“Simply Magical” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 25 hotels in Santa Teresa
Monarch Beach, California
“Simply Magical”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

First and foremost, the staff at Pranamar welcomed my fiance and I as if we were family. Each and every one of them went above and beyond to take care of our requests and many questions. We look forward to visiting our new friends again as much as visiting their beautiful country. The grounds and accomodations at Pranamar are very comfortable and reasonable for the amenities that are provided. An amazing choice of breakfast was included with our room, and all other meals at the restaurant were first class. I could not have been more pleased and satisfied with the level of service and value provided. We cannot wait to come back! Thank you Susan, Mario, Maryanne, Marco, Dago, Andres, Kenneth, and Vinny!

- Sean & Natalie

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
pranamar, Manager at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, June 30, 2011
Sean and Natalie,

We surely felt like like we made new friends having you here. All your other friends as well, it was a pleasure!!! Whenever you wish to come back we will be waiting, waves will be waiting, yoga, the sun... mojitos.. all the good stuff!
I hope you are enjoying back home!!

Pura vida amigos!!!!

195 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Metairie, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

Stayed at Pranamar for a Women's Quest Yoga and Surf Retreat. It is gorgeous. The staff bent over backwards to take care of us. The yoga was inspiring, as was Nancy!

Can't recommend it enough.

Room Tip: Villa 5 had a great view of the ocean.
  • Stayed May 2011
denver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2011

Took my very first trip with a group out of Colorado called Woman's Quest to Costa Rica. We stayed in Santa Teresa at Pranamar Villas. The villas were very inviting, cozy, and just gorgeous over all. Our group practiced yoga each morning with our amazing instructor named Nancy Goodfellow. Nancy is clearly an expert in teaching yoga. She is easy to understand, gives plenty of great direction and is very passionate at what she does. If you want a trip in a tropical setting, want to practice yoga looking out at the ocean, be pampered,feel rejuvenated then this is the destination for you! I give it 5 stars.

Room Tip: Every villa is situated just perfectly.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
pranamar, Manager at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, May 22, 2011
Dear Ellen,

We already miss you all here with us!!! Thank you for bringing such a nice and vibrant energy to our place, and thank you Womens Quest as well! We all hope to see you back here with your kids in the near future! 'Till then we will be here, enjoying of the ocean, yoga, and the pura vida!!!! Sending you lots of good vibes! :)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

Our group went for a yoga retreat. This place is perfect for yogis. Pranamar is a place one can expect to feel completely relaxed without even trying. The people at Pranamar are the most friendly and accommodating group of people I have had the pleasure to meet.

Room Tip: The Villas on the beach is the way to stay.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

My mother and I are Southern girls who have only ever waded in the white water of the sea. But at Pranamar we were able to make our surfing dreams come true.

We stayed in Villa 5, which is conveniently located right between the pool and the restaurant and bar area.

The villa itself is one of the smaller accommodations (I was told) but it was amazingly spacious, well air conditioned (when we chose), and had a gorgeous front room and bath. The staff did an amazing job at keeping it clean every day and stocked with items we needed. Any wish was their command.

From the moment we checked in, a smiling waiter greeted us with welcome drinks I would later learn are called "Shiva's Nectar" and are served with ginger, almond milk, and various fruits. The recipes are all Pranamar originals and are concocted from the minds of some of the most excellent chefs I've ever been honored to experience.

The restaurant and bar, I must take a moment to pause and give a standing ovation. They were phenomenal with their servers, bar tenders, host/ess, and chefs. The food is out of this world, gorgeous, and makes you feel healthy even when you eat the whole plate. The decor is fitting for the cool resort and the entire staff feels more like a family than employees--yet professionalism is their middle name.

And speaking of names, I knew each of the staff members, but not because of their name tags. They are so friendly and inviting, and learn your face as soon as they can. They will do anything to make your stay more comfortable, if you only allow it.

The pool, grounds, hammocks, and rooms (including yoga shalah) were spotless and beautiful on a daily basis for the week I spent there. If you visit and don't try the hammocks... you're missing out!

The yoga shalah is where Nancy, one of the sweetest women I've ever met, instructs in yoga. The week was spent leading my group through challenging (but not impossible) element-themed yoga lessons. Though I missed water, fire was my favorite. It energized as well as calmed me so that I could take the board for a ride instead of letting it bash and bruise me.

