“Canaima was amazing and so was it's staff!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Canaima Chill House

You added Canaima Chill House to your Saves list
Canaima Chill House
400 metros al este del Hostal Brunelas, hacia el monte | Playa Santa Teresa, Santa Teresa 60111, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #6 of 30 Santa Teresa B&B and Inns
League City, Texas
“Canaima was amazing and so was it's staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at Canaima for 12 days and it was the best decision we ever made. The location, the decoration, the staff. It was all amazing. We got in late because of the time our flight got in and it's a little trek from San Jose to Santa Teresa, but that is not a problem. As soon as we got in we were greeted by Marta and shown to our room and Juan Carlos had left a nice little note for us. The next morning we met Juan Carlos and he is a really great guy and extra personable. He told us about all of the places to eat at in Santa Teresa as well as where the grocery stores were and all of the "happenings" in town. Marta and Jaime who worked the front desk were super awesome and friendly. Anything you needed or wanted to know they were more than helpful. We also got to know them and become friends with them. We you are here you feel like family and that it's just an extended home. I loved the decoration of the rooms and how everything was so open. The jungle is your back yard. Our room also had a gas stove and a refrigerator which was awesome for the nights we just wanted to stay in and cook. So I see some people complaining about no A/C. It's really not that bad and if you feel it's "that bad" believe me your body will get used to it and you will start to realize that you don't really "need" A/C. Also, people complained about the hill. That isn't that bad either. My girlfriend and I actually enjoyed the walk up and down it. The first time we were maybe a little tired, but that's the whole reason we came to Santa Teresa in Costa Rica instead of a resort, to get away from the stagnant American lifestyles. The beach is very close and I love how the community stops what they are doing to gather on the beach and watch the sunset. The howler monkeys would hang out in the trees and howl at ATV's as they drove by which was pretty funny. Canaima and everyone there is amazing and I can't wait to be back in Santa Teresa and at Canaima. Juan Carlos, Marta, and Jaime made our stay perfect and I can't thank them enough! Also, take some surf lessons from Juan Carlos. I took one later in the trip, but I definitely wish I had taken them more and sooner. He is an awesome teacher and very patient with his students.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Rome, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

In spite of the last several less than stellar reviews I feel compelled to share my experiences. We had visited Canaima Chill House back in March on a two week trip through CR.

This was the highlight of our trip. The property was beautiful both in its construction and in the aesthetic details. The open layout provided a "chill" atmosphere and a nice breeze. Juan Carlos (the owner) offered great hospitality and also great surf lessons.

Our itinerary was lax with the intention of being able to stay where we wanted for however long we wanted -- we spent the largest majority of time here. Feeling nostalgic this morning, I browsed across this page and was offended by the unfair whining going on in the past couple reviews. As Juan Carlos has already tactfully responded all that I can really say is to disregard the negatives and trust that this property is a must see on your travels. I hope to be back soon!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

The rooms are so cool and the service is perfect! They are always looking aftershave you. If you need something They help you.
There is always clean.
I liked the intalacions, the swimming pool with all the relaxing beds near, it is so confortable.
I had eat so good.
I have had a great time and if i can,I will repeat it!! Congratulacions!!!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

Exotic up hill jungle location, still close to the beach, shops and cafés. Rooms are large and have an almost outdoor shower.
The staff is the most pleasant ever experienced in a hotel.
Also the owner Juan Carlos is a great surf instructor.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Hate to give a bad review but..At first look this place is beautiful and looked like a little bit of paradise. A lovely plunge pool with hanging chill out beds set up amongst the trees. However after a cold shower at 2am to cool down and a restless nights sleep I really didn't want to endure this any more. This place really needs air conditioning!! The weak ceiling fans are not enough. Also the place has no privacy. The shower has a see through curtain and the bathroom only has some hanging wooden beads and curtains that don't close fully so don't expect privacy in the bathroom. I would recommend this place for couples only that dont mind sleeping naked and see each other shower/pee! I stayed here with a friend and to be honest would rather have some privacy in the bathroom/be able to sleep in pjs! the trek up the hill is also a pain and you are kinda stuck if it rains. difficult enough as it is climing up. yet I know this is well documented on the website that transportation is recommended. I would definitely agree you have to have transport!! Not really for the steep hill - I can handle that (a nice air con room when u finally get there would do a treat!!) but because this place is pretty far away from the main hub of santa teresa and a fair old trek from the intersection at Franks. also the owner was away on holiday when we were there and the largely unhelpful girl in charge didn't offer breakfast/surf lessons as advertised and seemed to know little of the surrounding area.despite 2 of the top restaurants recommended by trip advisor being in the close vicinity (Alma and Burger Rancho) she could only recommend pizza place A or pizza place B?! Sorely disappointed in this place and from the reviews expected more! have now moved to another place in santa teresa that is just a wee gem! looking forward to a sleep with aircon tonight!

