“Peaceful paradise in the jungle!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Canaima Chill House

You added Canaima Chill House to your Saves list
Canaima Chill House
400 metros al este del Hostal Brunelas, hacia el monte | Playa Santa Teresa, Santa Teresa 60111, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #6 of 30 Santa Teresa B&B and Inns
Toronto
“Peaceful paradise in the jungle!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

I made a very last minute decision to go to Santa Teresa on my own and contacted Canaima Chil House to make a reservation. Juan Carlos replied immediately, offering a room and transportation to get me to the hotel (Santa Teresa is almost an hour away from the small regional Tambor airport. The hotel works with a wonderful transportation company – punctual, honest and kind - ask for Yorgan!)).

I arrived at Canaima where Juan Carlos greeted me warmly. He showed me to my room and offered his help with organizing any activities I wanted to do. I was meeting someone in town, so he offered to drive me down on his Quad after I had a chance to shower and settle in. The hotel is just a short 5 minute walk from the main “road” and beach, up a hill.

Walking to my room, I could not believe my eyes or senses! The hotel is built right into the mountain/jungle, and you must walk outside through a beautifully landscaped garden to get to the rooms. The value of this boutique hotel is incredible! For $60 (low season), I had a HUGE terrace with a dining table and swinging “chill out” bed. Also the doors to the room swing open so you can have the whole space as an “open concept”. There was a full kitchen: gas stove, dishes, utensils, fridge and a beautiful comfortable bed with mosquito nets wihch give the room a very romantic feeling. The shower is gorgeous, made from stone and glass and there is a small opening at the top of the glass wall which makes you feel like you are “outside” in the jungle taking a shower. Also, each room has a hand made book that includes the story of how the hotel was built (a dream come true for Juan Carlos), activities you can enjoy in Santa Teresa and the surrounding area, and menus of some excellent restaurants in the area. They also offer a juice bar and breakfast if you so desire.
The entire hotel is SO tastefully decorated and the structure was made with the natural elements surrounding it in mind. I had to pinch myself for finding such an incredible place!

The staff are wonderful and helpful. I was going to leave after two nights and checked out, reserved a taxi, but in the last moment decided to stay and when I called Carolina who works at the front desk, she said it was no problem and when I returned to the hotel that evening my bags were back in my room. On a few occasions I was out and about in town or on the beach and ran into members of the staff they all greeted me warmly; it was a very nice feeling for someone travelling on their own! Juan Carlos and his girlfriend live in the hotel, so there is always someone on site. On my last night my friend and I made pasta but I didn’t have any salt, so my friend asked Juan Carlos and he generously offered us some!! Oh and if you want to practise your spanish, everyone is VERY patient...they won't automatically respond to you in english (unless you are having a hard time!)

What I liked best was the location and the atmosphere: right in the jungle, beaaauuutiful surroundings and decor, waking up to the sounds of nature, space (I could lay out my yoga mat and practise in the room or on the terrace), clean, and especially the kindness from the staff. There is nothing I did not like about this magical place and recommend it to anyone who travels to Costa Rica.

This is the perfect place to have a romantic get-away or a gathering with friends. Even on your own, it is a very safe and secure place (there is a security box in the room and there is always someone on site if you need help).

Thank you Juan Carlos, Carolina and the rest of the team! You have created something soooo special and beautiful at Canaima....I hope to return very soon!! Hasta prontooo!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

Canaima Chill House is a perfect place to spend some holidays in Costa Rica , its location makes you feel so in contact with nature you´ll forget about everything else! Rooms are perfect, they include kitchen( if you don't want to spend money in restaurants), speakers and a great terrace to relax at dawn. The beach is 2 minute walking and the place is just perfect!
I highly recommend it!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