And this leads me to surfing: Bennie and Al, a cute and quirky couple who will become your best friends while teaching you the "zen of the art of surfing." She (Bennie) lifts your heart with her disarming and charming nature and encourages you to believe in your inner surfista, while Al keeps you laughing and fascinates you with the science (and the spiritual) of surfing. Truly a blessing that I got to experience their wonderful addition to my stay!

For shopping, the staff helped us find local places in Santa Teresa. I brought back unique hand-made jewelry, ceramics, and original design clothing made right there in the community. I ate casados (typical Costa Rican dinner plate) at adorable shops right in town and even chatted some with the locals (good to know Spanish).

(Side note: The bank does require you enter one at a time, passport required, and you might want to know some Spanish or take a guide or phrase book. This is only in town tho; no one in Pranamar gives you problems.)

Pranamar also helped us with finding things to do outside of the resort, other than surfing. We went to Mal País, a nearby town, and did a 2-hour zipline canopy tour, conveniently located down the road. All I can say is wow! Wow! WOW! It was very new to me, but I took to it like one of Costa Rica's famous tree-top monkeys! I also got a chance to experience the ATV rides on the beach. As bumpy as the roads are, do not get discouraged because they take you to the beach. If I had more time, I would have gone to Montezuma's zipline too, as well as horseback beach rides and nature rehabilitation center.

We also went to Vista de Olas, which had a gorgeous view, but paled majorly in comparison to Pranamar's pampering. And, to be fair, that's all I'll say.

Pranamar is my one-stop hang out forevermore when I'm in Santa Teresa, Costa Rica. I wouldn't dream of going anywhere else.

Room Tip: Call in advance, of course, and be courteous. :)
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
pranamar, Manager at Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat, responded to this review, April 7, 2011
Thank you so much for letting us host your surf and yoga adventure! This is what we are here for, to make your dreams come true. And yes, we do work like a family and having guests like yourself always gives us the feeling that we are having friends over for a visit (of course friends we will serve and attend happily)!!! We would love to see you back here, what a beauty it is to meet new friends!
Be sure the Pranamar Family is honored by reading your review!!!!

Pura Vida!!!!
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2011

My wife and I stayed in the beach villa and we had an incredible time! The beach villa was very nice and clean and the staff does a fantastic job and are extremely friendly. It's clear that the staff tries very hard to make sure that you're stay is nothing less than perfect. The food was very good (get the French toast for breakfast - it's phenomenal) and great drinks were served by a very talented bartender. My wife did the yoga classes and enjoyed them very much. The instructor is excellent at yoga and the classes were definitely challenging. I went surfing in front of the hotel and down the beach to Playa Hermosa and caught some really good waves early in the morning before the wind picked up. I would highly recommend Pranamar to anyone; the staff really does treat you like family!

Yonkers, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

I cannot say enough wonderful things about Pranamar.

Villas & Property - We stayed in a 2 bedroom poolside villa. It was beautiful clean and very open. The photos really don't do the rooms and property justice. The pool was stunning and almost felt like a river running through the property.

Food & Drink - We travel often to slightly off the beat and path locations and have become used to "acceptable" food when traveling. Boy was I surprised, the food at Pranmar was fantastic. I live in NY and so I don't throw the word fantastic and food around in the same sentence unless I really mean it! The fresh fish and wonderful salads were a real treat after yoga. Everything was full of flavor and totally fresh. Don't miss out on the drinks there are delicious with surprising combination like fresh basil and ginger in lemon aid. The non-alcoholic menu was so delicious that we hardly had any "real" drinks.

The Staff - I don't know how they did it, but it feels like this place is all staffed by a family. Everyone is so gentle and kind. All of the staff was friendly and helpful. We wanted to take an ATV tour up to Montizuma and see the waterfalls. Dago at the front desk wasn't sure if he'd be able to us a tour guide in time and offered to take us on his day off. We had such a great time and by the end of the day we'd made a new friend!

The Yoga, Surfing & Activities - With our villa a yoga class a day was included. Nancy the morning instructor was great. The yoga was a bit more advanced than our skill level but she was really helpful and continued to remind all of us that yoga was not about pushing but about breathing and being present. The slow flow class at sunset was so relaxing and pleasant I wish it was offered every day. We also took a surfing lesson from the on site surf school, it was really fun and our instructor was very patient!

Location - The place is truly beautiful and right on the beach. During the day when the tide is out there are natural occurring wade pools in the ocean that are warm and just a treat. A few hundred feet to the right is some of the best surfing in Costa Rica!

If you're considering going to Santa Teresa this is the location you should stay!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Pranamar Villas and Yoga Retreat? Share your experiences!