“Relaxing Experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 25 hotels in Santa Teresa
Aptos
“Relaxing Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We recently returned from week-long yoga and surfing vacation at Pranamar Resort. After a short flight from San Jose, Costa Rica to the Tambor airport and a 45 minute ride through the Nicoya Peninsula countryside, we arrived at the resort. We were greeted at the front desk by a friendly staff and a tropical drink. We stayed in one of the spacious ocean front villas, just a few steps from the tiki bar and beautiful beach.

For the next six days, we enjoyed daily surfing lessons from Juan, peaceful yoga classes from Nancy, and afternoons floating in the warm waters of the tropical swimming pool. Pranamar is a small, intimate, remote resort where you can relax, enjoy the beautiful sunsets with a Margarita, and dine on a variety of delicious, organic food at the Budda Eyes Restuarant. The Pranamar staff were so welcoming, helpful, and always gracious. Gary, Dago, Anna, Karla. Talo, Diogenes, and all the resort staff were so accommodating and greeted with a warm smile and friendly "Hola" every morning.

We would recommend Pranamar to anyone wanting a sunny, warm, relaxing, retreat who enjoys the benefits of yoga and, of course, the fun of surfing.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

188 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Jericho, Vermont, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

my daughter and i just stayed at pranamar for a week, on a yoga retreat.
words cannot describe the experience - truly unique and magical -- pranamar is in a beautiful location. listening to the waves all day and night - the birds and monkeys - wow. the staff is fantastic, best-ever. so friendly and helpful, always there to greet you with a genuine smile. cars and adventures were readily available, whatever we needed. the bungalow we were in was perfect for us - clean, welcoming -- the food was the best on the planet, hands down. we will be back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Hello Fellow Vermonters!
We miss the best "mother and daughter " team to ever visit Pranamar. Thank you for the lovely Trip Advisor letter, thank you so much!
I know that we will see each other again. I will find you when I go to Vermont this July. Until then, Pranamar has its arms waiting to greet you!
Love to both of you
Susan, and the whole Pranamar gang.
Burlington, Vermont, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

It doesn't get much better than Pranamar! The staff is like a family that wecomes you in with warmth, kindness, and welcoming smiles! The massages and food are topnotch, not to mention the yoga and delicious smoothies after class! If you want to be on the ocean in Costa Rica...PRANAMAR IS YOUR PLACE! :)

Regina B. Robbins
Burlington, Vermont

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear fellow Vermonter!

(Did I tell you I went to UVM...about a hundred years ago it seems)
I want you to know that all the smiles and love you received from us is always because we are just giving back what we are receiving from YOU!
I'm so happy that Pranamar met your expectations and that we can hold each other in our hearts until your next visit!
Thank you for taking the time to write. Pranamars arms are open , just waiting for your return

Much love,

Susan Money (Owner) and all of the Pranamar Family
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Booked a 7 night yoga package at Pranamar for February 2013; second trip to Costa Rica, such a beautiful country and great place to practice yoga. Decided to check out the coast and chose Pranamar Villas based on the yoga focus, proximity to the beach, overall value and prior reviews. This resort surpassed all expectations: the food provided by the staff at the restaurant was amazing to say the least; it doesn't get any better and for myself the freshest fish from the sea each day was an added bonus. The accommodations were exceptional in roominess, comfort, privacy and location. We were lucky enough to enjoy the Kulae House; highly recommend this option for anyone making the trip. The yoga was superb! The instruction and the shala were fabulous..every class offered challenges and rewards for every skill level. Invigorating does not capture it. The ocean and the beach are indescribable..This area is a paradise. The absolute quiet except for the ocean, birds, and monkeys will put the busiest of minds at rest. The time spent at this resort is by far one of the best vacations I have ever taken and I feel enormously lucky to have experienced it. Thanks to the 'Pranamar Family'..for ensuring an amazing time.

Room Tip: All the accommodations are good--beach front is exactly that..unobstructed and beautiful..Kulae Hous...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Maria,
Im sitting here in the restaruant, watching a beautiful bird descend into the pool and reading your awesome grip advisor report. I didnt think my spirits could be lifted any higher but you just took me over the top! Thank you for this wonderful review!!
I must say, you are right about the fish; we go to the fisherman every day and only purchase what is local and fresh. So if you are being served fish in Pranamar, you can be sure its fresh! Even people who are not normally fish lovers, will comment that the fish was delicious.
But more important, is that Pranamar was a place you could still your mind and still find a vigorous and challenging yoga practice. As you probably recall, I do yoga every day and its never boring and always something new. So a big namaste to you for taking this time to write and I am filled with gratitude that Pranamar did not disappoint you in any way.
We sure look foward to seeing you again.
Much love
Susan Money, Owner
Sparks, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Returned a few weeks ago from a week long stay with 2 yoga buddies at Pranamar.
It's difficult to put into words all of the wonderful aspects of the resort-so I will try to be brief!

1. The facility, grounds, and ocean view access are beyond beautiful. The Kula House is tastefully decorated and the style of the building(s) fit seamlessly into the environment.

2. The service is excellent, from the servers in the restaurant, to the housekeeping and front desk staff.
-A special thank you to servers Carla, Anna, Ivania, Ishmael (and the others who I may not have named) .....they were truly helpful, always smiling, and so nice to get to know.

