“Perfect destination for ultimate relaxation” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
30% off room rate
Ranked #13 of 25 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Toronto, Canada
“Perfect destination for ultimate relaxation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We chose this location after many hours on trip advisor and google looking at all our options of where to go for our honeymoon. Other hotels in Santa Teresa didn't look anywhere as nice, I even visited some of the villa's that were rated higher on trip advisor out of curiosity - I still don't understand why Pranamar isn't higher on the list! We wanted something private, but a completely private villa doesn't have a restaurant on property and I knew we would want to treat ourself to a few dinners where we could just walk home after a few drinks.

The RESTAURANT is a stunning structure and is never too over crowded with customers. I enjoy culinary experiences in Toronto, and frequent new and exciting restaurants often. This restaurant could compete with some great restaurants in Toronto, and the service and cocktails were the cherry on top. Every night we ate there we went home with ear to hear smiles and happy tummies. I really like how the menu is fresh & new depending on what the kitchen has that day, but also covers the vegans, meat or fish lovers. Oh and the desserts!!
We had complimentary BREAKFAST with our package, and we weren't expecting much, but the menu was great. We tried a new dish every day - our favourite was the banana pancakes and breakfast burrito. I'm going to be craving those pancakes for a long long time.

We stayed in two types of accommodations during our stay. The garden bungalows are wonderful because its all one large, very romantic room with white curtains, fantastic ceiling, and cool bathroom.
We then moved to the beach front villa, very different from the bungalow, the villa had a different charm, it was really nice to have the upstairs patio - a stunning oasis.
The SURF spot - a 10 minute walk down the beach is great for learning, complimented with waves for the stronger surfers. The yoga studio is gorgeous, I do enjoy my YOGA once a week in Toronto, and this was challenging if you wanted it to be, it was a great sweat, fantastic class! I urned my pancakes that morning, whoa.

All in all - A great place for Yoga retreats, honeymoons or anniversaries. Not a place to party, or go with Teenagers - head to Tamarindo if you are looking for that. The atmosphere here is perfect for relaxation, fantastic conversation, and loads of romance. I hope we will go back one day!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Guests!
What an incredible, lengthy and well discussed review! What wonderful compliments you sent our way. And honestly, thank you for taking the time to be so detailed. Where do I start? There really is no way I can ever fully let guests know how much I appreciate it when they are happy and when they take time out of their busy lives to write Trip Advisor.
And I must say, you are not the first person to say that they earned their breakfast by attending yoga. The teacher is my daughter and I’m normally at the hotel and always take her class. And then I curse her the rest of the day! Just kidding but at age 65, it’s challenging!
So do come back and stay with us and send all your friends and family, because if they are anything like you folks, we want them!
Much love and gratitude,
Susan Money (Owner)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Morro Bay, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

My husband and I spent 3 glorious nights here on our anniversary. We had a 2 bedroom villa all to ourselves on the plunge pool. The yoga was the best ever (and I'm just a recreational yoga person) and the food was incredible. Healthy, clean and served by the most wonderful staff. We loved this place and were sorry to move down the road to another hotel-that wasn't near as fantastic!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Hello My friends,

Thank you! I just had two bad reviews, and that is so upsetting, but part of real life in this industry. So, when I woke up this morning and saw your lovely review and how happy you were, my faith in mankind was restored! I have the most amazing staff (and thank you for saying so) and we all enjoy meeting our guests and really doing all we can to insure they have a great vacation. I have owned hotels in Costa Rica now for over 25 years, built 3 different hotels and each one becomes part of my heart and soul!
Thanks for the uplifting review. Really, in the service industry, every voice matters! But with your review I can celebrate the happy folks that share their beautiful energy! Thank you with all my heart!

Buenos Aires, Argentina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Let's start with the good: The place is very pretty, with particular emphasis on the way the villas are built by the side of the pool. This is very eye catching and definitely enjoyable.

The key fundamental flaw is value for money. This has been my most expensive lodging in Costa Rica up to date (having stayed in equivalent 4 and 5 stars in Arenal and Manuel Antonio). Even though we're in green season, the price tag is steep given the service.

