“Perfect Surf and Relaxation Trip” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Canaima Chill House to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
Canaima Chill House
400 metros al este del Hostal Brunelas, hacia el monte | Playa Santa Teresa, Santa Teresa 60111, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #8 of 30 Santa Teresa B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“Perfect Surf and Relaxation Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Just returned from a 6 night stay here with two of my best girlfriends and we received an amazing experience at Canaima.

We went to Costa Rica on a girls trip with the goal of wanting to learn how to surf. Canaima Chill House had the perfect "surf experience" package for what we were looking for at a great price. Five nights, five days of surf lessons, breakfast, yoga, and a massage all in one package... yes, please!

Upon arrival we were warmly and enthusiastically greeted by Juan Carlos and Marta who showed us the grounds and escorted us to our rooms. They made sure we knew where everything was in our room as well as on the property. We were also told when the surf lessons would be and given the time option of when to have breakfast served on our deck.

The grounds and atmosphere:
Beautiful, serene, lush as it is up in the jungle. Perfect size pool for a dip to cool down and relax as well as meet and have conversations with other guests. The communal deck was perfect for enjoying the breeze and lounging around reading and listening to music as we all did.

Room:
Clean, functional, spacious and nicely decorated. nice large window behind the bed as well. Also, nothing beats a swinging bed on the large deck either! That was the ultimate place to take your afternoon nap. It is very open plan with outdoor shower and the tops of the rooms are open screens so you can always catch a nice breeze and listen to nature. We fell asleep to the sound of tropical rainfall and heard howler monkeys and various kinds of birds in the morning. No need for an annoying alarm clock or wake-up call. A couple of nights did get very hot (you are in a tropical zone after all) but the ceiling fan and fans in the loft beds was an easy fix for that. Kitchen was equipped with everything you need. This made it nice to buy food from the local supermarket and cook at "home" and have outdoor dinner on some nights.

Service and Experience: This was the best service I have had at a hotel. This is because you are treated like a friend and it all feels very personal. Beds were made and room was well cleaned each day. Alexia brought us breakfast on time and with a smile every morning and always asked how we slept. Marta, at reception, inquired about how our surf lessons went after each one and was genuinely responsive and interested in how we were doing. We were always able to have friendly chats and conversation on our way in and out and also were given proper directions when needed and had recommendations on drives and places to go . Juan Carlos' love for his hotel and his work are reflected in the way you are treated. It shows through him as well as everyone who works here. You always see him working on the place himself and tending to guests.

Many good restaurants, cafes, and grocery within walking distance. Staff has great recommendations and they will even order in for you if you like from a restaurant that delivers.

Surf Experience:

Can't say enough about how great the surf lessons went. We were taught safety and surfing etiquette from the beginning. We were always carefully watched and instructed for corrections at each wave we took on. With that, we were all able to stand up and ride a wave! A very knowledgeable, patient, and encouraging instructor.

The hill: Yes, it's intimidating. Thank goodness we did as the hotel website stated and got a four wheel drive... you will need it to get up but we had fun doing so. All part of the excitement. We all walked up and down many times but being from San Francisco, we're used to the hilly walks. We all just jumped into the pool to cool off after the walk. For those who are not physically active on a daily basis it might be rough to walk up.

Highly recommend this hotel and this town.

Room Tip: Take a surf lesson! Explore the town as there are a lot of good eats.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

250 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Ibiza, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

If you need some quiet, calm time up in the rainforest above the long white beaches of Santa Teresa, Hermosa and Malpais, Canaima gives exactly that. The Chill House is stylish and very chilled! The sounds of the birds, howler monkeys are infectious as is the greeness of the forest as you sit on your day bed, outside your room, on the large balconies of the Chill House. The hotel is small, welcoming, beyond relaxing and different in the best possible way to most of the other main roaded hotels of Santa Teresa. I started my trip of Costa Rica there and finished it there, going back to the hotel l as I loved it so much. I tried surfing- the owner of the hotel Juan Carlos is a certified and extremely patient, kind instructor. If you're a beginner surfer go for it! The staff and Alexi were all extremely helpful and came up with solutions to any request. The town is a haven for excellent holistic yoga, sushi eating and surf ie general wellbeing and feeling good. I hope you enjoy the Chill House as much as I did.

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

We headed to Canaima Chill House after strong recommendations of our friends. It was a the best decision we made! The hotel is located about 5 minutes walking distance to the beach. And the surrounding is just beautiful. We have seen gorgeous squirrels and monkeys in the trees from the pool.
The stylish rooms are very spacious and comfortable. And on the top of that, the owner has been so helpful! He really understood what king of vacations we were looking for and he advised us consequently.

Over all, we had a magical time here! We had one only regret .... to stay longer! But we will come back!

