“Amazing Hostel” 5 of 5 stars

150 meters north from soccer plaza, Santa Teresa 1, Costa Rica   |
Ventura, California
“Amazing Hostel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Not being able to find our original destination we wandered into Don Jon’s no really knowing what to expect. The tranquillo man at the desk was very friendly an offered to show us a room, this is Jon, he is relaxed! We walked through the compound, past the shared outdoor, well stocked kitchen, outdoor showers (to knock the sand off), and back to the three, three story teak huts. Each room has a hammock right in front, on the deck. We were on the second floor (the third floor is a deck, decked out with hammocks. Great place to watch the nightly lighting storms) Each room had its own bathroom: toilet, sink, mirror and cold shower. Do not let the cold shower scare you, there is no need for hot water as it is so humid it feels great to just cool down a bit. The beds are WAY above average! In fact I would say it was the best bed I slept on while in Costa Rica. The ceiling fan above the bed is a nice touch. The roosters crowing at 2am, 3am, 4am...no so much...but I got used to them by the end.
Jon gave us tips on where to go to rent surfboards, where to surf, food, drinks, reggae night. Don Jon’s has a great restaurant too: free coffee, breakfast always with fresh fruit, post surf burrito lunch. We stayed at Don Jon’s restaurant patio most nights; drinking (Imperial for me, GREAT fruit smoothies for my Fiance), talking with travelers, playing cards and just chilling. Don Jon’s is centrally located and near the market, bakery and other restaurants.
Surfing the beach breaks of Santa Teresa was gnarly! Ended up surfing a little left point to the south of Don Jon’s till the skin came off my ribs. It was a bast!

Don Jon’s slogan is “relax to the max” and they mean it! Way cool place and I’d stay there again, whether it was with my pregnant fiance or a group of guys on a surf trip. Many thanx to Jon and his girl, Alejandro, “the cook”, the various travelers we met for making the end of our trip so memorable!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I recently went to Don Jon's and it was awesome! I highly recommend staying in what we called Ewok Village, they are beautiful rooms built out of teak wood. Lovely hammocks you can lounge in during the hot parts of the day and relax. It's so close to one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever been on. Another bonus is that the restaurant has some of the best breakfast burritos I have ever eaten. This place is priced right, has a great host, great rooms, and an awesome staff.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013 via mobile

This place has become a favourite destination forme and my friends. A friendly and relaxing environment, to experience central america at its best! Just a short walk to the beautiful beach, and prestine surf!
Its alsways the highlight of my year when I can get to visit Santa Teresa.

• Stayed February 2013
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

It took me long to comment on this wonderful hostel, 'cause usually I'm not the one who judges on hostels. If I have made a bad experience, I forget the place quickly and if it was a really good one, I don't want the place to get too crowded. But Don Jon's place really deserved a positive comment, because his place is probably the best to stay at in whole Costa Rica, if not in the world. It is just a few steps away from the most beautiful beach - especially for surfers this must be paradise. It is not that kind of beach where you can find a bunch of people, it is small enough to find the right people to relax with and definitely large enough to enjoy some loneliness, too.
The room we stayed at was not hostel-like at all. We stayed in a three-bed-dorm with a seperate bathroom. All was made out of wood and really really clean. The small and private veranda with a hammock was the right place to relax during the hot hours of the day.
The kitchen was the only place which could deserve a little replacement, because sometimes it was hard to find the right cooking utensil.
But never worry about starving, because the super-friendly and helpful owner, Don Jon will show you how to enjoy life in Santa Teresa and has always got the right advice!
What a wonderful place - seems that this is little paradise on earth!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I have been there twice now. Great place, very clean ,best value for the money in the area. The back area is really nice. You get both peace and party . if you wanna party go to the front if you want to just relax and keep quite you go to the back.

Theo

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
London, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Traveling is a unique challenge. Especially when you find the absolute ideal destination at the very beginning of your trip!

In January I set out to travel Costa Rica and the rest of Central America (money permitting). My first stop was Don Jons. Fast forward a few months, money all gone and I'm booking my ticket home, still firmly planted in a hammock at Don Jons. I never left.

This guy just has it figured out, and I (as well as the rest of my group) couldn't bring myself to leave. Don Jons hostel hums with efficiency to serve the surfers and back packers of Santa Teresa.

Free coffee all morning, to ease the hangover from either a reggae or disco night and wake you up for surf that pumps from sun-up until mid afternoon.

The best smoothies and burritos in town. Perfect fuel for a nap in one of Don Jon's many hammocks. By the time you wake up the waves will be clean again, and you'll be set for yet another picturesque sunset.

The only thing left to do after that is quench thirst with ice cold Imperial and Don Jons expertly mixed rum punch. Cook-outs, dancing, and singing tend to present themselves frequently at this point as well, so BEWARE!

This is the best place on EARTH! If you read this whole review and end up going to Don Jon's, give him and Alejandro a hug from Canadian Mitch, because I love those dudes!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Our original plan was to stay for two nights at Don Jons while passing through the area, wind up staying 5 because we were enjoying our stay that much! Jon Pacheco the owner went out of his way to make sure me and my family had everything we needed and was a great concierge of sorts! His staff was excellent and we had a great time at his mini resort. Food, accommodations and all around experience was wonderful! Did I mention it is only a couple hundred meters to one of the best beaches in Costa Rica! His place is secure and friendly. I highly recommend Don Jon's if you are in the area, you will not be disappointed! Our family stayed in the duplex with two bedrooms and a kitchen. T

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Don Jon's Lodge and Restaurante? Share your experiences!