“WOW a great place!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 25 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Dallas, Texas
“WOW a great place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Pranamar is a real gem!! We just returned from our second visit there and enjoyed it even more than the first time. The setting is absolutely magnificent! If you are looking for relaxation you have it. If you are looking for great yoga you have it. And if you are look for adventure you have that too!

We stayed in the beach front bungalow which was very nice. Opening the sliding glass doors every morning to the sound of the ocean was fantastic. When we got hot we turned on the AC. We have also stayed in a beach front Villa there which was just as fantastic.

The food at the restaurant is top shelf. The food is tasty, healthful and presented artfully on the plate. The staff is fantastic too. The owner likes to make sure that all her guests are happy. If you need something just ask.

We hated to leave but plan to continue to visit Pranamar.

Room Tip: If you are looking for ocean views get the beach front rooms. You can watch the sunset from your pr...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear happy guests!
A big hug and a big thank you for taking the time to write and for coming to Pranamar for a second round. Now that is the ultimate compliment! I probably sound like a broken record, but as a hotel owner, the moments of truth (i.e., evaluations) are the moments that make or break us! I do have a philosophy about happy guests...the degree to which they leave happy is the degree to which they add love and joy to our lives, so like all actions, there is a direct cause and effect!! You were happy, but you made us equally as happy!
If you make it back a third round, I'm buying you lunch!
Much love,
Susan Money, Owner
And the whole pranamar family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I spent 1 week at Pranamar and overall, it was a very lovely experience. The staff is amazingly friendly and everyone seems very sincere. I didn't feel anyone was putting on an act to "be nice to the guests." The owners, who are a family, are always close at hand so if you need some help or just want to get to know them, they are available and roaming around. I liked this as it doesn't happen too often. Susan, owner, is a hoot, and if you want a laugh, she's your girl. She checked on my many times during my stay to make sure I was happy and made sure to put things right at check out time when there was some misunderstanding regarding my bill. I appreciated this very much. It showed they put guests first. It showed good character. The food is very lovely. I have many dietary restrictions and they accommodated me the entire time and none of the restaurant staff seemed to be put out with the extra requests. I especially enjoyed the fruit drinks. They even modified mine to cut down on the sugar. Again, I was very appreciative. Generally speaking, they will go out of their way to do many "extras" for you if you just ask. I recommend speaking up if you want something. There is a good chance you'll get it. The rooms were nice. Mine was on the smaller side, but it had a large king bed in it. Also this is an eco-friendly place, so wasting space wouldn't go with the theme very well. Also in a place like this, the bedroom is really only for sleeping! There is too much to do with the beach, surf, yoga, and drinking margaritas in the restaurant or tiki hut! The verandas outside each room are lovely. Sit in the hammock and swing. Plonk and have coffee in the morning. It's really nice. Nancy, my new yoga inspiration (also an owner) is amazing. It's worth going there if only for the yoga. I'm madly in love with her now :O) Let's see. I must balance with something for them to improve upon. haha! Well, a couple very minor things, (which would never deter me from coming again!) First, I came into my room when the girls were giving it a once over one day and they had put my bed pillows on the top of my luggage while they made the bed. Ewwww! I had brought my own pillow (always do) so it didn't matter, but I wouldn't want to sleep on a pillow that had been atop dirty outsides of a suicase. The only other thing to think about- with the fish choices- I'm not sure what is available down there but tuna and red-snapper were popular the week I was there. Tuna is very high in mercury and snapper is moderate to high also. Additionally, snapper is an overfished fish and is considered very non-eco-friendly. That is generally speaking but maybe it's different in C.R. Just something to think about considering everything else is so clean and eco-friendly! That's it! I had a great time, I might bring back my husband (and leave him there) I loved everyone who worked there, especially my buddy Johan. Susan is the most awesome mama-bear ever and Nancy is a yoga goddess whom I adore. Oh!!! Sofia the massage therapist is to die for. 4 foot nothing with hands of steel! AMAZING!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear Friend
Well of course we all remember you well; when you have serious dietary restrictions it can be difficult for restaurants. We really do try to help people out, but honestly, your kindness and your appreciation for all we did just made us want to do more.
Also, as you mentioned, there is worry about over fishing. We buy directly from the local Costa ricans who fish with regular old fishing lines, in small boats. They can only fish so much at a time and we are paying them directly and helping support these local people. Also, Fish is the most local ingredient around, so in that respect its a good choice. But life is always about balance, isn't it? Thanks for mentioning this.
I sure hope we are blessed with your company again!
Much love
Susan Money and the Pranamar family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

