“It's like coming home” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 25 Hotels in Santa Teresa
san diego
“It's like coming home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

This review is more about the restaurant than the hotel. We visit Costa Rica once or twice a year and always stay in Santa Teresa with friends. We eat out and enjoy many nice restaurants. A year ago we had a wonderful meal at Pranamar and decided to try them again. To our surprise, the waiter recognized the two of us and treated us as though we were family. Once again the meal was delicious.
One would think that a hotel would not be able to compete with local restaurants for quality or price. However, our meal was reasonably priced and the food was fresh and tasty. The atmosphere is relaxed with a rain forest ambience. All of the staff kept an eye on our needs, but never were intrusive. It was a wonderful evening and we plan to visit again on our next trip.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Restaurant Guests,
How lovely that you took the time to write a review and share your experience. I'm delighted you were happy with our food and I'm even happier that my incredible staff welcomed you with open arms! I have the best group of folks working here and I'm so pleased that they were as kind and loving with you as they are with each other!
Please come back and visit us each year you are in Costa Rica....it will be an honor to serve you again!
Have a wonderful year
Susan Money
(owner)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Santa Teresa, Costa Rica
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I was so excited to stay at the Pranamar hotel in Santa Teresa, it looked beautiful and they seemed to say all the right things to entice us to book a week at the hotel. The problems started immediately upon checking in. I was promised a villa that we had seen the week before in person but was led to a bungalow less than half the size of the villa. When I asked what happened to the Villa I was promised they made a bunch of excuses of how I had misunderstood. I said I didn't book this online I came in person and booked the bungalow. They still wanted to charge me the villa price. Then the waiter Alvaro, got hostile when i pleaded with him that my son had a life threatening food allergy and to please talk to the chef about making sure his food was dairy free. Well, he didn't and we were rushing to a local clinic to treat my son at 8 pm. Then the next day Alvaro had a major attitude about the night before and not one person from the hotel or the restaurant ever apologized to me about the incident. Then if that all is not enough, look out for all the hidden charges and the overcharges for everything!!! I mean everything. Even if you ask what the price for something is there still will be a hidden charge. I say avoid this place like the plague and stay somewhere else where they treat you nice and won't rob you. PLUS, a big plus the food is awful.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Guests,

I predicted to my staff we would receive a nasty review from you. Normally I am very concerned about such reviews, but in your case, i am going to make sure the truth is told.
First of all, I am the owner and i met you in our Yoga class. you came to me and said "this place is beautiful, i want to stay here." I told you we had an oceanfront BUNGALOW available only, we did not have any Villas available. We did not charge you the price of a Villa, we charged you the posted price of the ocean front bungalow. You are free to consult the rates on our website....so not only did i not overcharge you, I gave you a discount because you complained and we wanted to do what we could to ensure your happiness and satisfaction.

As for your son, you accused my server of poisoning your son. You also accused him of not checking with the chef to make sure we did not use dairy. He did check with the chef and the product we used in place of dairy is called HOPLA...you can go online and read about it. We use this product in our restaurant for people with dairy allergies and as a vegan cream substitute. We are always happy to accommodate special dietary needs and our chefs are very experienced with dairy-free, gluten-free and vegan cuisine. Honestly, it was very rude of you to accuse my staff of poisoning your son when this was not the case… we take dietary restrictions and food allergies very seriously and would never intentionally do anything to harm our guests.

But here is what truly makes me laugh…. when it was time to leave, you asked if you could stay longer. I'm sorry but if you hated your room, hated the staff and hated the food why on earth would you want to stay longer?? Apparently we were full. So lucky you, you got to go home!

I do not often write a response like this, but your review is full of lies and I'm not going to stand for it.

Susan Money
Akron, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My boyfriend told me I must come with him to the Mal Pais area of Costa Rica and I will say the trip here was a little different. The main road is unimpressive and I thought to myself where is he taking me? We pulled into Pranamar Resort and I could not believe how beautiful, peaceful, and secluded it was. Everything was great, breakfast is included and it was amazing. There is a great vibe here. We met people on the beach a couple of miles down the next day and asked them where they went to dinner and what they would recommend. They said Pranamar and they were right. Everything I experienced here was special, the Villa, the Beach, the Grounds, the people everything, We met people from other resorts and they came to visit us at Pranamar and they wished they had stayed here. This is a special place.

