“Memories for a Lifetime” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Rey Patricio

Save Saved
You added El Rey Patricio to your Saves list
El Rey Patricio
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   5km. Norte del cruce con Mal Pais, Santa Teresa, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #8 of 31 Santa Teresa B&B and Inns
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
“Memories for a Lifetime”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I don't think I can put into words the experience that my family and I had during our week at El Rey Patricio, but I'll try. We are a family of five with children 12, 10 and six. We stayed in the two bedroom, one bath cabina behind the main property. It was perfect for us. My husband and I had a queen bed and the children had bunk beds and a single in the adjoining room. We were lucky as that particular cabina has AC so we were very comfortable while sleeping. The front porch has perfect views of the ocean and a hammock for relaxing. On to the meals - everything was fantastic and so affordable compared to other restaurants in town. We should have eaten every meal there! Breakfast is perfect and Jane and Lee would basically make anything you wanted. Lee also handles lunch and the hummus sandwich was delish. My boys declared his cheeseburger the best they've ever had! All in all, everything we ate was great. About Jane and Lee - hands down the reason our trip was awesome. I don't know if it was the combination of the particular people staying that week or the amazing weather or the gorgeous setting or what but take all that, add Jane and Lee and we felt like we were at the most special place on earth. When we left I was struck that I may never see any of those people again as long as I live and, and while that was sad, I also felt so fortunate to have had that experience, for my kids to have had that experience. We could have stayed somewhere fancier (and much more expensive), but that's not what matters. What matters are the people you surround yourself with and Jane and Lee are two of the best. Maybe it's their job to take care of your every need (great conversation, meals, ziplining, surfboard and boogie boards, yoga, local culture, etc.), but they made us feel like we were their family. An unforgettable trip and unforgettable people.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We wished we could have stayed longer, because El Rey Patricio was the best vacation spot we have ever been able to experience! Lee and Jane are absolutely amazing and helped us have the best experiences in just the 4 1/2 days we were there! They were incredibly accommodating! From making us breakfast in the morning, to helping us get set up with surf boards, mnt. bikes, quads (to go to the waterfalls in Montezuma!) and they offer really good food for lunch and dinner as well.
The sunsets are bar none the prettiest on earth and you have the opportunity to have the best view from a little bench right in front of El Rey. There is nothing better than falling asleep to the sound of the ocean! This place is rustic, rugged and completely serene! We could go on and on about how great this place is, but just know it is absolutely awesome.

Room Tip: All rooms are facing the ocean.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I ended up staying almost a week, starting with the intention of only a day or two. No more could have been asked from this lovely family. Outside of the obvious luxuries (a/c!) we woke to a home cooked meal every morning and when we caught fish, a home cooked dinner with the family. If you are looking for good laughs, a comfortable stay, and smiles all day this is the place. Great job Jane and Lee, you guys have the makings for something great!

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

This was my second stay at El Rey Patricio and it has gotten even better since I was there 2 years ago.  Lee and Jane are the new owners and they have made so many improvements since the last time I stayed there.  The daily breakfast that came with my room was awesome, and they even gave me choices each day.  The hotel has the best view for sunset.  We went out to the tide pools and enjoyed a beverage from the bar at the end of each day.  So relaxing!  They helped with a fishing tour where I caught a bunch of mahi-mahi.  I'm glad that I went back to El Rey Patricio!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Santa Teresa, Puntarenas, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed at El Rey Patricio and had an amazing time. Jane and Lee were great hosts. The free breakfast that we got each morning was delicious and they even offered a few choices to choose from each morning. One morning Jane made us banana pancakes with fresh bananas from the property. The view that we had from the beachfront bungalow is amazing. El Rey Patricio is where you want to stay to get a real feel for Costa Rica. It is located on the north end of Santa Teresa which is great for a nice quiet stay. I will be back again next year!

Room Tip: try to get the bungalow if it is available...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Hampton Bays, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Recently stayed with Jane and Lee, at El Rey! They were terrific!! The view from their restaurant is incredible! They sit up off the road and away from the dust, private beaches and a short walk to the surf beaches!! They were also most helpful when it came to recommending different activities to do and where to rent quads.. If you want that perfect get away check this place out!!

• Stayed October 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

Lee and Jane, who now own and operate this A++ resort have turned it into a perfect combination of where Kieth Richards would have taken The Stones for "Exile on Mainstreet" if Costa Rica was their destination instead of France... and just the absolute best destination resort on the Nicoya Peninsula. They are all at once providing a family atmosphere (or a comfortable wholesome hedonistic one) where a bohemian, surfer, rocker or just a hip family looking for a secluded, sprawling, GORGEOUS resort destination in paradise can find their dream vacation spot. Part of your heart will never leave this place once you stay here with them. -world traveler 15 plus years p.s. - lee(a famous Florida ex-pat radio man) even operates a pirate radio broadcast from the resort!!! How amazing!!!!

• Stayed October 2012

Been to El Rey Patricio? Share your experiences!