Room Tip: Take the Surf classes taught by Juan Carlos! Not necessary but I suggest to rent a quad from the h...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

My wife and myself reached the guest house filled with high expectations, stemming from a friend's enthusiastic recommendation as well as fostered by numerous glowing reviews on TripAdvisor. Unfortunately it took me much less than the 1-day booking we made to realise that Canaima wasn't as good as hyped. Not being sold beyond its looks, we ultimately opted not to extend our stay and headed towards greener (= chill-friendlier) pastures.

I should start by disclaiming my reviewing stance: a hotel (i) confidently advertising itself as a "chill house" / "stress-free zone" and (ii) charging USD80 a night for a double room in a very much non-mainstream touristic, rough-around-the-edges location moulded for the non-fussy type definitely calls for expectations. In a nutshell: if a box is presented as a jewel case and it shines, there has to be a gem inside. That's where I was disappointed.

First and foremost, I'd like to sincerely congratulate Canaima's owner for the lodge's truly exquisite and exceptionally stylish room design. Kudos for that: it is indeed a really well crafted jewel case.

The dusty, choppy and steep 500m slope leading to Canaima didn't bother me one bit: it's honestly disclaimed on the hotel's web-site, plus I regarded it as good exercise as well as a mood build-up tune towards sweeter things to come. Like a fresh room. Our room had no A/C, which I'd agree with the owner as being surplus to requirements – although I read of a different endeavour off a TripAdvisor response to a similar comment (from 2 years back)... – *so long as* there's decent ventilation in place. Despite the owner's opinion to the contrary, room ventilation was poor: the weak ceiling fan, purposefully fitted to be restricted to the bed area, was plainly inadequate. I don't enjoy sweating while simply packing / unpacking my suitcase; not in a "chill house" filled with promise. Leaving the door and windows wide open in a tropical jungle setting (= stale + very humid) without a proper mosquito net would do little – those pull-up curtains enable *some* privacy and environment separation, not insulation from pests – unless you're a fan of blood-sucking pests, to say.

The drop-down mosquito net around the bed didn't just work: its loose, if tender to the eyes, 4-section cut couldn't prevent 2 unwanted overnight wake-ups caused by both mosquito bites and the stuffy heat.

The magnificent shower grotto baited me for a really enjoyable showering experience; that I got, until I had to negotiate with the wobbly, part-leaking and frankly basic-quality shower head and hose. What a stark contrast with the surroundings!

While available, wi-fi connection is dispensed through a standard domestic modem (really!?! #1) lying on the reception desk at waste-level, hardly stretching the signal into our room – which was the ground-level 2nd closest one to the reception... – and gets switched off after hours (really!?! #2), which was an unexpected first as my travel experiences go.

Privacy is an unwarranted commodity: leaving the open-plan resort concept (which I don't dislike) aside, I don't need to hear my neighbours up top chatting, if considerately, or making otherwise normal noise; let alone late at night. While I wouldn't expect accommodations to be sound-proof, I would nevertheless associate the concept of a "chill house" with some acoustic insulation.

Available dishware from the kitchen corner could have been cleaned better, like the external hanging bed linen (a few marks left by previous guests) and room porch (2 cigarette butts and an used tissue).

We didn't take a full morning breakfast for granted; it's clearly noted as an optional add-on in Canaima's web-site, which a few (if outdated) comments on TripAdvisor cautioned me against. With that being said, complimentary filter coffee – perhaps self-made from a standard filter coffee machine – would have been a nice touch. Lacking that (it did), the availability of pay-for coffee would have been appreciated. Lacking that (it did)... you're incentivised to leave the guest house ahead of your morning schedule just to get a dirty coffee fix someplace down the village. Unless you're used to carry around your own filter coffee machine while on holiday.

My regret with all the above issues is that they could all be resolved with really little effort and cost-effective remedies (e.g. a couple of routers, modern shower units, larger and more powerful ceiling fans...) from the management's end. This is something I'm afraid I do expect from a resort of Canaima's pretence, also coming sign-posted as a stress-free zone. The following short-comings, however, I can't honestly see as so easily addressed and should be kept in mind.

While boasting a swimming pool, a separate Jacuzzi and a lie-in pillow lounge in the communal areas, their overly small size (fitting 3 guests with a loose personal space perception, 4 without) made me quickly realise that the simultaneous presence of just 2 guests in any is a dead put-off. In an resort of Canaima's size, and with the aforementioned ventilation issues, there will be strong 'competition' without a doubt. While using the Jacuzzi on my own – too tempting an opportunity to let it pass – I had overheard a resort guest regretting that the Jacuzzi was already occupied.

A side, yet crucial note: the swimming pool was dirty (= clouded water completely closing the pool floor's look); period. Sorry, no "we're in the jungle!" argument holds here: *all* other hotels I distributed my Costa Rican holiday around, which were framed into a jungle setting, provided remarkably clean, limpid pools. At the time I was there, maintenance of Canaima's swimming pool had been royally passed over for some time.

