“Stayed here for our Honeymoon” 5 of 5 stars

Special Price
30% off room rate
Ranked #13 of 25 hotels in Santa Teresa
Toronto, Canada
“Stayed here for our Honeymoon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

My wife loved this resort. We stayed in the villas on the beach, were able to do yoga in the morning, surf throughout the day, explore the area, and rest. The resort was expensive, but worth it for our honeymoon.
We had stayed further south in Mal Pais for the first 3 nights of our honeymoon and here for the last 3 nights. It was nice to not have to travel too far once we got to our destination, but also good to have some variety. We rented a 4x4 car so that we were able to go up and down from the towns and different beaches, which gave us some freedom.
My wife can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: The villa on the beach was very large and had its own kitchen. There was room to sleep a family, but...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
pranamar, yoga teacher/co-owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, November 22, 2011
Congratulations again on your wedding! It was such an honor to have your stay with us for your honeymoon and we are so glad you enjoyed your villa and time with us at Pranamar. Our ocean front villas are truly spectacular and we are proud that we have never had a problem with security. We are also one of the few hotels in Costa Rica with an independent water treatment system that saves thousands of gallons of water a year. We apologize for any inconvenience with the toilet...occasionally those problems are inevitable, but luckily it is rarely an issue. Thanks again for everything! Hope you and your wife will visit us again soon.

194 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

This is a one of kind stunning property located on a beautiful beach (playa hermosa). Yet it has a jungle feel to it as well. The grounds are extremely well maintained, and every picture and word on their website is 100% accurate! The atmosphere is very friendly and relaxed, and the staff here takes excellent care of you. The restaurant is especially wonderful. We got to know the owner and many of the staff during our 6 night stay. All of our servers were very attentive and friendly, especially Monika:) The food is 5 star, very fresh and unique. And the drinks are simply outstanding. Johan is truly a mixologist!! The yoga classes took place in an outdoor shala with ocean views. The classes were lead by Nancy Goodfellow, who is an outstanding instructor (we did a private lesson with her as well bc we enjoyed her class so much). My friend and I loved Pranamar so much that we are already planning to come back in the summer.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
It was such a pleasure for us to help make your vacation wonderful. Thanks for writing a review and we'll see you next summer! Namaste, Nancy
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

My friend and I just spent 6 completely amazing and rejuvenating days in pranamar. The beaches and sunsets in Santa Teresa are some of the most beautiful I've ever seen ( including Mexico, Hawaii, carribean, etc).. The water is warm and the waves are awesome.. The beach is pristine with gorgeous jungle mountains as a backdrop. However, the staff and owners at pranamar are what made this trip truly awesome.. Everyone made us feel like part of the family. We had fantastic service at the restaurants.... Monica was our personal waitress for most of the trip and spent so much time chatting with us and giving us advice.. The drinks at the bar are some of the freshest and most delicious I've ever had Johan rocks! How many bar tenders will go and pick fresh basil from the garden specifically to make one drink.. The staff really went above and beyond and we were never told no to anything. We went to 5 group yoga classes with Nancy and each one brough something special to our practice.. We also did a private class with her and would highly recommend it to anyone looking to get great personalized advice.. Our surf lessons with ishmael were great and he is a patient and fun instructor... Although we got beat up by the waves being able to stand up on the board and ride into shore was really rewarding.. I could go on and on but in the end you have to visit it to understand the hospitality and beauty of this place.. Nancy and her team do an amazing job and its obvious that they love their jobs and want to share this piece of paradise with their guests..
I would also highly highly recommend spending the extra money on the ocean front villa, falling asleep on the hammock listening to the waves was such a treat... I can't wait to come back in the summer...

Room Tip: The ocean front villas and bungalow are some of the nicest I've ever stayed in..
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
pranamar, Yoga teacher/co-owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, November 22, 2011
Hey girls, it was so much fun having you both stay with us and we thank you for the great review. It means so much to us to know that our guests leave Pranamar rejuvenated, happy and ready to come back. Keep up with your yoga practices and we hope to see you back soon! Namaste, Nancy
Cairns, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

Whilst the "green season" gave us weather that was stormy and wet, the dreadful service (or lack of) and bad attitude from some staff, made our 3 night stay at Pranamar memorable for all the wrong reasons.
I extensively researched accommodation on the Nicoya Peninsula and wanted to make sure that what I chose was worth the 40 hour trip from Australia!!
We were the only guests staying at the property during our recent stay in October and despite having to pay for the yoga classes each day for the two of us, were told on check-in that this would not be available, as we were "the only guests"...refund? Nope!
We rented the top of the range 2 bedroom ocean-view villa and it was large and well set out, and I dare say in good weather - would be delightful, however in this very wet season, the villa (and hotel itself) had nothing to provide any form of entertainment....no TV, no music, no board games, cards, books or any recreational activities at all........might be worth a thought.

BUT the absolute kicker was the dreadful attitude of the staff and in particular the "waitress" Monika - who had a level on thinly veiled hostility that made the food curdle!
One morning she demanded to know if we intended to eat in the restaurant that night - immediate answer required...and this was 9am!

I will see the one time we did eat in the restaurant (the only ones) the food and the service was excellent - thankfully no Monika in sight!

I have worked in the hospitality industry for 30 years and extensively travel both interstate and overseas and I will put Pranamar in the "worst of" categories.

I would be VERY surprised if the owners of the property were aware of what goes on during the "quiet" season....I may live in Australia, but have several friends and colleagues who live in Costa Rica and I have made sure they are all aware of my recent experience.