This place is amazing, Santa Teresa is amazing.

The staff is AMAZING! This is what sets this place apart. They arranged everything perfectly and many times on short notice (I'm not the greatest planner). I asked the people at the front desk to rent an ATV at 10pm and hire a tour guide to show us around at 10am the next morning. They did and were pleased to do so. I did the same thing with the surf lessons and they were happy to accommodate. All the people they set us up with the ATV tour guide Miguel, Ishmael the surf instructor and Jose the private taxi driver were so nice very helpful.

We stayed in the ocean front villa and it was expensive, but worth every penny. I said this to my friend who stayed with me that you can tell that whoever planned this place thought of every detail. This is funny but beautiful lighting and they change they decor every few days (change out lamps, chairs, rugs).

The food is great, but I do recommend going into town there are some really tasty options in town as well.

I couldn't help but laugh when I read some of the negatives things people listed in their reviews. Bugs, um.... do you realize where you are? You are in a tropical place steps from nature and it's the most biodiverse place on the planet! The only way you could avoid bugs was if you doused the place in DEET. Really people? I should complain that ocean was sooo close to my villa that it kept me up at night. :) Some people talked about WiFi issues. I could use the wifi near the pool, restaurant and parts of the villa, but c'mon people lets get real about this complaint. This is not a big city (no paved roads, animals in the street), and if you want wifi and 4G, stay home or go to cancun and go to some soulless highrise resort. It's called a getaway for a reason!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Guest,
Oh boy, your words are music to my ears! someone who understands that I can not control the animal, insect life in Costa Rica and who appreciates that we don't want to be using DEET and other obnoxious chemicals. And a big hug to you for also having compassion about WiFi.....we actually pay for the only two internet providers in this part of Costa Rica. Wwe pay to have two accounts so that if one goes down, there is a chance the other will work! But thank you so much for realizing that living in Paradise has its limitations. Thank you thank you!
The best part of your letter is that you felt loved and cared about and you seemed very happy with the service. I have the most incredible staff....we call ourselves Pranamar Family...and truly, we are family to each other. But when our guests become part of our family, then I know things are going well!
I thank you so much for taking the time to write. These reviews are like being in high school and waiting for your 'report card". I'm always worried and elated when things go well!
Come back , although you are not here, your good and healthy energy remains!
So much love
Susan
san diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

This review is more about the restaurant than the hotel. We visit Costa Rica once or twice a year and always stay in Santa Teresa with friends. We eat out and enjoy many nice restaurants. A year ago we had a wonderful meal at Pranamar and decided to try them again. To our surprise, the waiter recognized the two of us and treated us as though we were family. Once again the meal was delicious.
One would think that a hotel would not be able to compete with local restaurants for quality or price. However, our meal was reasonably priced and the food was fresh and tasty. The atmosphere is relaxed with a rain forest ambience. All of the staff kept an eye on our needs, but never were intrusive. It was a wonderful evening and we plan to visit again on our next trip.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Restaurant Guests,
How lovely that you took the time to write a review and share your experience. I'm delighted you were happy with our food and I'm even happier that my incredible staff welcomed you with open arms! I have the best group of folks working here and I'm so pleased that they were as kind and loving with you as they are with each other!
Please come back and visit us each year you are in Costa Rica....it will be an honor to serve you again!
Have a wonderful year
Susan Money
(owner)
Santa Teresa, Costa Rica
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I was so excited to stay at the Pranamar hotel in Santa Teresa, it looked beautiful and they seemed to say all the right things to entice us to book a week at the hotel. The problems started immediately upon checking in. I was promised a villa that we had seen the week before in person but was led to a bungalow less than half the size of the villa. When I asked what happened to the Villa I was promised they made a bunch of excuses of how I had misunderstood. I said I didn't book this online I came in person and booked the bungalow. They still wanted to charge me the villa price. Then the waiter Alvaro, got hostile when i pleaded with him that my son had a life threatening food allergy and to please talk to the chef about making sure his food was dairy free. Well, he didn't and we were rushing to a local clinic to treat my son at 8 pm. Then the next day Alvaro had a major attitude about the night before and not one person from the hotel or the restaurant ever apologized to me about the incident. Then if that all is not enough, look out for all the hidden charges and the overcharges for everything!!! I mean everything. Even if you ask what the price for something is there still will be a hidden charge. I say avoid this place like the plague and stay somewhere else where they treat you nice and won't rob you. PLUS, a big plus the food is awful.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Guests,

