“I love Nautilus - and Edi and Gal! :)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Nautilus Boutique Hotel- Wellness Retreat

Save Saved
You added Nautilus Boutique Hotel- Wellness Retreat to your Saves list
Nautilus Boutique Hotel- Wellness Retreat
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   75 M East Of Brunellas, Santa Teresa 12112, Costa Rica   |
Offers & Announcements
15% off room rate
Ranked #2 of 30 Santa Teresa B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“I love Nautilus - and Edi and Gal! :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I went to Santa Teresa with my good friend and spent 5 nights at Nautilus. My friend was the one who took the initiative to find a hotel for us, so I wasn't really clued into the situation; the extent of my research was making sure Nautilus' Trip Advisor review was ok before we sent in our 50% deposit over Paypal. The moral of the story is to believe all the excellent reviews on TA about this place. It was PERFECT for our Costa Rican adventure!

Edi and Gal (recently married - mazel tov!) were the owners in charge when we stayed here. The other owners (Adi and Arik) were in San Jose for the duration of our stay, so we unfortunately had no interaction with them other than via email (to which they were still remarkably responsive, by the way! This was one of the best things about choosing Nautilus even before we got there). Edi and Gal made our trip amazing while we were Costa Rica. They had great recommendations for restaurants and activities, were fun to chat with and learn more about the area, and went out of their way to make our stay complete! The masseuses Edi and Gal booked for us were AMAZING, like the best we've ever had amazing. All the activity providers we booked through Edi and Gal were also awesome (surf, paddleboard, ATV, etc.). I really can't say enough. We missed them as much as we missed Costa Rica when we left - thanks, guys!

The facilities of the hotel were very nice. Olam (separate restaurant review) was DELICIOUS. The yoga classes/studio there were relaxing and nice, and classes cost $10 each. They take place a 9 am and 6 pm (we wish yoga had been at 4 pm so we could've done class then seen the sunset afterwards! we probably would've done more if this had been the case). Masseuses can be booked to come on premises to the yoga studio area. The pool was small but clean and peaceful. We were always the only people using it when we were there. The hotel's proximity to the beach was also excellent - a 3 min walk. We were within 5 minute's walk to an excellent dinner restaurant, Alma (separate restaurant review). The entire hotel had a modern serene vibe. The villas/rooms were basic but had a nice modern/chic vibe and had all you needed for a beach retreat in Costa Rica. Our room had a kitchen with a fridge, dishes, coffee maker, toaster, etc. Our villa/room had one remote-controlled a/c unit that heated and cooled the rooms. It worked plenty well to cool the entire villa/room.

The only (tiny) negative about the hotel was its proximity to some roosters across the dirt road. This woke us up every morning at 4:30, and, while this impacted my sleep quality rating on this review, it also was kind of charming at the same time. The same goes for the howler monkey noises that sometimes mixed in with the roosters. Though obviously it impacts your sleep, it is pretty cool to be in a place that has monkeys roaming around! But, please don't take this as a reason not to stay at Nautilus. I just thought I would explain the 3/5 sleep quality rating I gave. This is what it means to stay in a tiny town in Central America!

We had an excellent experience here and would absolutely recommend Nautilus to friends and family. It was exactly what we were looking for in a relaxing, renewing, and healthy tropical retreat. We loved it!

Room Tip: If you're worried about rooster noise, request a villa/room further away from the road (larger v...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
hotelnautlius, Owner at Nautilus Boutique Hotel- Wellness Retreat, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you very much for reviewing our hotel .

We love what we do , and hope you enjoyed your time here .

Looking forward having you again .

170 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

As my taxi pulled in I was greeting outside with a hug by Gal and knew I made the right choice in hotels. She showed my to my room and a few minutes later a pineapple, cucumber mint smoothie arrived as I unpacked. Gal and Edi go out of their way to make your stay complete - from booking a massage, to making a dinner reservation to renting an ATV to calling a taxi they are there for you! Each room has a kitchen and a living room and after a few days I really started to feel like I was home and not on vacation. I liked it there so much I changed my flight and stayed a few extra days. The location was perfect - just a short walk to the beach, the market and a few restaurants. The pool area was so peaceful and the yoga classes were amazing. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with the rest of the world.

We hope to see you soon.

Nautilus Team
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

We have been traveling around the country and when we arrived at this hotel we were absolutely SHOCKED by how beautiful the aesthetics of this hotel. The woman working the Reception (didn't get her name from my state of bliss) was the #1 nicest person we met since the start of our travels. My husband was sick from seafood and she was so incredible with helping, we are her biggest fans forever because of it.

**important** we booked two nights on Kayak the night before and when we got to the hotel, the receptionist said Kayak over booked them! I would suggest calling any hotel you book off Kayak to confirm before arriving. This is the SECOND time this trip. The receptionist went above and beyond getting us a place to stay and called someone, whom I am assuming is the owner, who took it on personally to find us a comparable hotel in the area for our 2nd night that Nautilus was over booked for. A few hours later, he called her and she let us know just right next door at Costa Riki had a place for us. We will pay for both nights through Nautilus and Nautilus will pay Costa Riki. We couldn't have been happier and will refer all of our friends to this hotel. ITS THE BEST PLACE IN COSTA RICA!! And we've stayed at 8 other hotels on this trip!!!! Go there!!

