“Amazing atmosphere, great, friendly staff. Food was fresh and different everyday.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat

30% off room rate
Ranked #12 of 25 hotels in Santa Teresa
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

This place is really a little piece of heaven. Bar staff if fun and friendly, not to mention cute :) food was fresh and different menu each night.
The beach was a little rocky and not great to swim, but perfect to cool off in.
The outdoor shower was my favourite!
Yoga every morning at 9 was the best way to start the day, and the instructors were all very nice, they had a little but of everything , from basic to advanced classes.
I would recommend pranamar to anyone looking for a quite relaxing experience.
Also loved Susan's little dog that joined every morning yoga session with her.

I would return anytime, and hope to as soon as I can!

• Stayed May 2013

197 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Louisville, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

I don't know where to start. What an adventure! Went to Pranamar with Boulderjen (her second time, my first). Loved the drive from San Jose and the ferry ride (sea turtles swimming alongside the boat). I especially liked the bumpy dirt road to Santa Teresa. The resort was everything could have hoped for. The owners (Greg and Susan), were so gracious and friendly. I especially liked the "botany tour" that Greg led me on around the grounds and in particular "show and tell" where he came into the restaurant with some exotic fruit and had us try to guess the name. Our accommodations were fabulous! The hammock on the upstairs deck, the outdoor shower, beachcombing and learning to surf through Del Mar. (great instructors). The staff was lovely, so helpful and friendly, always ready with a suggestion about something to do, or how they could help. Thanks to Dio for his accompanying us to Montezuma falls and Dago for inviting me on a horse trip to a ranch with them. Sitting and watching the sunset as the late surfers came down from Playa Hermosa. The howler monkeys. I am already thinking of a trip back for my birthday in November. Altogether an unforgetable experience. Can't wait to go back and try some of the yoga classes. Paradise!

Room Tip: If you can, get a bungalow or a villa with an ocean view. the crashing of the sea at night is mesme...
Vancouver, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Treat yourself to a slice of heaven on a beautiful Costa Rican beach! Pranamar is lovely with open air villas, soaking pools literally steps from most rooms, and the restaurant offers excellent, fresh, tasty, and healthful meals and amazing smoothies. The staff are very friendly and helpful, with good connections to the nearby communities. They can help you scout out some of the best hiking/birding/fishing/snorkeling/zip lining that is available. Beyond surfing, the yoga, offered daily, was some of the best I have ever done. NOt enough?? I heard howler monkeys calling in the early mornings and watched them swing through the trees! There were geckos and lizards all over and lots of birds to be identified. I met people who had really "chased their dreams" and made living in this stunning place a viable option.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Friends
Another great day when I opened TripAdvisor and saw your review! Thank you for the nice words and more importantly, for trusting us with all your holiday dreams. This is the owner writing you, but I have to tell you, I have the best staff in the world! I mean this with all my heart...and I'm just delighted that you found them a wonderful as I do!
We hope to see you again. Have a great summer
Namaste
Susan Money, Owner
Boulder
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Yesterday in a local yoga class in Louisville, CO, I swear that saltwater suddenly dripped from my nose and it tasted like surfing and all of my beautiful experiences at Pranamar Villas. Just thinking about it gives me goosebumps! This is how much I love Pranamar; it is my slice of heaven on earth.

I just returned from my second trip to Pranamar. I visited last year, in April, with Vajra Sol's Yoga & Surf Retreat. It was such a spectacular experience that I knew I had to return. This year, I traveled there in mid-May (fantastic and surprisingly dry weather), and brought along two friends. We stayed in one of the glorious Ocean Front Villas (#1) and enjoyed every second of our time at Pranamar. Sometimes, you don't know if you can recreate an experience that was truly special the first time. With Pranamar, I've learned that not only can you recreate the feeling of the first trip, you can make it better because you settle into your surroundings more quickly. So, I'm telling you now, if you're just planning your first visit, it's likely you'll leave thinking about your second and third visit!

I surfed six days while I was at Pranamar this year. Last year was my first time surfing, and thanks to amazing and patient instruction by Ismael, and the warm and beautiful waters of Playa Hermosa, I was hooked! I can't surf in Colorado, so I had been dreaming all year about surfing in Costa Rica. I requested Ismael for this trip and once, again, my surfing guru helped me take my surfing up a notch. Ismael is a gifted teacher and he really knows how to work around your fears in the water. He also knows how to make you laugh!

As always, the food at Pranamar was exceptional. My friends and I found ourselves up early and eager to go eat. Banana pancakes are heavenly, but I love everything on their breakfast menu. We ate most of our meals at Buddha Eyes because the quality is excellent, the staff is wonderful, and in general, we loved the tranquil setting of the restaurant.

I had an excellent massage with Marcella. She's so lovely and easy to connect with! The entire massage experience was fantastic and next time, I will book two or three while I'm there.

Pranamar is secluded and serene and beautiful, but what makes it truly extraordinary is the people that work there. From the moment we arrived until the hugs when we left, we felt welcomed not just by a nice staff, but by people that had truly become new friends. There's never any attitude at Pranamar, just lots of smiles and helpful tips about the area. Many of the staff remembered me from the previous year, so returning this year felt extra special. When I return to Pranamar, I will look forward to seeing everyone that works there.