What do you write when you know words aren't going to be able to even come close to describing the fantasy world we immerse ourselves every time we set foot in the CANAIMA CHILL HOUSE? Sunrise surf sessions in the most spectacular breaks shared with no one else but the purest and most extent tropical beaches and untouched jungles. Meals made with the freshest most organic products enjoyed in our amazing room balconies or the super chill deck (including los alineados BBQ). NIghts of concerts among friends and bomb fires on the beach accompanied by a cross culture of events, performances and shows in the most bohemian beach community style. Somewhere that offers all kinds of entertainments for any kind of person. Wether you want to spend your days horseback riding on miles virgin beaches, surfing the most amazing and constant waves i have ever experienced, taking quad excursions, visiting the amazing waterfalls and landscapes you are surround by, or even just looking for a place to finally disconnect from everything and simply chill out and relax in a way you have never experienced before, the canaima chill house is the place to be. A place that allowed us all to escape our routinely ways of live and find ourselves being a part of the most amazing and exiting adventure we could have ever imagined.

Thank you to the CANAIMA FAMILY for making this posible,
nowhere else i would rather be...
PURA VIDA CAPITOWN!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
chicago, il
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2010

So while studying in Costa Rica i decided to go away w my other half for the weekend. we picked Canaima from a few pics and some really good reviews BUT i had no idea how amazing this place would be. Juan Carlos (a truly insightful hotel owner) & Alexis were waiting for us at the bus stop- & drove us the rest of the way... which was something they completely did out of niceness.

Our room, well were do i begin... each room has their own private balcony/porch area w/ a table & chairs, several high-stools to enjoy food from the window opening to the kitchen, and a twin mattress hung by rope on bamboo-which by the way my other half & enjoy enjoyed immensely as we stayed on it thru-out one of the entire nights. the bathroom had a mirrored glass wall so its like showering in the jungle itself. it was a romantic getaway-yet at the same time the most peaceful place ever!

Carolina brought us coffee every morning and went out of her way to help us find the things we needed... atv rentals, cool things to do, a local woman who could dry our clothes, and any excursion we wanted. You name it and Carolina & Juan Carlos would figure it out! theres also a communal porch area with awesome chairs, a pillow pit and a jacuzzi-which we didnt try BUT to no avail we're going back next week for the last 6 days of my stay here as i couldnt imagine spending my time anywhere else! i, okay we,truly <3'd this place.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Cairns, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2010

Can you give 6 stars for service? Can you give 6 stars for value?
We travelled through Costa Rica for 3 weeks - and stayed at the best reviewed hotels in the country - but the CCH was without doubt the best of the lot.
From the second we arrived Juan Carlos made us feel so welcome and gave us great local tips. OK, so far so good, this is a nice greeting. But then he drives us off to a place that we had been recommended for a drink - this is closed so he drives us 15 minutes down the road to one of his own recommendations. While doing this he makes bookings for dinner and when we can't get cash from the ATM for a day or two - he covers us! It was almost embarrassing how great a host he (and his partner Alexia) were. Yet at no time was it intrusive or unwelcome. This set the tone for the rest of the stay in a great little B+B with a cool, simple, stylish design aesthetic. You could pay almost 10 times the price at Florblanca and not have such an authentic and "chilled out" experience. The beach is close as are a load of bars and restaurants.
We had a great time in ST and could have spent more time here. On our last afternoon Alexia was suggesting an itinerary for us in (her native) Southern France! in a country as cool and friendly as Costa Rica it takes a lot to stand out. Canaima Chill House does this effortlessly.
A tip: Santa Teresa itself is a bit spread out and you're really beholden to the very expensive taxis, so if you're going to be travelling a bit an ATV is a good investment.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

Canaima Chill House is an extremely easy-going treasure trove of stylish comforts and tropical foliage perched on a hill just above the main street running through Santa Theresa. It's an easy walk to stunning sections of beach with great surf ,delicious and reasonably priced places to eat, and very cool nightlife with varying themes - reggae night, latina night, shammy night...Owner Juan carlos and his lovely girlfriend Alexia are very sociable and attentive hosts who are constantly working to make Canaima and the guests who stay there receive the maximum potential of their time in Santa Theresa.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2010

Went there for a calm vacation and found the nicest service from the owner and his partner. They gave me the best tips to take advantage of the area. You do not need to be a surfer to enjoy Santa Teresa. The rooms are nice, calm and decorated with really good taste.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo