“Don Jon's ROCKS!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

150 meters north from soccer plaza, Santa Teresa 1, Costa Rica   |
New York City, New York
“Don Jon's ROCKS!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

From the start Don Jon's service was excellent. The staff (Rute and John) were very informative and super fast in replying my emails. I stayed there for three nights in one of their private rooms(w/o AC). The room was very comfortable, super clean, great ceiling fan and very safe. At night Don Jon has a super cool security guard that makes you feel even more secure. For breakfast you got try their breakfast burritos ($7) and their fruit shakes!!! I am a big guy and one was PLENTY OF FOOD after a couple hours of surfing!!! If you feel like cooking your own food, Don Jon has a kitchen with pots/pans, utensils and plates for you to use.
Don John's location was good. There are a few supermarkets, sodas,restaurants and shops a couple meters away. The beach... just around the corner!!!!! Downtown Santa Tereza is a bit far... (20min walk), but that to me was not an issue to me.
June is low season in CR, so if you want to party...that is not a good time to go. If you are up for good surfing, chill... I really recommend!!!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Giv'atayim, Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

I stayed at Don Jon's for 1 week, May 2012.

The place was everything I wanted and much more.
The location is right next to the beach where most people go out surfing from.
I stayed at the dormitories which were spacious, clean and comfortable.
The room has AC which is good if you just started travelling in CR and still not used to the heat. The room had also a fridge and a microwave oven which was great since I used to cook at the communal kitchen at night and had the leftovers the following day.

The food at the restaurant was really good. I usually don't care much for burritos, but the ones they serve here were really good. The fruit shakes are also great.

But the best thing about the place was the staff.
Ruth and Jon did a great job and it was a great pleasure to meet them.
Luna and Rambo made sure everybody is safe and relaxed.
Jon even suggested to loan me some beer money when the ATMs broke and I was stranded without money.

I would definitely stay here again if I would go the Santa Teresa.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

I stayed here with 3 friends for a week and had a great time. Don Jon's has a great location, and getting to the beach was easy. Jon knows the area very well and gave great advice on places to eat dinner, excursions, and night life. There are several really good restaurants within walking distance. The food at Don Jon's was amazing also, from fresh fruit, to breakfast burritos, to the fish tacos. The four of us stayed in one of Don Jon's apartments, but the Rustic Cabins looked really nice also, and we actually spent a lot of time on the roof decks relaxing in the hammocks and watching the monkeys all around us in the trees. The apartments have all the amenities you need, you can cook if you desire, AC if you need it, and it was very clean. We all felt very safe at Don Jon's, he has a security guard and several great guard dogs. None of us had any issues with theft. Although Jon did mention not to leave any valuables unattended at the beach. For those that surfs, the waves were amazing. We were all beginners, and this was really an excellent place to start. We'd go out at low tide, and then watch all the experienced surfers tear it up at high tide. Was very impressive to watch.

We all rented 4x4's one day and headed for Montezuma to swim at the waterfalls. I definitely suggest a trip there, and Don Jon can provide a great back way to get to them. Some of us planned to snorkel or dive and brought some of our gear but never made it out. There's a boat that leaves from Montezuma and goes to Turtuga Island, but there were mixed reviews and we ended up just deciding to stay at Don Jon's and relax.

Overall we all had a great trip and are looking forward to going back and staying at Don Jon's...hopefully early next year! Thanks again Don Jon and Ruth!!

Room Tip: The apartments have AC for those who aren't accustomed to the heat and are in the middle of the...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
San José, San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

Since I booked I received excellent service and complete information, and when I arrived it went so much better, all the staff in Don John's was very kind with me and made me feel like in home, most that it was my first time traveling alone. Don John's has an excellent vibe and the people that were staying there was so kind too. I took breakfast there and it was delicious. The rooms was very clean and comfortable. All was so excellent that I decided to stay one more night. In addition the beach entrance is so near so you can go there any time you want, it's around 100 meters, at night you can stay on the restaurant and share with other people staying there in a relaxing ambiance or go out at nightlife, I am from Costa Rica and was so interesting to meet people from different countries out there. In conclusion an unforgettable experience!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

I arrived at Don Jon's in early March planning on only spending a few days. Almost 3 weeks later I was still there and now that I'm home can't wait to go back. There are so many great things that make Don Jon's Hostel special.

First of all the food is amazing. They have really good breakfast burritos and their fish tacos were also a favorite of mine. I would also highly recommend getting a smoothie. I'm not a vegetarian but one of the hostel guests I stayed with was and accommodating their needs was no problem. Just be warned that the restaurant closes after ~3PM so not an option for evening dinners.

The hostel itself was an awesome place to stay at. It was a very good price ($16) considering all that was included. The hostel rooms are clean and beds are comfy. Most importantly for someone like me who takes awhile to adjust to the heat they have AC. It was also nice the hostel rooms have fridges so you can keep food around if you ever want to make something for yourself cheap and there is also a kitchen in the back available to all. I had a chance to look at some of the private rooms and they also looked really good too and are very reasonably priced. They had smaller private rooms perfect for couples and larger rooms for groups of friends travelling together so lots of different options. The tree house in the back is especially awesome and is a perfect spot for the yoga sessions they have arranged ($6 for +1hr session).

The hostel also had an incredible atmosphere. The hostel's motto "relax to the max" pretty much says it all. There is nothing better than surfing as much as you can and then relaxing in hammocks all day. There is also a really good party atmosphere during the evenings and Don Jon is very helpful in suggesting places to eat and party. He'll even often come out to show you around. That said he keeps things under control so that if you not interested in partying its still quiet and enjoyable for you to stay there too. In the hostel compound was the safest place I felt in all of Costa Rica, mostly in part to having the best security guard in Costa Rica. Thanks for not making fun of me all those nights I stumbled home drunk Jose!

I really can't say enough good things about this place. I've been all over North and South America and this is my favorite hostel I have ever stayed at. If you need any help booking any activity someone will be there to help you. There are also so many little extra things they did that make it such a great place to stay. Thank you so much Jon, Alejandro, Ruth and everybody who works there for making my stay so perfect. I can't wait to be back!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

Amazing food; tacos, burritos, guacamole, trust me, I know good food.

Service is with a smile, and the food is amazingly fresh; very important.

The menu, is simple, but nothing is compromised for freshness, seasonality, or availability.

You want the best fish tacos / burritos in town? You got it here guys.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012 via mobile

Stayed up the street but ate breakfast burritos at Don Jon's almost everyday that week. They are packed and amazing. Also great costa rican coffee. For two burritos, two coffees and two bottles of water spent about $20 USD with tip. Jon is very nice too. Took the time to show us the cabins and rooms if we were ever interested in staying. They look really clean and kinda Swiss family Robinson style. Def a must breakfast place if your hungry after an early am surf session. Go with the pinto burrito. Thanks Jon. Russ

• Stayed February 2012

Been to Don Jon's Lodge and Restaurante? Share your experiences!