“Beautiful & Amazing” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 25 Hotels in Santa Teresa
New York City, New York
“Beautiful & Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

I stayed at Pranamar through my Vajrasol retreat with Sandra. The poolside villa we stayed in was great! The whole atmosphere at this hotel is amazingly tranquil, peaceful and beautiful. The people are so genuinely nice, I felt so sad to leave after making new friends! The location is perfect, right on the beach. The yoga center is beautiful w views and sounds of the ocean beyond. They play awesome music in the bar area of the restaurant, we were lucky to be close by to enjoy the likes of Jack Johnson and Moby while sipping on a fresh coconut. You truly feel as though you are in your own private home on the beach.

I cannot wait to return!!!

Room Tip: Poolside villas are near the bar/restaurant - close to the action so to speak. We loved being close...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Truckee, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

Having never traveled to Costa Rica, I was extremely excited to be removed from my comfort zone of California and awaken to more world around me. My week-long surf/yoga retreat with lodging at Pranamar was the best way to awaken my senses. With a flight into San Jose, stayover at the Hampton Inn at the airport and a quick flight from San Jose to Tambor on Sansa, I was instantly transferred into the Pura Vida life of the Ticos. My first indication that this would be a great trip were the wild Lapas Rojas (red macaws) we saw flying at the little Tambor airstrip. Even the locals were in awe. We were greeted by our driver, Jose, who shuttled us through the Costa Rican landscape to Malpais and Santa Teresa. The initial road from Tambor was paved and we were met with gravel about half way to the hotel. The overall drive was just under an hour dodging dogs, scooters, walking people and potholes. Pranamar is situated at the opposite end of Santa Teresa behind an unassuming wooden gate.

We were greeted warmly by the staff and immediately served a ginger-infused drink upon arrival. As we were not able to check in just yet, we were able to place our bags with the front office and begin our tour.

Pranamar was a quiet property with a variety of vegetation in various stages of development. During the week I was able to speak with Nancy, Yoga Director and Co-owner with her mother. She explained the history of the development of the property and I marveled at their tenacity and vision for the piece of property. Even though it is a new property, the foundation has been put in place and now it will be the guests and their experiences that will set the tone for years to come.

The crown jewel of the resort is the Yoga Shala, an open-air structure used to host twice-daily yoga classes and various other ceremonies, meditations and group talks. I found myself drawn to the shala at least twice a day for it's quiet sacredness and views of the ocean. If you are able to attend and open up to Nancy's yoga teaching, you will enhance your experience of the property and find a deeper connection to the outside surroundings of the ocean and the people of Santa Teresa.

ROOMS
The villas were situated quite close to the swimming pool with a few strategically placed bungalows in the outer perimeters. I visited a couple of our friends villas and they were definitely open-air but beautifully decorated. As our group was overbooked, my friends and I were housed in "The White House" located adjacent to the Pranamar properties. This was a contemporary beach house (one of three) that seemed to be used often by Pranamar. Be sure to confirm with the staff at reservation. The White House is very modern with concrete floors, a great outside showering area, air conditioning and blinds for privacy. There is also a television with cable but it was turned on ONCE the entire week just to see the menu on the satellite. The house can sleep up to four people comfortably. We were a bit disappointed not to have the villa experience and be so far from our quest-mates that were housed more around the pool, but during a severe rain/thunderstorm, we decided the White House wasn't so bad after all.

Note on storms: we experienced a major storm that lasted ten hours with torrential downpours and thunder and lightning all night. In the morning we discovered that one of the bridges to Santa Teresa had been washed out by a landslide. We also found out that the community of Santa Teresa gathered up their forces and worked endlessly to open up the road in about five hours. This was a true showing of community effort and strength. ALSO storms may bring power outages at various times. This means NO POWER so be sure to have good reading material, journaling, travel games or other items to help with this.

MEALS
After settling into our spaces, we trekked back to the front office area to have dinner (included in our retreat package as were all meals but one). Shoes were removed and dinner was served by an attentive staff. We ate mostly vegetarian meals all week but noted that the regular menu of the restaurant contained items such as pork tenderloin and fried calamari. Several of our meals included fresh fruit, daily smoothie, yogurt, granola, coffee (excellent I hear). The tea is mediocre so if you are a tea drinker, you might want to consider bringing your own. Also, honey is available as a sweetener but you must ask for it. Agave is not available.

Meals titles included banana pancakes, eggs with fried cheese, beans & rice, fried yuca (addictive!), lasagna, salads, lentil burger, organic chicken and fresh fish from Malpais. There was even a gluten-free dish prepared each meal for some people. The staff were extremely accommodating and helpful whether the meal was served individually OR buffet style. They moved with a stealth grace when asked for anything. The owner, Susan, was often in an apron watching over the details of the set-ups but never hovering over the diners during the meals. She would also take suggestions on the menu and accommodated our request for banana pancakes the morning of our departure.

ACTIVITIES
WOW! First of all, as a surf/yoga quest attendee, I had the privilege and honor of being a student of Costa Rica Surf & SUP led by Bennison and Al Lopez. The wife/husband duo was a team hired to coach our group for five days (more at Costa Rica Surf & SUP). They were awesome! I believe Pranamar has a surf camp and instructors that they work with to provide instruction to private groups. I did see a couple of instructors walking daily with their students out of the property and onto the beach. The yoga was led by Nancy Gooodfellow who brings new insight into anyone's yoga practice. She is strong and graceful and starts each class with speech that might just bring you to tears. Or maybe that was just me letting go... The yoga and surf combination was excellent for anyone wishing to jumpstart or re-energize a more mindful way of healthy living.

Beach combing is easy and available to everyone at any time. If you leave the resort and walk down the beach to the right, you can go all the way to Playa Hermosa (great surfing spot) and be greeted by a few friendly local dogs. The beach is clean and perfect for a family hangout. Sunday seemed to be extremely busy but the weekdays were mellow. If you go to the beach and walk to the left of the resort, you will see lots of shells, etc. BUT there is also a lot of small trash on the beach (small plastic pieces) that is sort of disheartening. TIP...walk down the beach to the left and see the main road on your left. You can walk the main road back to Pranamar for a different perspective.

Going into town is an option and costs about $30 round trip from Pranamar. We split it between 6 people and touched base with "civilization" visiting la farmacia and one of the local coffee spots, Artemis. Town is not very big but it is colorful and there always seems to be lots going on with ATV's, scooters, small cars and little shops. There are plenty of Super Mercado's (at least three I counted) where you can pick up food or other items for your stay. There are also many eateries including excellent Kika. (Small Argentinian restaurant with a super menu!!)

Overall Pranamar was a quiet, tropical and breathtaking resort. If you are looking for a real time out for a chance to connect with nature and yourself, I highly recommend it. ALSO, take the time to try out your Spanish and ask how to say things, the staff really enjoys it and will learn your name that much quicker. Can't wait to return!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

This resort is pretty amazing. The whole place is so well laid out and gorgeous. The restaurant is fabulous and the entire staff is super attentive and cordial.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Key West, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2011

I have been to Costa Rica a number of times and decided to include an out of the way beach visit on this trip. Our three day stay was sandwiched between stays at Arenal Nayara and the Peace Lodge, which are both truly spectacular places. We read all the reviews (which inexplicably were all positive) and the web site for the resort in detail before reserving. The no cancellation refund policy should have been a warning, but we did it, and will forever regret it.

THE TRIP

There is absolutely no indication on the web site or others about how bad the roads to and within Santa Teresa are. The guide books describe it as the new big thing in Costa Rica along with MalPais. God help Costa Rica if this is true. This is a truly beautiful country with vastly improved infrastructure over the past 20 years, which does not apply to Santa Teresa or this area of the Nicoya Peninsula. We made the great mistake of driving the Route 21 penisula road from the Arenal area. DO NOT DO THIS! The road is great until you reach Playa Naranjo, then is a deeply rutted dirt road for an eternity. Take the Puntarenas ferry to Paquera. I am an adverturous driver and it still took 9 hours to drive the 175 miles from La Furtuna (with my wife and daughter in a constant tate of panic after Playa Nayara). Thank God were were not in the wet season. Santa Teresa is NOT A HOT SPOT! It is a funky surf town where every drive through town is an adventure. The roads and bridges are horrible and scary. Once in Santa Teresa you are stuck. The thought of the drive out keeps you there or most tourists would just turn around and leave. I won't even mention Malpais because there is nothing there but an old fishing village.

THE RESORT

We arrived exhausted and were put it a poolside villa. Now these 2 story air conditioned villas are ONLY AIR CONDITIONED IN THE BEDROOMS. There is no privacy in the living areas because if you want fresh air, you have to open all the doors and windows. The villas are within feet of each other, and therefore blowing drapes are the only privacy barriers from your neighbors. This is a humid palce, so everything had a musty smell and damp feel. The linens and towels were below Motel Six quality. As I said, we had our teenage daughter with us and there is no nearby nightime activity for teenagers that would be appropriate. As you by now have read, there is NO TV! This is not specifically mentioned in the Pranamar website and unfortunately several of the other travel review sites say there is. This should be made very clear in their ads but it is not. The grounds are minimally planted and not attractive.
The beach is fine, but no different than many others in Costa Rica with easier access and better facilities. We had the same experience at the restaurant as the other negative reporter. The staff seemed to be tip focused and demanding that we commit to the next meal. The included breakfast was minimal. Order one of several choices and one cup of coffee, and everything else was extra. Nothing like the wonderful included breakfast buffet at Nayara, that we had just left. This resort was not cheap (we actually payed less at Arenal Nayara for a truly spectacular experience). Pranamar is extremely overpriced for its quality. As I mentioned, our last stop was the Peace Lodge which is one the most beautiful places I have ever stayed. Go to their web site to see. The rooms (truly awesome with 2 hot tobs, waterfalls, fireplace, and yes, flat screen tv, for only slightly more in cost than Pranamar and only an hour drive from the SJO airport.
We wanted to leave Pranamar immediately but were too tired. I confirmed that our reservations were prepaid and not refundable, so we sufferred through the next two nights and left. It was a very unhappy experience and we left our comments on a form in the room. The hotel management did contact us about the comments and we exchanged several detailed emails regarding our concerns. The owner basically said that if we had called ahead of time he would have told us about the road and facilities and suggested another destination for our interests. We thought we had booked directly with the resort but were informed that we booked through an agent linked to resort website, as though that should make a difference. Really, are customers supprosed to call to be sure the resort description is correct. The Resort did not even offer any type of refund.
Look, the bottom line is this in not a top class resort. It has an appeal to a specific type of traveller into a more rustic, quiet, open air yoga experience. Apparently, based on all the reviews, they will do a fine business. Would it really be such a problem to accurately descibe the location, the trip to the location, and the ammenities at the resort so that travellers expecting something else can make an informed decision before pre-paying with a no refund policy ?

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, December 1, 2011
Dear Visitors
I was very sad to read your review, and quite frankly rather shocked! Although I always appreciate ones honesty, I would like to address some of your remarks You said you did NOT book through us. We have no idea with whom you did the booking, but if we are not involved, how can we possibly answer your questions prior to arriving? You were unhappy with the roads, (and believe me, so are we locals) but your booking agent should have discussed this with you. You were unhappy we do not have TVs...we would have told you immedaitely we do not have TVs...nor do I expect to! You were unhappy with a musty smell....again, since you do not say when you were staying with us, I can only assume it was during the rainy season. My
goodness, we agree with you....the musty smell during the rainy season is simply not resolvable....we do not even make up the beds in the villas until a few hours prior to guests arrival....and even then, with all the wet flora and fauna, the rooms can smell musty (since doors are normally kept shut in the rains) You also said your villa was not private. If we were involved in the booking or had you been to our website you could have selected one of our VERY private bungalows or villas...your agent had you placed in one of our poolside villas, which were designed to feel like a little "community". We do not even have ONE attached room, all of our villas are separate. But we do have some very private houses that are very serene for people who prefer not to interact with other guests.
As for the landscaping, i will be submitting a photo to this website to show the beauty of the landscaping. Our hotel is only 15 months open and after the rains, we are delighted with the growth of the grounds! Guests who stayed with us in the first 6 months and have already returned have ALL congratulated us on the remarkable growth.
But again, i do not know when you were here, and hence its very possible the landscaping was young.
Here is my suggestion to you in the future as you travel around the world! Always go to the hotel website....we very clearly discuss the villas, the bungalows, the roads, the rainy season, etc. And when people book directly we are very honest and clear about the fact that we do not
have TVs. We are hotel that is designed for active people, people who are surfing, hiking, biking and swimming and doing yoga! Hence, TV's are not on our agenda! We do have games for kids and we have a laptop and movies always available to our guests!
What does really confuse me is that you felt our servers in the restaurant only worked "for tips'. I encourage you to read the many other letters to trip advisor....there is a consistent applause for the hard work and spirit of these young people. I am so proud of them and how hard they work! And our breakfasts are not your typical toast and juice, we offer a full menu, coffee, smoothie and choice of entree......all included in your stay!
I am sorry and sad that you were not happy. But clearly, Pranamar is not a hotel that meets your needs, and Costa rica is probably not a country that will work for you well if you are so troubled by the bad road conditions. I say this with all love and nonjudgment...but having lived here over 22 years, I do not see that the roads are going to change anytime soon! I sure
wish I could wave a magic wand.....for the benefit of my guests and my family as well.
I hope you have a wonderful holiday, and I wish you happier vacations in the future!
Most sincerely
Susan Money, Owner
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011

