“Absolute perfect! I recomend ir 100%” 5 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
Save Saved
You added Canaima Chill House to your Saves list
Canaima Chill House
400 metros al este del Hostal Brunelas, hacia el monte | Playa Santa Teresa, Santa Teresa 60111, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #10 of 31 Santa Teresa B&B and Inns
“Absolute perfect! I recomend ir 100%”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

I will come back sure!! Close to the Beach, and very beautifull hotel!!! It has been a nice experience.
I was there with my wife for a week and it was our first time in Costa Rica and visit other places, But the beach of santa Teresa Its one of the most beautifull of the country

• Stayed August 2012

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

I celebrate my birthday with friends And family. I will never forget this increible hotel and vacations.
Location close to nature and the beach.
Confortable and clean room and bathroom.
Incredible the nights and the Jacuzzi :-)
Hope I can be back Soon.

Awesome! Thank again Canaima!
Samuel

• Stayed May 2012
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We were excited to stay here because of the TA ratings and the lovely pictures. The sad truth of this place is that, while it still looks very nice, it is waaayyyyy up the mountain. The climb is extremely steep which isnt that bad if you're up for a big workout every time you go back to your place but it is extremely inconvenient. Packing a full day bag every time you leave is not very fun...especially since it means that someone has to watch it while you're in the water. Furthermore, the sound proofing in the hotel is awful. We could hear people's conversations even if they were talking softly... not the right place if you want romantic privacy... or any privacy for that matter. Most of the time we had to whisper so not to disturb our neighbors... or let them in on our conversations.

We elected to leave after 2 days of this torture... and the owner would not refund any money even though it was peak season and lots of people were around looking for rooms.. all in all it was a terrible experience and i would not recommend this place.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
canaimachillhouse, Owner at Canaima Chill House, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear guest,

First of all, we are very sorry to hear that your stay didn't go as good as you planned it. We apologise for the inconveniences.

I just wanted to suggest that when you are travelling and booking a hotel, you should get informed about where exactly the place is located. We do give precise directions on our website and acknowledge our future clients about the hill recommending them to rent all track vehicle. And if indeed you read our reviews on Trip Advisor, as you mentioned it, many of our guests talk about the hill and give their own recommendations. So it shouldn't have been a surprise.

About the noises and privacy, it is the location up the hill that keeps us away from the main noisy dusty road and town, making Canaima Chill House a magical place where outside the rooms the sounds of the nature and our sounds travel easily. The building of the hotel itself was built with anti-seismic walls, which are thick and resistant, which also make them soundproof. The outdoor decks are indeed outside, open to the jungle, and only a bamboo curtain separate one deck to the other - just like shown in our pictures.

About not returning your deposit, if you read our cancellation policy, we should have charged you the amount of your entire reserved stay, BUT we only charged you the days you stayed with us no more.

Once again, we want to apologise for not making your stay as you expected.

Pura Vida

Juan Carlos Lascaray
Owner and manager of Canaima Chill House
Panama City, Panama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We have been there in September 2012 for 5 nights. The hotel is not directly on the beach but a little bit up the hill (5 min. walk to the beach). The owner, a spanish guy who moved to Costa Rica to fulfill his dream of his own hotel was very helpful and was very keen on his guests to feel comfortable. You can feel the passion that has been put in the hotel when being built. Unfortunately some things should be fixed or renewed again.
The rooms with a nice atmosphere are quite big and have private bathroom, shower, fully equiped kitchen, iPod-docking-station, private terasse with table, chairs and a bed hanging down from the ceiling. It so is the perfect place to relax yourself (that's what the name says). There is no AC, but under the mosquito-nets over the bed there is a fan for a cool night. There are several geckos taking care about the insects, yelling from time to time. If you want to have breakfast you have to tell them the afternoon before, it will cost you $ 10 (we never had breakfast, but bought something for ourselves at the supermarket). Otherwise there a several Supermarkets, Cafés and Restaurants in walking distance (The manager has some good advices where to go).
We have arrived one day after a bigger earthquake (7.6 on Richter scale), which was the reason why it was not possible to use the pool - we though could use the hot-tub. Due to the damages from the quake the road was affected, especially on the day after arrival when it was raining for 16 hours. We were a little worried that there could be a landslide because of the loose ground due to the main earthquake and the multiple daily occuring aftershocks, especially then when there was no electricity one night. The manager was reassuring himself that night, that we feel comfortable, he came to our room asking us if we needed anything, before he again took care about the hotel (draining the water around it).
All in all we enjoyed our stay, still our room could have been a little bit cleaner, we also did not like the real low water pressure when taking a shower and the blocked sink of the shower. While my girlfriend enjoyed the presence of the two german shepard-dogs, I kind of did not really like those smelly but well-tempered dogs (if you don't want to have them around, just tell them to leave).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

