“Yoga in Paradise” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 25 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Denver, Colorado, United States
“Yoga in Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

I have been to Pranamar twice now. We couldn't leave after our first trip until promising ourselves we would be back within the year. I am a yoga teacher and yogi of over ten years, and I find the yoga classes enlightening, challenging and inspirational. The yoga classes are also welcoming to beginners of yoga just the same. The yoga shala overlooks the ocean through tropical plants and palm trees.
The restaurant is amazing. I am gluten-free and dairy-free, and I can find plenty to eat. They also are vegan friendly as well. Their fresh salads and local fruit smoothies are my favorite. The dinners are very nice and creative cuisine of local seafood, meat and veggies.
The villas are extremely nice. The outside garden showers are private and gorgeous. The villas have A/C, and several have kitchens. The Hermosa beach is a perfect beach for surfing.
Yoga and surfing everyday with amazing, local food? Nothing not to love about Pranamar.

I love this place so much that my fiancé' and I are bringing almost 50 people here later this spring for our wedding.

We can't wait to share this little slice of paradise with our families!

Room Tip: Ocean front villas and bungalows have small kitchens and you can see the ocean from your bed.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
pranamar, Yoga director/teacher at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, January 24, 2012
Namaste, I thought I would respond and let you know how much I appreciate your great review of my yoga classes and Pranamar's ocean front shala. It was so nice to have you and your partner in class ,and I'm honored that you find them inspirational and challenging! We are excited about your upcoming return and know it will be sensational!! See you soon, Nancy Goodfellow

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2012

When the friends I spend Christmas with announced we were going "to the beach in Costa Rica," I was not thrilled. I do not like heat, am so fair-skinned that I might as well be allergic to sun, and I liked the place we spent the last two Christmases (in the mountains in Costa Rica) very much indeed. In fact, I did not think our past vacations in Costa Rica could be improved upon. I was wrong.
Mid-way through our second day there, I noted to my friend that I knew I used to live a different life, but it was long ago and the details were blurring now that we were in Paradise. I spent every hours every morning on the beach with notebook and coffee--the beach faces west and the sun comes up behind the coconut trees and palm trees that grow right up to the sand, so the world was beautifully lit yet I was not in the sun. As for heat, it was warm enough so that I stepped out my back door and swam in the river/pool that the villas are built alongside, but the Pappagayo (sp?) breezes--"the December winds"--transformed what might have been blazing heat into a warm balm. (I turned the air-conditioner in my bedroom on one night; within 3 minutes I realized--the room was too cold, because the temperature was perfect to begin with!) I took the yoga classes every day; I ate delicious food; the restaurant staff was endlessly flexible and patient; Greg and Susan, the genii loci of Pranamar, proved founts of information about plants, animals, the ocean, and other interesting topids that are hilarious but not meant for web-sites.
I laughed, lounged, read, wrote, took daily long walks with friends on the beautiful and all-but-deserted beach, swam, abjured shoes and all forms of worry. It was--did I meantion this?--paradise.

Room Tip: I'm pretty sure there is no bad room.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
pranamar, Public Relations Manager at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, January 24, 2012
Dear our fair-skinned friend...after a nice vacation experience it seems hard to believe that it can be topped, but it sounds like we were able to offer you a great vacation on the beach and this warms our hearts! We are so glad you found the weather to be perfectly blissful and our villas and grounds relaxing and enjoyable. We do hope you'll think of us again for your next vacation, and don't hesitate to contact us for anything special we can do to make your next trip to Costa Rica even more spectacular!
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

My wife and I stayed at Pranamar from December 12th to the 18th 2011 and when we first got there I would say we were in awe, a very pleasant daze. Every thing from the owners, staff, villas, restaurant...etc is a 10 out 10 period. I think we stayed in villa #3 which is poolside with a beach front view. Pretty well every morning started out just 3 steps away from our deck to a lap pool which we had all to ourselves. After a few morning laps we had our amazing breakfast all before the 9:00 am yoga class, perfecto, perfecto, perfecto! The rest of the day we would explore the county side via ATV which the staff will kindly hook you up with. ATVing north or south is amazing and very safe. Our favorite was going south to Montezuma and Cobano all to come back to paradise at Pranamar. Remember there is no TV so I must say we did miss it a little bit, silly us:-)

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, February 3, 2012
Thanks for writing us a great review and we are so happy that you both had such a nice time with us at Pranamar. We hope that you will come back again and join us for a relaxing vacation of big breakfasts, ocean views and awesome Yoga!! Have a great 2012!! Love from all the staff.
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

We spent New Year’s weekend at Pranamar Villas with a couple of friends who had never been to Costa Rica (we were in the Santa Teresa – Malpais area last year). It was wonderful. We stayed in Villa 5, next to the restaurant. The Villa was comfortable, and there is a lot to be said for stepping off your porch into the pool. The food was amazing, the New Year’s Eve celebration on the beach was a lot of fun, the views of the ocean and sound of the waves wonderful. The owner, Susan, is fantastic and her staff could not be better. They were fun, friendly, and dedicated. Really terrific people. We hope to return to Pranamar next year, and will try to stay in Villa 1 or Villa 2, facing the ocean but off the pool, which can be a bit noisy to nap next to. Pranamar is great with kids (we don’t have any but there were several families with children ), which makes it fun and easy – and a good reason to get Villas away from the pool. Probably the best place to stay in Santa Teresa/Malpais, certainly the best place on the beach.