Room Tip: May be a little more expensive but worth every penny.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Guests,
WOW , thank you for this loving and warm evaluation. I have said it so many times, but there is nothing that makes all of us at Pranamar happier than to hear from a guest who loved our place and took the time to write about us!
We are fortunate to attract loving people who appreciate their environment and who share and celebrate with our staff. Our joy is when we are having fun with the guests!
Thank you so much, really, thank you for this beautiful letter.
Warmly
Susan Money, Owner
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Heaven on Earth! The area is is amazing to begin with the hotel is the icing on the cake. The Beach is peaceful and secluded. The grounds are meticulously maintained. The restaurant is definitely one of the best in the area. The rooms are like a small two story house. The staff is so friendly. The Yoga is the awesome and the Instructor Nancy is well known. I am not a surfer but the other guest said it was great. Worth the price for sure.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Orebro, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

What a place!! I loved every second staying there. The place has charm and atmosphere, the waves outside super for all kinds of surfin. The service is superb and yet so friendly. I haven´t felt so relaxed in years. The restaurant is cool and nearby you have Kojiis, best Sushi in america? If visiting southern Nicoya penninsula be sure to stay here-you won´t regret it, I promise.

Room Tip: If you are 5-8 persons the Kula house is super!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
newalbum, co-owner/yoga teacher at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thanks so much for visiting us and taking the time to write such a sweet review. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay at Pranamar and were able to fully relax! We hope you'll come back with family and friends soon...the Kula House awaits!! Pura Vida from paradise
Palo Alto, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I was at Pranamar for a good friends wedding this past weekend. Im writing to specifically talk about surfing lessons, because that was the absolute best part of my experience. Ismael Araya took me out first with a group lesson with the wedding party, and I had so much fun that we surfed the next two days as well. I've done a bit of surfing before, but he was both gracious and extremely helpful in getting me to connect the dots and get up on the board and catching waves really quickly. He balanced giving me new information in manageable amounts and also building my confidence really well, and it was an all around amazing experience. Having taught sailing and skiing, i know how difficult this can be with beginners and I was impressed with what a great job he did with me. I'm hooked, and would highly recommend him and Pranamar to others.

On top of that, Pranamar did an excellent job hosting my friends wedding. We had a lovely ceremony on the beach, and a fun and relaxing weekend on the property. Its an amazing spot.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Happy Surfer!!

We agree with you that Ismael is the best surf instructor in the world! He is loved by everyone, and he is successful with everyone ! Besides being a great instructor he is an amazing human being. so thank you for taking the time to write about him and to acknowledge what a wonderful person he is; and we compliment you and the entire wedding group...you were all so gracious, so happy, so full of enthusiasm and down right fun.
Life is a two way street. Happy guests make for happy employees!!
We thank you with all our hearts for taking the time to share your sentiments with other readers.
Hopefully we will get to have lots more experiences with you in the future!
As you so succinctly said PURA VIDA.
Love from all of us at Pranamar
Susan Money (Owner)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We travelled with our four children and spent three nights at Pranamar before heading north. The place has a great vibe and is designed in keeping with the prevelant Costa Rican sustainable world concept. We stayed at the Kula House one night and then Poolside Villas #4 and 5 for the other two nights. We and the kids absolutely loved our stay. It is a great place to start your Costa Rican experience. As soon as you step onto the property, your mindset relaxes. Incredible sunset views, excellent (and pretty serious) yoga, fantastic food, service and people. Well done!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Family,
Thank you so much for writing. It seems you were moved about quite a bit, so you got a good overview of our different lodgings! I'm delighted the kids had a good time too...I think Costa Rica is so wonderful for families, but the most important thing in life is the relationships we form and the way we interact with people. I know that everyone at Pranamar so enjoyed having you, and of course, I'm happy to hear you had a great stay as well. Friendship and sharing is what it is all about.
I look foward to lots more visits with yo. We have even had guests from my first hotel whose children were kids when i first met them and now we are hosting their weddings! Now that's fun.
Have a wonderful year and Thank you again for writing
Warmly,
Susan Money, Owner

Been to Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat? Share your experiences!