3 big issues:

1) NOISE: First night staff partied in the restaurant until 12am - and stopped only after we had to go to complain in person. Bear in mind that this place markets itself as a "peaceful" retreat which focuses in "bodywelness and rest". Also claims to curfew the restaurant activity between 9-10pm so as not to disturb the piece. Staff was extremely loud, and started playing music at 12am. (Nightfall is around 6pm at this time of the year).

2) BATS: 2 out of 3 nights we had bats in the villa (bedroom and main room). This in itself is understandable given you're in a more natural environment - but then again you're paying a lot vs. other lodgings. On top of that, when we asked the staff, housekeeping said "You shouldn't leave doors open" - when the day before we had been without a door for half the day given it was disfunctional. And on top of that, then left our windows open. We also asked reception about it and failed to give us a lot of answer - not that we were expecting magical solves but at least some interest and commitment.

3) BEACH: The beachfront is totally rocky. Need to walk 10 min north for a clear beach where you can bath.

SUMMARY: Definitely expecting better service for the price tag.

Dear Unhappy Guests,

I bet you were not half as unhappy as I was when I read your review! I would like to address all 3 issues with you, but first and most important, I apologize for the night of noise. That is totally unacceptable to me. We are a very quiet hotel and I was shocked when I heard about this incident.
Not that it matters, but the bartender had 2 old friends stop by and rather than close the bar at 9pm, they kept the bar open. I love young people and years ago I was young, but they "forgot" the rules and allowed this to happen. They have been reprimanded and put on probation. There were actually only 5 people in the bar, 3 out of which were staff, so there was absolutely no excuse. I was not told about it and so I had to find out through your report. When I discovered what happened, I asked my manager to contact you and reimburse you for that night. It is with all sincerity that I humbly apologize. We are a Yoga Center and we are very health centered. But I guess in a perfect world... this never would have happened!

Bats... I must tell you, bats are nocturnal. They do not enter your house during the day. Most people all over the world leave their windows and doors open in the heat of the summer. There would be no reason not to. Our villas do have screen doors and we do have AC So one can sleep entirely bug free. You just have to close the windows at night. I was the one who found out from housekeeping that your door was not closing well and I immediately ordered my woodworker to repair it. We pride ourselves on keeping a well maintained place, so I would rather we repair the door than have you report "the door was broken and no one cared". We do care! I am sorry to say, but when hotels are full, you sometimes have to repair things even when guests are present. I did make the woodworker remove the door so this way he could work on it in the wood atelier rather than invade your privacy. I regret you had to have this happen, but I do hope you can respect that we need to repair things immediately.

The beach is rocky. It is. Well, if you were here 60 days ago, it was sandy. I have lived on the beach now in Costa Rica for over 25 years.
Mother Nature changes things all the time. Sometimes we are sandy, sometimes rocky. But the wonderful thing is, the beach just 5 minutes up from us, a beautiful walk, is always sandy. This is due to the configuration of the reef. So I sort of like that we sometimes experience wonderful tide pools, and other times sandy. But always we have a glorious swimming beach within an easy walking distance.

To my future guests - I hope you can see how serious I take these reviews. I love your feedback, and I also ask that you can see that things do not always go well. This is real life! But we do care and we do fix what we can. Part of life is the unexpected, and certainly that is true with travel. But our commitment is to make your experience wonderful and when we do something which does not contribute to that, I am most saddened. On the other hand, I cannot control Mother Nature and I think that the best we can do is celebrate her glory!

You can be sure that the 3 employees involved in the noise in the bar will never do that again! Have a great summer!

Baltimore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

This place is beautiful, however, if you are ok with insects and bats sharing your rooms then you will love it. We sstayed in villa 1, which is one of two ocean facing villas and I must say waking up to the waves smashing against the shore is an experience in it self. The staff is very friendly and the property's grounds is nicely layed out.