Room Tip: Aim for Villa 1 or Villa 2 on the beach, Villas 5 and 6 can be a bit loud.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
pranamar, co-owner/yoga director at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, January 18, 2012
Dear friends, we are so honored that you and your friends spent the New year's with us and got to enjoy the evening under the stars with great food and live music for our New year's Eve beach BBQ. We are so glad you loved Pranamar and you should definitely come back and stay in one of our luxurious ocean front villas (for optimal privacy and comfort)! We look forward to making your next vacation to Santa Teresa, Costa Rica the best ever. Until then, thank you for the great review and letting us know that our hard word is appreciated.
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

I absolutely love this place!! I spent two nights during December and I am already planning to come back!
I enjoyed every second on my stay and didn't want to leave, the hotel is very beautiful, the grounds, gardens and architecture of the property are truly unique and make you feel in a tropical paradise.
The weather was great during my stay so I had the chance to enjoy some really nice mornings, stunning sunsets and wonderful nights with the moon lighting the ocean and waves, it was just amazing!
We stayed at the Kula House and love it, the whole concept of the villas is really special and different from the regular hotel room you get everywhere else. Fall in love with the second floor deck, spent most of my time here, enjoying the views and sounds of Santa Teresa beach.
This place is perfect for relaxation and meditation, just enjoying the sounds of the waves, the views of the beach and the breeze from the ocean.
Great service at the restaurant and the food is delicious! Yoga was another highlight of my trip, received the class with Andy, and truly enjoy it!

Love the hotel!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, January 18, 2012
Dear friends, we are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I have to admit that the Kula House has always been my favorite, too! The second story deck has such great views and catches the breeze off the ocean...it is hard to leave the tranquility of the space. The weather and the sunsets have been incredible and the beaches out front of Pranamar don't get much better. We look forward to being able to serve you and help to create your most enjoyable vacation again! Thanks for the great review!!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012 via mobile

From the second we arrived, we were greeted by the awesome staff who offered to help take our belongings while getting us refreshing healthy smoothies. Once we reached our villa, we knew the week would seldom fail to beat our highest expectations. Elegant, orderly and impressively personalized, the decor was perfect for our carribean getaway.

Over the next week, we spent each day with the surf instruction team, Sandra the resident yogi, and the great support staff that always made sure ther was an exquisite meal and drink waiting for us when we we're ready.

Ya les echo de menos Pranamar y su familia, pero nos vemos de nuevo pronto! Pura Vida!

• Stayed November 2011
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, January 4, 2012
Pura VIDA!! THanks for posting your positive and satisfied comments. We hope you will return to visit Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat soon!
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

I haven't stayed at the hotel. My experience has been taking the yoga classes which are wonderful btw. Pulled up to park and was given an agressive earful by management. Apparently, I'd parked in front of the reception entry. No signs. But no worries. I moved my car. For a yoga atmosphere, I didn't expect the aggressive tone/shouting...especially since I'd been going back regularly for the yoga sessions. I guess you're treated differently if you're not a guest at the resort.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, January 19, 2012
Dear Fellow Yoggini,
I was so sad to hear that Greg (owner) came off as angry with you for blocking the walkway. Of course its imperative that the walkway be kept clear for obvious reasons, but Im certain that you parked there and were simply not aware of this when you parked. I must tell you, we have had several signs and they have all been knocked down by "drivers" so its become a difficult issue for us. Just prior to your arrival, someone else blocked the primary walkway and two guests were outraged...absolutely outraged. While we were looking all over the hotel for the owner of the car, a person with a cane arrived and they decided not to use the restaraunt because they didnt know how to access the walkway. So I suspect that you were a "victim of circumstances" and because Greg was so upset that two different people were angry with us for the blocking of the walkway, he might have seemed harsh to you.
I know that we do not treat anyone different who is not staying here. We have a restaurant and yoga studio, so there are always people visiting who are not staying with us. I apologize for any hurt feelings. And also, sadly, Greg is quite deaf and is in the process of getting hearing aid. so we often find he speaks loud and is not aware of his tone. HOPEFULLY this will change with his hearing aids.
I hope whenyou come to town you will come back and do yoga with us....and I would love to make it up to you.
Thanks for understanding,
susan Money, Owner

Been to Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat? Share your experiences!