Room Tip: All would be good if the weather sunny.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
pranamar, Manager at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, November 3, 2011
In the low season, very few places in this town and Costa Rica are open. As a courtesy to our guests our restuarnt staff will cook meals if the guests would like, and hence, at breakfast time we ask each guest if they would like us to prepare a meal. This gives our chef time to go buy all the food and prepare it, as our restaurant will only serve fresh food. So although it may seem rude to ask in the morning, you can well imagine that it takes time to navigate these roads, buy the food, prepare it and have a waiter or waitress come to work to serve the guests. While we are sorry that they were upset that Monica asked if they would like to eat, Pranamar is proud that we try to make our guests stay comfortable even when our restaurant is closed. It is simply a service we provide when the weather is unsettling. To be offended by this offer seems unusual.
I would like to remind you that the rainy season affords people some very low rates..and in fact, we did give you a very low rate. Hence extras like yoga etc, can not be offered during these very slow times. But we establish this the minute you made your reservation, so I am surprised that this was a surprise to you.
I would also like you to know that as the owner, I stay open simply because there are so few nice places in town for people to stay so therefore I do it more as a service for the people who risk travelling during the heavy rains.
And no, we do not have TV’s, it is my sincere belief that most everyone brings a laptop on which they can play videos and movies. We do have movies available for guests and our hotel has cards, poker chips, board games and free laptops for our guests usage. We also have some books anyone can borrow. But our heart and spirit is in NOT blasting music and TVs because the majority of our guests come to enjoy serentity, reading and family time. We can not accomodate everyones needs, but we do not advertise that we have TV because we do not.
When my staff recognized how unhappy you were, we fully refunded your money as agreed by you, when in actuality, we had not done anything in our advertising to bring you in on false premises. The weather can be very difficult, but sadly, we are not able to control the weather or the roads. Many guests relish the rain, read and enjoy a quiet meal and simply savor the beautiful wave sounds and night sounds.
As the owner, I am always sad to hear such a review. But if the readers continue on, they will see others feel very different than you guys.
I think that we did everything in our power to make you happy, and you were in our most expensive and luxurious beach front villa for a nominal fee...and...even with that, we refunded your money.
I do suggest that travellers that will be unduly dismayed by rain, should not choose to travel to a remote area where nature is their number one entertainment!
I had to make a choice when building Pranamar....and my heart and soul went into NOT making a typical hotel with t.v.s and radios and lots of distractions from what costa rica offers....beaches, serenity, lovely walks, biking and when there is lots of rain......a GOOD BOOK!
Thank you for understanding...we sure are sad when someone is unhappy!
But we must stand by our vision.
Susan Money
Georgia, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011 via mobile

Having become disenchanted/disgusted by what Tamarimdo has become over the years, my wife and I finally sought out a new vacation spot in CR this year. Needed upper-tier place to stay on the beach in proximity to good restaurants, beginner-level surf, and maybe some nightlife. After reading Lonely Planet and deciding upon Mal Pais, i went to the Trip Asvisor reviews of hotels in Mal Pais and Santa Teresa (btw, these are basically connected as one beach town). I ended up booking at Moana Lodge, and stayed there for the first few nights of the 11-day trip. No complaints with the place, but wasn't on the beach. I had planned to look for a more ideal place once there anyway. After visiting many hotels on the beach in the area, we chose Pranamar. The whole place and staff were excellent. When i searched on Trip Advisor, i never went past the first page of listed hotels; therefore, i never even saw pranamar. What more can i say-- i looked at a lot of places in the area, including all of top-ranked-- and pranamar was the best.

• Stayed July 2011
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, September 18, 2011
Dear Ross,
We are so glad that you finally 'found' us at Pranamar and we do hope that you and your wife will return to visit us soon. We will continue to do our best to create the best vacations for everyone who stays with us. Till next time...be well!
THanks so much,
Nancy Goodfellow
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

I can not recommend Pranamar Villas highly enough. It has to date been one of the most amazing experiences of my life. The hotel ambiance, location but most importantly the staff made it the most memorable holiday of my life to date! YOU MUST VISIT THIS PLACE!! The hotel itself is set in the most beautiful grounds & all of the bungalows are decorated in an exquisite individual style. The restaurant serves the most AMAZING food with all fresh daily ingredients & the chefs are truly world class. Venezio the bar tender making the cocktails - all i can say is I have never tasted such a phenomenal passion fruit mojito anywhere else in the world! The service is the best part of this place - being greeted by the amazingly warm reception staff & starting out your visit with a homemade Shiva's Nectar fruit cocktail. Then having all the staff especially as I was a single female traveller taking such good care of me made me feel like I was part of their family immediately. I spent a week there & met some me of the most beautiful people - both staff and other guests staying in the hotel. There is a gorgeous pool & it is literally steps from the beach so I surfed every day on deserted beaches that was a wonderful change from the crowded beaches in LA! Pranamar and its staff have given me back me & for that I am forever grateful. From the bottom of my heart thank you Susan, Nancy, Monica, Dago, Alvaro, Andreas, Marco, Venizio, Kenneth and all of the other staff at Pranamar. You will never be forgotten & I am already planning my next trip back!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, September 23, 2011
We all couldn't have been happier helping to make your vacation a transformational and perfectly enjoyable one! We can't wait for your return...your smiling face and cheerfulness fit right in with our Pranamar 'family'!! You will always be welcomed and remembered with us!! Hope to see you very soon Anusha. All the best wherever your journeys take you!
Santa Ana, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

I stay during this weekend with my son and really I have a wonderful time the service is very good the food is delicious and and the gardens are very nice.

The people that is working at Pranamar villas are very kindly persons

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Been to Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat? Share your experiences!