If you can, stay in an Ocean Front Villa. If you don't live near the ocean, there's nothing more lovely than waking up and walking just a few steps onto the huge balcony to view the morning waves. I literally jumped out of bed most mornings and ran down to the beach for a few quiet moments in the sand. It's hard to imagine how remote this area is, but it's definitely off the beaten path, and in May, I often had the beach to myself in the morning.

There's so much to write about, but much of it is covered in my other review. Yoga was fantastic. Unfortunately, Nancy was away for the week, but her sub, Shannon, was fantastic, too. Every yoga class in the beautiful yoga shala is lovely. I didn't take as much yoga this year because I focused on surfing, but next trip will surely include more yoga. Aside from yoga and surfing, our days included watching sunsets on the beach, eating fantastic meals, swimming in the ocean, evening swims in the pool, and lazy afternoons in the hammock. We also went to the falls at Montezuma one day (with the awesome Diogenes from the front desk), took some fantastic drives, and enjoyed watching howler monkeys in the trees along the road.

So, I am already planning my next trip to Pranamar Villas (more goosebumps)...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Hello to some of my favorite guests:
Now thanks to your great review, I told myself I could go eat some homemade cookies in the restaurant....funny how we have to "give ourselves permission" to eat junk food! But really, thank you for a great review and you have no idea how happy it makes our staff when they see their names mentioned in a complimentary way. Kind words can make everyone's day perfect.
Of course I remember you because my daughter was gone for the week, and I was taking yoga everyday with the teacher we had substituting...and I agree with you, Shannon is wonderful.
Honestly, if you had any idea the power of your words and the smiles that you create when our staff reads these reviews at our weekly meetings.....well, if you knew, it would make you smile as well!
Have a wonderful summer and please come back for a third time so we can razzle dazzle you some more!
Much love,
Susan (Owner)
Truckee, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Pranamar........ahhhh........greeted with cold Shiva's Nectar (ginger infused drink) on arrival is amazing! Beautifully situated on the Playa with multiple relaxation pools, walking paths, hammocks strung through trees, lounges on the beach, Yoga Shala, surf lessons and boards, restaurant, and massage! It doesn't get much better or "tranquilo" than this and I will be going back. We stayed in bungalow 3 which had all the accomodations we needed (It would be even better if there was drinking water in each stay place). The staff is very helpful and will arrange any activity that you are interested in; bikes, zipline, ATV rental, Isla De Tortuga boat tour, etc. The restaurant is VERY good and I enjoyed meeting all the staff there as well! I definitely took advantage of everything that Pranamar has to offer and highly suggest you do as well!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Lisbon, Portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Unique. Both the hotel and the houses are simply amazing. I'm not going to describe all because i don't want people to know too much ;)))...

We arrived last minute in season end (Late April) for one night and stayed three nights (we were four people). Surfing was the goal and this place is right on the Sweet spot for Playa hermosa peak!!.

Be aware that prices in Costa Rica are quite high both for hotel and food, so if you're going on low budget this is not the place for you. Still you can come in for lunch in the fabulous restaurant... organic food yoga and stuf you can find it here... we are loving it so much i'm writing this review while still staying here ;))...

Room Tip: ask for "white house" ;))))
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
HELLO Surfers!
Glad you got some good surf while you were here....Mother Nature doesnt ALWAYS cooperate, but you have a good shot at it in this area! I dont mind that you didnt want to tell "too much", haha, but you told enough that people can find us....so i THANK you profusely for that!
And you are RIGHT, Costa Rica has gotten very expensive. I have been living here almost 27 years and have watched Costa Rica become a FIRSt world country. so with that, comes the good and the bad! But all in all, it is a wonderful place to live and Im so thrilled when folks like you are not disappointed. Thank you so much for taking the time to write.
Much love
susan money, owner Pranamar villas
Cambridge, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Pranamarvillas is stunning! We were a group of eight and stayed in the ocean front villas! The villas were gorgeous with beautiful view of the ocean. The food is amazing, all the staff are very friendly and they take the time to get to know you! Loved the Shiva Nectars Johan made for us.
The yoga shala is beautiful and the yoga teachers are outstanding. If you are looking for an oasis in paradise look no further as Pranamar has it all! I will never ever forget this trip.....it truly was a trip of a lifetime that will stay in my heart forever.
I will be back very soon.
Keep up the amazing work everyone at Pranamar.

Room Tip: The ocean front villa is gorgeous and extremely spacious. It has 2 large decks with full living area...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Friends,
WELL, I read your review and just wanted to send a big THANK YOU for the loving and kind words.....and your enthusiasm jumps off the page!! Really, Im delighted you had such a good time....and that you appreciated Johann our incredible bartender and smoothie maker....he has been working with me for many years in my other hotels. And YOGA, yes, i proud to say that we do have a great yoga team.......my daughter nancy (the teacher) made me stop running marathons and start doing yoga about 14 years ago...and now im HOOKED>
But most important...is that you had a wonderful vacation and that you felt cared for by everyone at Pranamar. THANK YOU SOOO MUCH. AND PLEASE, COME BACK AND MAKE SURE WE ARE ALWAYS DOING A GOOD JOB!
love
susan Money, owner

Been to Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat? Share your experiences!