We stayed here two nights (kicking ourselves for not staying longer) and could not have been more pleased. AMAZING rooms with a huge front porch area (including a hanging bed), you can make it as open-air a possible. Could not believe how the place looked...it was like something out of dream. Absolutely gorgeous bungalows on top of a hill. Yes, it is a little bit of a hike, but my fiance and I managed to hike up and down on foot many times. Lord knows we could use the exercise! If a hike isn't your thing, get the atv. You'll need it to explore/get the most out of your trip anyway!

Another thing...the customer service is absolutely top-notch. Super attentive and friendly staff, not to mention Juan is such an amazing host. He gave us so many spot-on, fantastic recommendations for dinner/things to do. Even suggested a quick trail/hike up the mountain, that my fiance proposed to me on!

Can't thank this place enough for showing us such an amazing experience. Completely out of this world. There are a few great places to stay in the area, make this your #1 to check out!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
boise
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

I have to say that this would not have been on my list when I visited Costa Rica recently. However a friend of a friend insisted we go there and I am glad we listened and made the reservation ahead of time. Santa Teresa is a surf town with beaches and is on the tip of the Nicoya Peninsula about 5 hours from San Jose by car and ferry. It is not the easiest place to find or to get to but once we were there, we didn't want to leave. Juan Carlos has created a haven that would be enjoyable anywhere but here it is 1st class. The road is bumpy and I'm not sure I even wanted to go there but now I am trying to figure out a way to create a hanging bed where I live. The have one on the open deck overlooking the pool and as I was swinging back and forth reading and relaxing, I found myself wanting to move there. It is clean, Juan Carlos and staff provide 5 star service and will help in any way possible. Using the enormous shower with a view of the jungle surrounding was heaven. I wanted to have one of these at my house. It is open air if you choose and I realized as I was there why they call it the Chill House. I was more relaxed than I had been in years. A little out of the way but well worth it.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are similar.......there isn't a workout facility but if you walk into town for...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

My girlfriend and I have just completed 4 months of travelling around the world including South America, Costa Rica, California and Hawaii. The Canaima Chill House is the only place I stayed at where I have been motivated enough to write a review.

From the moment we walked in the door we had a truly amazing experience. Juan(owner), Lexi and their staff drop everything and go out of their way to make sure that you have a great time. On the first afternoon they even invited us down to a local bar to meet some of their friends, which really set the tone of how our stay was going to be like. As soon as you asked any of the staff a question, they would pick up the phone and get you what you needed.

Juan is also a fantastic surf instructor, super patient with my girlfriend who was learning for the first time and taught me a lot handy new tips even though I have surfed for quite some time.

The other thing I have to mention is the design, which is a real little paradise. What I love is that Juan designed the place from scratch from top to bottom. The rooms are amazing, it was so nice relaxing on the day bed or swimming in the pool.

We were so sad to leave, but will definitely be going back.

Justin Stafford

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Canaima Chill House? Share your experiences!