This was our second visit to Pranamar (first last October). Still an amazing place with great food. Would recommend getting an oceanfront bungalow or villa if possible. Just amazing to hear the waves crashing. Thanks again to Susan and her great staff! You must have Vinizio mix you up a cocktail at the bar! It is a plus to have a great breakfast included in the price.

Room Tip: oceanfront cannot be beat. if you are social getting a poolside villa is fun.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, November 26, 2011
THANK you guys so much for the beautiful energy you bring to Pranamar! The joy of owning a hotel is creating great experiences for people.....and that is absolutely magnified when folks like you come in with a smile, a hug and your appreciation!! Our hearts are waiting for your return.....we miss you already!
susan
Manhattan Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Oceanfront bungalow for 10 days and at the end of our trip, we wished we could have stayed longer! Not only are the grounds/hotel beautiful and so close to some of the best breaks on this side of the coast, but the people who work here really make it special. To everyone: Susan, Nancy, Andres, Johan, Veronica, Albero, Michelle, Omara, Venezio, Mario, Dago, etc. (the list of names could really go on and on haha), thank you for truly making Stefan and I's trip exceptional. We definitely can not wait to come back and bring our families with us next year..... A couple of tips for people -- Definitely take yoga classes with Nancy and Andy, they are both incredible teachers. Definitely take surfing lessons from Ish (Ishmael), he's really an amazing instructor and gets right there in the wave with you, helping you overcome your fears and catch that amazing first wave. I've taken a lot of lessons from a lot of different instructors all over the world and he is by far the best. GO TO THE RESTAURANT EVERY NIGHT! The Pranamar villas restaurant is AMAZING, I can not tell you. Being a true foodie in the LA area, I really search and love to try amazing food at new restaurants as well as cook a lot myself. The food at the restaurants blew us away everynight. From the Seafood coconut soup to the Peanut crusted tuna with udon noodles to Chico's year's old Calamari soup recipe from Italy, we truly were incredibly impressed with the chefs here (Rodrigo from Argentina, Chicho from Italy and Jesus from Venezula). We ate here almost every night and the one night that we didn't, I regretted that we didn't. Susans desserts are wonderful as well -- her peanut butter truffles are a must try. Anyways, I could go on and on about how wonderful this place is but I'm sure that you get the point by now. We will definitely be returning and can't wait!!!

Room Tip: Definitely have to go with the oceanfront bungalows/villas.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

I had so much fun in May 2011 that I had to come back November 2011. I can honestly say again, Pranamar is such a lovely place that it is hard to leave. The owners care about you and your experience. The food is excellent. The staff - ALL of them - are extremely helpful and kind. We had lots of rain and oddly, I was ok with it as there was so much to do and so many other people to socialize with, that I did not mind. I miss my morning smoothies already!! Nancy Goodfellow is a wonderful caring soul and I just love her Yoga classes. I surfed everyday (Costa Rica Surf & SUP) with Bennison and Al Lopez and they are such talented teachers. I feel so happy with my time there that I am already planning to visit again. Thanks to all of the Pranamar staff/family, Women's Quest and the surf instructors.

Room Tip: I was in the top room of Villa 6 and it was perfect. A nice large bed and the beautiful sounds of na...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
pranamar, yoga teacher/co-owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, November 22, 2011
And we are so glad that you came back!! We love getting to know our guests and by the end of the vacation it feels like we are all family. Women's Quest does such a great job and we truly have the most amazing team!! See you next year! Om, Nancy

Been to Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat? Share your experiences!