• Stayed June 2013
canaimachillhouse, Gerente at Canaima Chill House, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Dear guest,

First of all apologies for not offering you what you expected during your stay at Canaima Chill House.
It's true that in Costa Rica it can get too hot and if you are not used to be with out A/C it can be an unconformable situation. For next season we will have some rooms with A/C.

About the privacy, we are an open space concept hotel. During 5 months of the year we have heavy rains and we need to have our rooms ventilated from the humidity.

The hotel is exactly 400 meters from the main road as documented on our website. This location permits enjoy the noises of the jungle and not the traffic and crowdedness down the hill. If we ever have any guests that want to be in the "main hub" we highly recommend them to stay in any of the other beautiful hotels down the road. Canaima Chill House is a little hotel made with love to make our guests enjoy their stay and their holidays. We would never want to make any "fake marketing" to attract guests and once they arrive, find a different product than what they saw on the website.

June is a very low season month and many restaurants close during this month, that is why the receptionist wasn't able to suggest you any other nice restaurants. Why wouldn't we want to recommend a nice place instead of a pizza place A or pizza place B? Our job is to make you happy.

We are going to go through ALL the information of our website and retouch the information that confuses people that want a different product than what we offer, so these confusions don't happen again.

Hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay in Playa Santa Teresa, and once again sorry for all the inconveniences you had during your stay with us.

PURA VIDA
Breckenridge, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I'm surprised by the 5 star ratings of the Chill House. It is a chill jungle oasis with an uphill hike from town, but I was expecting a little more. The grounds were dirty and unkept, ie:leaves in the pool, dirty cushions on chill deck, soap scum on shower window, sink basin, stained linens, broken hot tub..It wasn't perfect. The space is tight, your neighbors are on top of you. You have to be chill and whisper, or everyone will hear you. Not much privacy and felt like a hostel in that regard. For the price of $80-$100 per night, I was expecting a little more love and cleanliness. I understand it's rainy season, leaves fall, mud happens and we're in the jungle, but it was never cleaned up during the 24 hours. Our view was to construction and a green tarp in the back of the building. The staff was friendly and understanding when we asked to change/cancel our lodging after the first night, which we very much appreciate. We did see monkeys from our deck, which was awesome. I can see why people love the Chill House, but it's overpriced in my opinion. We expected more
based on previous reviews.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear guests,

We are very sorry for all the inconveniences that you mention on your review.

I was really surprised when you mentioned about the dirty room and talked to the housekeeper about this. We got to the conclusion that the room wasn't 100% clean because you arrived at the hotel at 8:30am and we let you do your check in at that time instead of at 2pm. If the room was not used the night before your check in, we normally go over the room before the check in, but as you arrived at 8:30 am the housekeeper didn't do it. We apologies for this.
You mention that the room was not cleaned in 24 hours. We clean the rooms every day once our guests go to the beach or check out, so if you would have stayed in the hotel, your room would have been cleaned once you left the hotel to spend your day.

It's strange but there is no constructions around the hotel. All the rooms have jungle views. The green tarp that is behind you room is to give some more privacy from the little path that leads to our neighbors property. We will do our best to make that look better.

It's a shame you didn't mention all this when I asked you if everything was ok, when you wanted to check out in advance telling me that you just had to change your plans. We would of done all our best to resolve these inconveniences and make your stay unique in a positive way.

As we worry about our guests I read the rest of the reviews that you wrote about Santa Teresa and we are happy that at least you enjoyed the rest of your stay in town.

Once again we apologies for everything that you mention on your review.

PURA VIDA!!!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We recently just met up with some friends at Canaima Chill House for the first time. They were there 2 years ago for their honeymoon and had could not wait to go back. Immediately upon getting out of the car I was in love with Canaima. You can not help but immediately feel relaxed. The staff member who greeted us was absolutely charming, quick and helpful. We were in our room in a matter of minutes. The grounds are well maintained and have a very zen like feel to them. Our room was gorgeous and despite the lack of A/C was very comfortable. We took our 8 year old son which we were a little nervous about seeing as 8 year olds are usually far from "chill" but even he seemed to really appreciate the laid back nature of the resort and spent more than a few days napping on the swinging beds. I would recommend taking a surf lesson with the owner Juan Carlos FOR SURE! He is a patient teacher who you can tell genuinely loves what he does.
A few words of advice: YES the resort is at the top of a very steep hill but we found ourselves hiking up and down multiple times a day with no problem. It can get a little slippery if it rains but never did it feel dangerous. It is work for sure but once you make it the top you can jump into the beautiful pool to cool off.
Although the resort itself is very quiet, you have to keep in mind you are in the middle of the rain forest. There are all kinds of natural noises around you. i.e birds, dogs, insects, lizards and MONKEYS! They all add to the experience though and after a little getting use to our quite calming.
I can not say enough wonderful things about the resort, the staff, the beach, the town etc... I absolutely fell in love with Canaima and Santa Teresa. I am already planning my return in November.
Make sure to pack some bug spray,a couple swimsuits, some sun block and flip flops.

Thank you Juan Carlos for such a wonderful experience!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family