I predicted to my staff we would receive a nasty review from you. Normally I am very concerned about such reviews, but in your case, i am going to make sure the truth is told.
First of all, I am the owner and i met you in our Yoga class. you came to me and said "this place is beautiful, i want to stay here." I told you we had an oceanfront BUNGALOW available only, we did not have any Villas available. We did not charge you the price of a Villa, we charged you the posted price of the ocean front bungalow. You are free to consult the rates on our website....so not only did i not overcharge you, I gave you a discount because you complained and we wanted to do what we could to ensure your happiness and satisfaction.

As for your son, you accused my server of poisoning your son. You also accused him of not checking with the chef to make sure we did not use dairy. He did check with the chef and the product we used in place of dairy is called HOPLA...you can go online and read about it. We use this product in our restaurant for people with dairy allergies and as a vegan cream substitute. We are always happy to accommodate special dietary needs and our chefs are very experienced with dairy-free, gluten-free and vegan cuisine. Honestly, it was very rude of you to accuse my staff of poisoning your son when this was not the case… we take dietary restrictions and food allergies very seriously and would never intentionally do anything to harm our guests.

But here is what truly makes me laugh…. when it was time to leave, you asked if you could stay longer. I'm sorry but if you hated your room, hated the staff and hated the food why on earth would you want to stay longer?? Apparently we were full. So lucky you, you got to go home!

I do not often write a response like this, but your review is full of lies and I'm not going to stand for it.

Susan Money
Akron, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My boyfriend told me I must come with him to the Mal Pais area of Costa Rica and I will say the trip here was a little different. The main road is unimpressive and I thought to myself where is he taking me? We pulled into Pranamar Resort and I could not believe how beautiful, peaceful, and secluded it was. Everything was great, breakfast is included and it was amazing. There is a great vibe here. We met people on the beach a couple of miles down the next day and asked them where they went to dinner and what they would recommend. They said Pranamar and they were right. Everything I experienced here was special, the Villa, the Beach, the Grounds, the people everything, We met people from other resorts and they came to visit us at Pranamar and they wished they had stayed here. This is a special place.

Room Tip: May be a little more expensive but worth every penny.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Guests,
WOW , thank you for this loving and warm evaluation. I have said it so many times, but there is nothing that makes all of us at Pranamar happier than to hear from a guest who loved our place and took the time to write about us!
We are fortunate to attract loving people who appreciate their environment and who share and celebrate with our staff. Our joy is when we are having fun with the guests!
Thank you so much, really, thank you for this beautiful letter.
Warmly
Susan Money, Owner
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Heaven on Earth! The area is is amazing to begin with the hotel is the icing on the cake. The Beach is peaceful and secluded. The grounds are meticulously maintained. The restaurant is definitely one of the best in the area. The rooms are like a small two story house. The staff is so friendly. The Yoga is the awesome and the Instructor Nancy is well known. I am not a surfer but the other guest said it was great. Worth the price for sure.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat? Share your experiences!