“Should be Number 1 !!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 25 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Georgia, USA
“Should be Number 1 !!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011 via mobile

Having become disenchanted/disgusted by what Tamarimdo has become over the years, my wife and I finally sought out a new vacation spot in CR this year. Needed upper-tier place to stay on the beach in proximity to good restaurants, beginner-level surf, and maybe some nightlife. After reading Lonely Planet and deciding upon Mal Pais, i went to the Trip Asvisor reviews of hotels in Mal Pais and Santa Teresa (btw, these are basically connected as one beach town). I ended up booking at Moana Lodge, and stayed there for the first few nights of the 11-day trip. No complaints with the place, but wasn't on the beach. I had planned to look for a more ideal place once there anyway. After visiting many hotels on the beach in the area, we chose Pranamar. The whole place and staff were excellent. When i searched on Trip Advisor, i never went past the first page of listed hotels; therefore, i never even saw pranamar. What more can i say-- i looked at a lot of places in the area, including all of top-ranked-- and pranamar was the best.

• Stayed July 2011
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, September 18, 2011
Dear Ross,
We are so glad that you finally 'found' us at Pranamar and we do hope that you and your wife will return to visit us soon. We will continue to do our best to create the best vacations for everyone who stays with us. Till next time...be well!
THanks so much,
Nancy Goodfellow

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

I can not recommend Pranamar Villas highly enough. It has to date been one of the most amazing experiences of my life. The hotel ambiance, location but most importantly the staff made it the most memorable holiday of my life to date! YOU MUST VISIT THIS PLACE!! The hotel itself is set in the most beautiful grounds & all of the bungalows are decorated in an exquisite individual style. The restaurant serves the most AMAZING food with all fresh daily ingredients & the chefs are truly world class. Venezio the bar tender making the cocktails - all i can say is I have never tasted such a phenomenal passion fruit mojito anywhere else in the world! The service is the best part of this place - being greeted by the amazingly warm reception staff & starting out your visit with a homemade Shiva's Nectar fruit cocktail. Then having all the staff especially as I was a single female traveller taking such good care of me made me feel like I was part of their family immediately. I spent a week there & met some me of the most beautiful people - both staff and other guests staying in the hotel. There is a gorgeous pool & it is literally steps from the beach so I surfed every day on deserted beaches that was a wonderful change from the crowded beaches in LA! Pranamar and its staff have given me back me & for that I am forever grateful. From the bottom of my heart thank you Susan, Nancy, Monica, Dago, Alvaro, Andreas, Marco, Venizio, Kenneth and all of the other staff at Pranamar. You will never be forgotten & I am already planning my next trip back!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, September 23, 2011
We all couldn't have been happier helping to make your vacation a transformational and perfectly enjoyable one! We can't wait for your return...your smiling face and cheerfulness fit right in with our Pranamar 'family'!! You will always be welcomed and remembered with us!! Hope to see you very soon Anusha. All the best wherever your journeys take you!
Santa Ana, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

I stay during this weekend with my son and really I have a wonderful time the service is very good the food is delicious and and the gardens are very nice.

The people that is working at Pranamar villas are very kindly persons

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Golden, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

I stayed in the Kula House at Prana Mar for a yoga retreat last February and had a blissful week. I have never been so relaxed and felt so in touch with nature on a vacation before. The Kula House was perfect for the five of us and we all loved the outside showers. The restaurant served excellent, healthy food which was much appreciated by all. The yoga studio with a view of the ocean was icing on the cake. We were all amazed at how clean everything was kept especially being right on the beach!

Room Tip: The Kula House is perfect for a small group or family 5 or 6 persons
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
pranamar, Owner at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, August 21, 2011
We are so glad you enjoyed your Yoga retreat with us. The Kula House is definitely a special place for groups and families. Stay in touch as we will be offering many different yoga retreats throughout the year. We'd love to see you again soon!
Lafayette, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

I will start by saying that I have no affiliation with anyone at Pranamar. My wife and i just got back from a great week at Pranamar. We choose Costa Rica this trip as we didn't have 2 weeks to go to europe this year but wanted to do something other than go to the beach in Hawaii. Santa Teresa is like going to Hawaii but 75 years ago without all the commercial crap and prices. We had bungalow #1 and it exceeded our expectations. The rooms were clean, spacious and tastefully decorated. Our day would start with Nancy in the Yoga Shala followed by a wonderful breakfast then exploring, beach time or just hanging in our beautiful room. The food there is outstanding. We tried several other places to eat but Prananmar always came out on top. The chef loves to sing in italian while cooking and it is very entertaining. that brings me to the staff... Everyone is kind, helpful and wants you to have a good time. The owner ( Fred??) spent an hour with us going thru the landscaping on the property. In the short time that the hotel has been there, the plants are doing amazing. We love working in our garden and to share his love for his creative plant combinations was something you don't usually get. I would be remise if I didn't mention Nancy. My wife and I have have really been working on our yoga practice for the past year and Nancy was wonderful to be with for the week. She had a wonderful way of relating to us and our time in the yoga shala was tremendous. We took a private lesson from Nancy which I would recommend it. We also took surf lessons that week which was fun and a treat. We are from Northern California where we wear wetsuits year round.

All and all you can tell that we had a great time . We got some good rest, practiced our yoga and ate some great food. We are fans of Prananmar!!

S & J

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
pranamar, Yoga Teacher at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, August 21, 2011
This is Nancy writing to thank you both for being such a joy to teach. It was my pleasure to assist you in your yoga practice and it is always an honor for me to have such willing and open students in my classes. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope you'll come back soon for more bliss on the beach!!
Hoboken
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

Extremely friendly and helpful staff. Gorgeous pool and surroundings. GREAT rooms/villas! I absolutely loved the set up. We stayed in a two floor/two bathroom villa right next to the pool. We did yoga each morning in the shala enjoying the view and sounds of the ocean. So relaxing. Breakfast and lunch were delicious. Dinner was not the best, but wasn't bad by any means. I would have liked to do a little more advanced yoga, but Nancy, the instructor, was great, knowledgable and helpful.

While it seems like most of Santa Teresa is "off the beaten path" Pranamar is about a 15 minute ride from "downtown Santa Teresa" and without paved roads it feels like a bit of a hike. Would have liked to have made it out while we were there, but we did trips during the day and relaxed at night. Would definitely recommend this place if you want a nice, relaxing vacation in an amazing beautiful location.

Room Tip: I really don't think there's a bad room in this place.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
pranamar, yoga teacher at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, August 21, 2011
Thanks so much for writing and letting us know what you loved about Pranamar. I am thinking that you must have missed my Advanced Yoga classes on Thursday and Saturday at 9am. I always am very mindful of the different mixed levels in my classes and try to create a challenging, but safe space for everyone to practice in. I also teach private yoga classes which can be tailored to your exact needs and practitioner level. I hope you'll come back and check out our Yoga retreats happening throughout the year.
Denver, CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

So, we got married in Costa Rica and then headed to Playa Santa Theresa just the two of us. We actually stayed at Flor Blanca, up the street from Pranamar. But I am telling you, we spent most if not all of our time, coming to Pranamar. There is nothing wrong with Flor Blanca (see my review). But, Pranamar blew us away. It had the best food we had our entire trip in Costa Rica (we would dine there 2 times per day). Nancy, the yoga instructor, also had the most amazing space and we would go to her yoga classes every morning, followed by an unbelievable breakfast. Since we did not stay there, I cannot review the rooms, but next time we visit, we will definitely stay at Pranamar.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat? Share your experiences!