An afterward that pointed my final mark onto a 2/5 rather than a 3/5 is finally in order: the correct answer to a resort guest asking a payment receipt / invoice when checking out (which really shouldn't be requested in the first place) is along the lines of "Yes, of course: here it comes", not a reluctant "We don't normally issue receipts over 1 day-long stays (really!?! #3), but I'll issue one anyway".

Pura (y mas disfrutable en otros sitios) vida!

Room Tip: Head for rooms upstairs to enjoy more privacy and quietness.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
AnfiCostaRica, Owner at Canaima Chill House, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your review.

I really take it very personally and try to learn from all the feedbacks that our guests give us.

I love what I do and try to make every day my hotel better so travelers enjoy their stay. There are some moments where the "gem inside the jewel case" hasn't been perfectly polished and because of the rough environment we have around Playa Santa Teresa, the gem doesn't always shine as it should.

I am really sorry that you didn't find that "gem" inside the box.

There are some things that you commented on your review that we have already put a solution to. We are very sorry that during your stay you didn't find them as they normally are and should always be.

Just say that sometimes a couple of circumstances that don't depend at all of the management of the hotel, occur at the same time, and make things not work or be as some guests expect. Being in the middle of the jungle with an unpaved road and a 6 hours drive to the closest city where you can buy "decent" supplies for your business, sometimes makes things challenging.

We consider that internet is a very important tool for all our guests. We never turn off internet in any moment. However, we are in rainy season, storms occur often, therefore the whole town looses electricity making the internet system not work. I will consider buying an energy backup for our modem and WiFi router.

As I said in other replies to other guests, it's a shame that you didn't expose all your concerns, in the moment I asked you or your wife if you were enjoying your stay, having a "everything is fine, thank you" as a reply, because I'm sure that we could have immediately resolved some of the points you mentioned and made your stay much more enjoyable.

I hope you found a nice place to stay during the rest of your holidays in the beautiful Costa Rica.

PS: You keep referring Canaima Chill House as a resort, it's a very ambitious term but we are not a resort, we are a family business hotel of 8 rooms.
League City, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at Canaima for 12 days and it was the best decision we ever made. The location, the decoration, the staff. It was all amazing. We got in late because of the time our flight got in and it's a little trek from San Jose to Santa Teresa, but that is not a problem. As soon as we got in we were greeted by Marta and shown to our room and Juan Carlos had left a nice little note for us. The next morning we met Juan Carlos and he is a really great guy and extra personable. He told us about all of the places to eat at in Santa Teresa as well as where the grocery stores were and all of the "happenings" in town. Marta and Jaime who worked the front desk were super awesome and friendly. Anything you needed or wanted to know they were more than helpful. We also got to know them and become friends with them. We you are here you feel like family and that it's just an extended home. I loved the decoration of the rooms and how everything was so open. The jungle is your back yard. Our room also had a gas stove and a refrigerator which was awesome for the nights we just wanted to stay in and cook. So I see some people complaining about no A/C. It's really not that bad and if you feel it's "that bad" believe me your body will get used to it and you will start to realize that you don't really "need" A/C. Also, people complained about the hill. That isn't that bad either. My girlfriend and I actually enjoyed the walk up and down it. The first time we were maybe a little tired, but that's the whole reason we came to Santa Teresa in Costa Rica instead of a resort, to get away from the stagnant American lifestyles. The beach is very close and I love how the community stops what they are doing to gather on the beach and watch the sunset. The howler monkeys would hang out in the trees and howl at ATV's as they drove by which was pretty funny. Canaima and everyone there is amazing and I can't wait to be back in Santa Teresa and at Canaima. Juan Carlos, Marta, and Jaime made our stay perfect and I can't thank them enough! Also, take some surf lessons from Juan Carlos. I took one later in the trip, but I definitely wish I had taken them more and sooner. He is an awesome teacher and very patient with his students.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Rome, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

In spite of the last several less than stellar reviews I feel compelled to share my experiences. We had visited Canaima Chill House back in March on a two week trip through CR.

This was the highlight of our trip. The property was beautiful both in its construction and in the aesthetic details. The open layout provided a "chill" atmosphere and a nice breeze. Juan Carlos (the owner) offered great hospitality and also great surf lessons.

Our itinerary was lax with the intention of being able to stay where we wanted for however long we wanted -- we spent the largest majority of time here. Feeling nostalgic this morning, I browsed across this page and was offended by the unfair whining going on in the past couple reviews. As Juan Carlos has already tactfully responded all that I can really say is to disregard the negatives and trust that this property is a must see on your travels. I hope to be back soon!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

The rooms are so cool and the service is perfect! They are always looking aftershave you. If you need something They help you.
There is always clean.
I liked the intalacions, the swimming pool with all the relaxing beds near, it is so confortable.
I had eat so good.
I have had a great time and if i can,I will repeat it!! Congratulacions!!!

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Canaima Chill House? Share your experiences!