“Amazing from the beginning....” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Canaima Chill House

You added Canaima Chill House to your Saves list
Canaima Chill House
400 metros al este del Hostal Brunelas, hacia el monte | Playa Santa Teresa, Santa Teresa 60111, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #6 of 30 Santa Teresa B&B and Inns
Orlando, Florida
“Amazing from the beginning....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

EVERYONE, I traveled to this hotel back when it was in it's infancy, back in 2009. Even then, this place was amazing. My uncle and I were traveling together and showed up in Santa Teresa with no where to stay. Bad planning. We did; however, find a hotel that recommended us to go to Canaima. JuanCarlos was so AWESOME. He stayed up until about midnight waiting for us to arrive. He catered to us and took very good care of us. This guy never stopped working the entire time we were there. If he wasn't building something, he was sweeping the street LOL. That was a nice day to come back to the hotel after a day at the beach to see JuanCarlos "sweeping" the street. The security in this place is great. I felt very safe with a patrol dog and secure front door that is locked in the evening. Also there were security cameras for extra protection. I never saw any violence in Costa Rica, but as with any foreign country, your things can be stolen at any time if you are not careful. Yes, the monkeys can be loud, but, hey, they are monkeys. This is what monkeys do. Also there are chickens and a whole world out there to hear. I loved it. A simple pair of earplugs and I slept like a baby. My uncle actually loved sleeping out on the swing on the porch. I woke up one morning and said, did you hear the monkeys and he says "what monkeys". LOL

This is the most amazing place and has been since the beginning. I have been back several times since then. JuanCarlos has done so much work and made this just a haven for peace and relaxation. Since my first visit they added so much, including a deck, jacuzzi, swimming pool and more. The people there are so nice and the community is very laid back and easy going. Take some surf lessons, ride a zipline, rent a four-wheeler, go for an adventure. This is the most amazing place. I love it. I miss it. I highly recommend this place for couples and for families. Even if you travel alone, this a wonderful place to relax, meet people or just take in nature. I cannot say enough about this place or this town. Just pack your things and go. You will not want to go home.

PS To the people that review that it's hot here and that they had to walk and the monkeys were loud, etc... You really should book an all-inclusive resort. This place is not for you. I should mention, however, that JuanCarlos could probably work in unlimited Gin Tonics into the deal. They are the best!! LOL

Room Tip: Book early, this place is very popular and gets filled up quick. Call JuanCarlos in advance if you...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

The walk up to Canaima was steep, but when you got in the door you were fill with calm!
The room/ apartment was beautiful :) The guys at the reception was very helpful.
The calm that was around the house was impressing. Juan Carlos gave great surf lessons quite cheep compared to the others in "town".
I will definitely stay here again! It was worth every penny :)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Canaima is like staying at a magical, rainforest treehouse and your good friends guest room at the same time. It's gorgeous yet intimate and peaceful, and Juan Carlos is an amazing host. His passion is contagious and inspiring. Santa Teresa is a must-see in Costa Rica - a great place to relax and have some fun in the sun. Alma was our favourite restaurant. They make the best mojito! I would love to go back one day.

Paulina and Scott

P.S. We got engaged while in Santa Teresa! Couldn't have picked a lovlier place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I can't rate this place enough. Not only are the rooms beautiful; but the staff were absolute heroes all week. Their advice and warm welcome was excellent. The rooms are beautiful. When I stupidly lost the key to our car rental they bent over backwards to help me solve the issue; helping me deal with the rather tricky rental company (Alamo- I do not recomend).

It has high end style in an authentic and rustic setting.

Having walked thru many other places as well I can honestly say this is the absolute best place to stay.

Thank you so much!!

Charlie M and Kate T

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

I spent a whole week of summer at Canaima with my brother J, it was a long flight and then a bus and ferry to get to Santa Teresa, we were exhausted but when we arrived to the Hotel we had no question about choosing the right spot and the right place to stay! I was looking for a chill place to enjoy nature and disconnect from London´s hectic lifestyle while my brother wanted a place next to the a 'breath taking' beach to surf as much as possible. @Canaima we found that and much more, few hotels around the world has that unique style. Rooms are huge, amazing views from the cost and sea, owners are friendly and always willing to help, clean, safe, lots of small architectural details made out of stone and bamboo, hanging beds in the large terraces and a hot tub surrounded by Santa Teresa wildest nature! Definitely a place I would recommend to friends, family and colleagues.
Matias

Room Tip: We had one of the rooms on the first floor, as far as I remember there are 4 rooms per floor, the on...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

I will come back sure!! Close to the Beach, and very beautifull hotel!!! It has been a nice experience.
I was there with my wife for a week and it was our first time in Costa Rica and visit other places, But the beach of santa Teresa Its one of the most beautifull of the country

• Stayed August 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

I celebrate my birthday with friends And family. I will never forget this increible hotel and vacations.
Location close to nature and the beach.
Confortable and clean room and bathroom.
Incredible the nights and the Jacuzzi :-)
Hope I can be back Soon.

Awesome! Thank again Canaima!
Samuel

• Stayed May 2012

Been to Canaima Chill House? Share your experiences!