I will try to keep this concise, as I could rave about this hostel for pages and pages. When we first arrived in Santa Teresa, my girlfriend and I checked out about 12 different hostels, hotels, and B&B's, as we planned on staying a few days or more. Most of the others seemed a bit overpriced for the amenities, and most owners/receptionists at nearby locations were trying a bit too hard to "sell" us on the rooms. We were traveling right at the beginning of the high . season. Don Jon's was one of the last places we explored, because we noticed it seemed to have more tenants, but once we stopped in, we quickly realized why it is one of the more popular accommodations. First of all, Don Jon himself is truly one of the most relaxed inspiring people you will ever meet, which sets the pace for the entire hostel. He is not at all interested in gouging tourists for money, which is why the rates are so low. The old saying "you get what you pay for" does not apply here, as the super clean dorms, breathtakingly beautiful jungle-treehouse style cabanas, and 2-bedroom, 2-bath apartments are priced much lower than they could (or should) be. We planned on staying for 3 days, which turned into 2.5 weeks. The food from the restaurant was amazing. The views from the top of the 3-story cabanas while laying in the hammock were amazing. (hammock city) This is truly a place where you can privately relax to the max, or get to know a great group of people. Seems most of the travelers who frequent here are like minded, which made for a great social atmosphere, as we made many friends while staying here that we will be keeping in touch with.. Yet we were there for a romantic getaway, and the private cabanas (conveniently located down a beautiful path away from the dorms and apartments) made for a perfect private getaway. Though we hadn't planned on socializing as much on our trip, the vibe was so excellent that we fell right in to the scene, participating in communal dinners in the kitchen, going out as a group, etc. The place is beautiful, with coconut and other fruit trees, flowers, gardens, beautiful decor (the woodwork of the cabanas is incredible) and this is just an all-around top-notch place to stay for the solo traveler, couple, or large family (as there were a couple families with small children fully enjoying their stay in the 2-bedroom apartments). Security, parking, the works! Don Jon has really covered all bases with his place. Our regular routine would be waking up to a fresh brewed cup o joe, fresh fruit, gallo pinto, then head out to a consistent perfect surf break right across the street at one of the most beautiful beaches in the entire country, come back over and take advantage of one of the outside showers, lay in the hammock for a while, strum the communal guitar, maybe play a little badminton in the yard, go surfing again, then enjoy another on-point meal from the restaurant, head back to the beach for the magnificent sunset, and maybe practice yoga in the tranquil studio space. The perfect life. Don Jon and his overly hospitable and friendly staff (of whom became more friends than staff) were very knowledgeable about the country, bus routes/times, other local restaurants (there is not a competitive gene in Don Jon, he just does it right), and were able to offer a variety of activities and tours. I'm sure there are many other good things I may have forgot to mention, but Don Jons is all about relaxing to the max, good surf, positive vibes, and hospitality. My advice is, look no further, you've found it. Can't wait to go back myself.
- Also Known As:
- Don Jon`s Hostel And Restaurante Hotel Santa Teresa
- Don Jon`s Hostel And Restaurante Hotel
- Don Jon*s Lodge And Restaurante Costa Rica/Santa Teresa
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Don Jon*s has a variety of accomodations, great restaurante, and is conviniently located. Dorm rooms for backpackers, modern apartments with AC for groups, and rustic cabins with private rooms all made from teak wood and very one of a kind. A restaurante serving the freshest fish tacos, burritos, sandwiches and salads all ways, always. Only 100 meters walk to Santa Teresa beach with consistent surf year round and in the center of the village near markets, reataurantes, and soccer plaza. A family run establishment where the service is personalized and with gusto. See you soon! Pura Vida! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld so you can book your Don Jon*s Lodge and Restaurante reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.