-Another special thank you to Jessica from the housekeeping staff. One morning, as she was emptying our garbage, she found a pair of earrings I had accidentally thrown away! She made sure to find me right away, to ensure that I hadn't thrown the earrings away on purpose, and hand me the earrings....In short, what a thoughtful, and honest gesture. Thank you Jessica!

3. Pranamar offers top-notch yoga; beautiful yoga shala and great instructors!
All of our instructors were extremely knowledgeable and taught to accomodate all levels of practictioners. Nancy is extremely knowledgeable & we learned so much!
Jill is a super-special little spirit, so nice to learn from her as well!

In short, can't recommend this facility enough! Thank you Pranamar for a fantastic experience!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Pranamar is a real gem!! We just returned from our second visit there and enjoyed it even more than the first time. The setting is absolutely magnificent! If you are looking for relaxation you have it. If you are looking for great yoga you have it. And if you are look for adventure you have that too!

We stayed in the beach front bungalow which was very nice. Opening the sliding glass doors every morning to the sound of the ocean was fantastic. When we got hot we turned on the AC. We have also stayed in a beach front Villa there which was just as fantastic.

The food at the restaurant is top shelf. The food is tasty, healthful and presented artfully on the plate. The staff is fantastic too. The owner likes to make sure that all her guests are happy. If you need something just ask.

We hated to leave but plan to continue to visit Pranamar.

Room Tip: If you are looking for ocean views get the beach front rooms. You can watch the sunset from your pr...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear happy guests!
A big hug and a big thank you for taking the time to write and for coming to Pranamar for a second round. Now that is the ultimate compliment! I probably sound like a broken record, but as a hotel owner, the moments of truth (i.e., evaluations) are the moments that make or break us! I do have a philosophy about happy guests...the degree to which they leave happy is the degree to which they add love and joy to our lives, so like all actions, there is a direct cause and effect!! You were happy, but you made us equally as happy!
If you make it back a third round, I'm buying you lunch!
Much love,
Susan Money, Owner
And the whole pranamar family
maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I spent 1 week at Pranamar and overall, it was a very lovely experience. The staff is amazingly friendly and everyone seems very sincere. I didn't feel anyone was putting on an act to "be nice to the guests." The owners, who are a family, are always close at hand so if you need some help or just want to get to know them, they are available and roaming around. I liked this as it doesn't happen too often. Susan, owner, is a hoot, and if you want a laugh, she's your girl. She checked on my many times during my stay to make sure I was happy and made sure to put things right at check out time when there was some misunderstanding regarding my bill. I appreciated this very much. It showed they put guests first. It showed good character. The food is very lovely. I have many dietary restrictions and they accommodated me the entire time and none of the restaurant staff seemed to be put out with the extra requests. I especially enjoyed the fruit drinks. They even modified mine to cut down on the sugar. Again, I was very appreciative. Generally speaking, they will go out of their way to do many "extras" for you if you just ask. I recommend speaking up if you want something. There is a good chance you'll get it. The rooms were nice. Mine was on the smaller side, but it had a large king bed in it. Also this is an eco-friendly place, so wasting space wouldn't go with the theme very well. Also in a place like this, the bedroom is really only for sleeping! There is too much to do with the beach, surf, yoga, and drinking margaritas in the restaurant or tiki hut! The verandas outside each room are lovely. Sit in the hammock and swing. Plonk and have coffee in the morning. It's really nice. Nancy, my new yoga inspiration (also an owner) is amazing. It's worth going there if only for the yoga. I'm madly in love with her now :O) Let's see. I must balance with something for them to improve upon. haha! Well, a couple very minor things, (which would never deter me from coming again!) First, I came into my room when the girls were giving it a once over one day and they had put my bed pillows on the top of my luggage while they made the bed. Ewwww! I had brought my own pillow (always do) so it didn't matter, but I wouldn't want to sleep on a pillow that had been atop dirty outsides of a suicase. The only other thing to think about- with the fish choices- I'm not sure what is available down there but tuna and red-snapper were popular the week I was there. Tuna is very high in mercury and snapper is moderate to high also. Additionally, snapper is an overfished fish and is considered very non-eco-friendly. That is generally speaking but maybe it's different in C.R. Just something to think about considering everything else is so clean and eco-friendly! That's it! I had a great time, I might bring back my husband (and leave him there) I loved everyone who worked there, especially my buddy Johan. Susan is the most awesome mama-bear ever and Nancy is a yoga goddess whom I adore. Oh!!! Sofia the massage therapist is to die for. 4 foot nothing with hands of steel! AMAZING!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear Friend
Well of course we all remember you well; when you have serious dietary restrictions it can be difficult for restaurants. We really do try to help people out, but honestly, your kindness and your appreciation for all we did just made us want to do more.
Also, as you mentioned, there is worry about over fishing. We buy directly from the local Costa ricans who fish with regular old fishing lines, in small boats. They can only fish so much at a time and we are paying them directly and helping support these local people. Also, Fish is the most local ingredient around, so in that respect its a good choice. But life is always about balance, isn't it? Thanks for mentioning this.
I sure hope we are blessed with your company again!
Much love
Susan Money and the Pranamar family

Been to Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat? Share your experiences!