But please do something about the insects and bats and moths becausenit impacts sleep quality.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Dear Folks
I must say, I'm glad you appreciated the beauty of Costa Rica, but sad you do not understand that where ever there are tropics, there are insects! What really confuses me is that your villa has screens and air conditioning, so there is no reason why you would have insects in your house. If you were enjoying the beautiful verandas and listening to the ocean, then of course you are out in nature. I have been living in Costa Rica now for over 25 years. I am always a little puzzled when visitors ask 'will there be insects?" We provide very comfortable interior living, but we welcome the occasional bats that swing by as they eat thousands of mosquitoes and are a natural repellent. I think when you travel to other countries, its important you do your homework and read about the environment. ICT's (Costarican Tourism Board) slogan is "Costa Rica, No Artificial Ingredients". We do not use toxic insecticides and we try to keep nature in balance. It will be a sad day if ever Costa Rica no longer has moths, bats or other insects. It will mean that we humans have upset the balance of Mother Nature again.
Along with the gorgeous sunsets, the abundance of monkeys, the squirrels and the numerous birds....is the food chain for these lovely critters!
So sorry this was upsetting for you, but it's true, you are best not travelling to remote places in the middle of the jungle.
Hope you still were able to enjoy yourselves.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

This place is really a little piece of heaven. Bar staff if fun and friendly, not to mention cute :) food was fresh and different menu each night.
The beach was a little rocky and not great to swim, but perfect to cool off in.
The outdoor shower was my favourite!
Yoga every morning at 9 was the best way to start the day, and the instructors were all very nice, they had a little but of everything , from basic to advanced classes.
I would recommend pranamar to anyone looking for a quite relaxing experience.
Also loved Susan's little dog that joined every morning yoga session with her.

I would return anytime, and hope to as soon as I can!

• Stayed May 2013
Louisville, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

I don't know where to start. What an adventure! Went to Pranamar with Boulderjen (her second time, my first). Loved the drive from San Jose and the ferry ride (sea turtles swimming alongside the boat). I especially liked the bumpy dirt road to Santa Teresa. The resort was everything could have hoped for. The owners (Greg and Susan), were so gracious and friendly. I especially liked the "botany tour" that Greg led me on around the grounds and in particular "show and tell" where he came into the restaurant with some exotic fruit and had us try to guess the name. Our accommodations were fabulous! The hammock on the upstairs deck, the outdoor shower, beachcombing and learning to surf through Del Mar. (great instructors). The staff was lovely, so helpful and friendly, always ready with a suggestion about something to do, or how they could help. Thanks to Dio for his accompanying us to Montezuma falls and Dago for inviting me on a horse trip to a ranch with them. Sitting and watching the sunset as the late surfers came down from Playa Hermosa. The howler monkeys. I am already thinking of a trip back for my birthday in November. Altogether an unforgetable experience. Can't wait to go back and try some of the yoga classes. Paradise!

Room Tip: If you can, get a bungalow or a villa with an ocean view. the crashing of the sea at night is mesme...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Treat yourself to a slice of heaven on a beautiful Costa Rican beach! Pranamar is lovely with open air villas, soaking pools literally steps from most rooms, and the restaurant offers excellent, fresh, tasty, and healthful meals and amazing smoothies. The staff are very friendly and helpful, with good connections to the nearby communities. They can help you scout out some of the best hiking/birding/fishing/snorkeling/zip lining that is available. Beyond surfing, the yoga, offered daily, was some of the best I have ever done. NOt enough?? I heard howler monkeys calling in the early mornings and watched them swing through the trees! There were geckos and lizards all over and lots of birds to be identified. I met people who had really "chased their dreams" and made living in this stunning place a viable option.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Friends
Another great day when I opened TripAdvisor and saw your review! Thank you for the nice words and more importantly, for trusting us with all your holiday dreams. This is the owner writing you, but I have to tell you, I have the best staff in the world! I mean this with all my heart...and I'm just delighted that you found them a wonderful as I do!
We hope to see you again. Have a great summer
Namaste
Susan Money, Owner

Been to Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat? Share your experiences!