• Stayed March 2013
hotelnautlius, Owner at Nautilus Boutique Hotel- Wellness Retreat, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thanks guys for the kind words , i was able to do the best i could to assist you, hope we will see You guys once again !

Best regards
Adi
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

My husband and I recently spent the second week of our honeymoon at Nautilus Boutique Hotel in Santa Teresa. It provided the R &R that we were looking for after hosting a destination wedding the week prior. The owners are so friendly and greet you with open arms. They are eager to give you some tips and advice on where to eat, explore, etc. All of which were very accurate! The grounds are very clean -- very small and personal. There was almost never anyone else at the pool ( they are mostly on the beach). Spent some nice quiet afternoons in the shade near the pool. The restaurant was incredible. The food was always fresh and they start serving breakfast as early as 7am. Our room was exactly what we needed. It's clean, simply decorated but feels warm. The towels and sheets are replaced every day. Ours had a kitchen with a toaster, elements, a blender, etc. We really, really enjoyed our stay at Nautalius and we will be returning! We promise. There is yoga on site as well for a fee of $10. Very beautiful outdoor studio.

Room Tip: All of the rooms would be a great choice -- none of them are far from the pool, restaurant or yoga s...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks guys for your great stay with us !
We had a good time making your honeymoon a memorable and precious time as it should be !

KInd regards
Golden, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We recently spent the greater part of a week at the Nautilus Hotel in Santa Teresa and had a great experience. Our time there began with a delicious complimentary smoothie from Olam, the on-site restaurant, and the ability to check in 4 hours early. Eddy and Gal were very attentive to our needs, provided us with suggestions for local restaurants and nearby activities and were very easy-going. The photos on the website are very representative of the atmosphere and condition of the hotel. We cooked while we were there and found the kitchen to be well-stocked and were very appreciative of the full-sized refrigerator. It was extremely convenient to have yoga available two times each day. The studio is open, airy, and is a great place to practice. The pool area is also very beautiful, quiet, and private. We would certainly stay at the Nautilus again and would recommend it to family and friends.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
hotelnautlius, Owner at Nautilus Boutique Hotel- Wellness Retreat, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thanks Jamie , was so much fun having you here , Photos of the Crosc were amazing the real Thing isnt it ! hope to see you guys sometimes in the near future.

Pura Vida
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

After traveling 15 hours to get here, the owners / operators welcome you with open arms. Taken in like a distant relative you are helped and made to feel at home. dinner suggestions turn out to be right what you were looking for and you can honestly appreciate their opinion / advise on where they are telling you to go because they have been there, in comparison to asking taxi drivers and other locals who just know where people eat and haven never been them self. aside for extending great suggestions and open arms they really cared about our trip and what we were in town to experience and where else in Costa Rica we were traveling to and the suggestions they had to offer.. On top of all of that, we had an accident with a quad on a beach 30 min from them and were so worried an concerned to hear and were worried that we were okay more than anything.. after it was all said and done next time I'm in Santa Teresa I'm staying somewhere I can feel at home and that is exactly how I felt..

Room Tip: small grounds so you are only feet from the yoga studio, breakfast and pool..
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Hi guys

Happy to hear that the quad accident was not a factor in your experience here.
Was a pleaure having you here, thanks for the complements !
Best regards to your brothere !
Pura Vida
Mooresville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

There is good reason all of the reviews are excellent. The owners, staff, and hotel are just that. My wife and I have travelled quite a bit throughout the caribbean and central america, but we have never experienced anything quite like Nautilus. Beautiful rooms, wonderful food and great service, but more than anything, what makes Nautilus special is the people. Edi, Adi, Arik, and Gaia are the warmest, happiest, most helpful people I have ever met. They are amazing. Whether you need a reservation for dinner, a taxi, a quad to rent, or recommendations for activities, they are all more than willing to help. The food at Olam is exceptional. (try the Olam breakfast at least once). There is no shortage of activities in the area. All you need to do is ask. We rented a quad, and I highly recommend it. It certainly added to the experience. The roads are a bit dusty, but well worth it. Hike to the waterfalls and/or take the zipline tour in Montezuma. Watch the sunset into the pacific from an infinty pool on top of a mountain in Mal Pais. Take a surf lesson. Relax by the pool or beach. Eat some of the best sushi ever at Kojis. Have an off menu meal at one of the other great restaurants. Relax at the hidden beach. These are just some of the great things that were recommened, and completely taken care of by our hosts. I cannot recommend the hotel enough. Stay there, eat there, relax there. Write your own review. You will want to... this was my first. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Chris,

Your warm and kind words makes our "JOB" so much worth the while, it is our love to people like Your slef that drives us and gives us motivation to do what we do ! we had the pleasure meeting You ! till the next time
Adios amigo !

Arik

Been to Nautilus Boutique Hotel- Wellness Retreat? Share your experiences!