy and things go well, we must all remember to have gratitude. I have tremendous gratitude for your enthusiasm and for taking the time to let future readers know of your great vacation at Pranamar! Come back... We will welcome you with open arms!
Much love,
Susan Money (owner)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

It is a very nice hotel and a great location. The staff was always friendly and very helpful, but the real treat was the restraunt! When we arrived the hotel was not full so they gave us a free upgrade to the ocean front villa.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear guests,
So glad you enjoyed the upgrade and that you really loved our food. Honestly, it has taken us some time to really get the restaurant consistently good....the first year was hard. But we have 3 chefs: one is from Venezuela, one is from Argentina and one is from Italy. They all bring some fun ideas to the menu and the result has been great. But more importantly, thank you for writing to Trip Advisor and sharing your thoughts. It means more to all of us at Pranamar than you can ever realize!
Cheers and thanks,
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We chose this location after many hours on trip advisor and google looking at all our options of where to go for our honeymoon. Other hotels in Santa Teresa didn't look anywhere as nice, I even visited some of the villa's that were rated higher on trip advisor out of curiosity - I still don't understand why Pranamar isn't higher on the list! We wanted something private, but a completely private villa doesn't have a restaurant on property and I knew we would want to treat ourself to a few dinners where we could just walk home after a few drinks.

The RESTAURANT is a stunning structure and is never too over crowded with customers. I enjoy culinary experiences in Toronto, and frequent new and exciting restaurants often. This restaurant could compete with some great restaurants in Toronto, and the service and cocktails were the cherry on top. Every night we ate there we went home with ear to hear smiles and happy tummies. I really like how the menu is fresh & new depending on what the kitchen has that day, but also covers the vegans, meat or fish lovers. Oh and the desserts!!
We had complimentary BREAKFAST with our package, and we weren't expecting much, but the menu was great. We tried a new dish every day - our favourite was the banana pancakes and breakfast burrito. I'm going to be craving those pancakes for a long long time.

We stayed in two types of accommodations during our stay. The garden bungalows are wonderful because its all one large, very romantic room with white curtains, fantastic ceiling, and cool bathroom.
We then moved to the beach front villa, very different from the bungalow, the villa had a different charm, it was really nice to have the upstairs patio - a stunning oasis.
The SURF spot - a 10 minute walk down the beach is great for learning, complimented with waves for the stronger surfers. The yoga studio is gorgeous, I do enjoy my YOGA once a week in Toronto, and this was challenging if you wanted it to be, it was a great sweat, fantastic class! I urned my pancakes that morning, whoa.

All in all - A great place for Yoga retreats, honeymoons or anniversaries. Not a place to party, or go with Teenagers - head to Tamarindo if you are looking for that. The atmosphere here is perfect for relaxation, fantastic conversation, and loads of romance. I hope we will go back one day!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guests!
What an incredible, lengthy and well discussed review! What wonderful compliments you sent our way. And honestly, thank you for taking the time to be so detailed. Where do I start? There really is no way I can ever fully let guests know how much I appreciate it when they are happy and when they take time out of their busy lives to write Trip Advisor.
And I must say, you are not the first person to say that they earned their breakfast by attending yoga. The teacher is my daughter and I’m normally at the hotel and always take her class. And then I curse her the rest of the day! Just kidding but at age 65, it’s challenging!
So do come back and stay with us and send all your friends and family, because if they are anything like you folks, we want them!
Much love and gratitude,
Susan Money (Owner)

Been to Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat? Share your experiences!