“Beautiful, helpful, comfortable, safe” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Buenisimo

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Santa Teresa
Hotel Buenisimo
You added Hotel Buenisimo to your Saves list
100 mts south of the church, Santa Teresa, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #12 of 30 Santa Teresa B&B and Inns
“Beautiful, helpful, comfortable, safe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012 via mobile

After staying at a less than desirable hotel, I found Buenisimo online and was lucky that they had a cancellation and a room for us. Charlie, the owner came and picked us up from our other hotel down the street. He then showed us to our casita which was beautiful and had a great view of the ocean. He then went above and beyond to take us to the other side of town for the bank and the grocery store to pick up some things for the room. The breakfast was huge and tasty! Its also in a great location near a grocery store and across the street from the beach. Would definitely come back!

• Stayed April 2012

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Long Beach, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

I met someone on the ferry from Puntarenas who tipped me off about Buenisimo. We stayed in the garden room because we did not rent an AWD vehicle and did not want to walk up and down that steep hill! Which is just as well, because wifi has a hard time reaching the casitas, which by the way are beautiful!
There is no pool, but that's ok because the gorgeous beach is right across the road! If you must use a pool, you can go down to Mal Pais to Vistas De La Olas and pay a minimum of 8000 colones to the bar/restaurant and use their infinity pool (recommended at sunset!).
There are hammocks and a pool table by the kitchen. The breakfast, only $7 is HUGE... the pancakes are either banana or pineapple with fruit, coffee and a smoothie! And eggs too!
Room was clean, AC worked very well and quietly. Safe with a big padlock. the gardener can be a paid driver if needed.
Ryan, the proprietor is very cool and helpful with traveling tips, more like a buddy letting you stay at his house than a business person...
Very happy I stayed at Buenisimo.

Room Tip: You really need an AWD vehicle to use the casitas and get full enjoyment out of a trip to this part...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

My boyfriend and I just got back from our first trip to Costa Rica. After a stressful first day of travel from San Jose, during which our AWD rental car was unavailable and we were given a sedan to drive some of the worst roads imaginable (at night!), it was such a relief to arrive safe and sound to the comfort of Hotel Buenisimo. We arrived much later than we had anticipated, and Ryan had the maintenance man/gardener wait up to greet us. Sensing our travelers anxiety, Ryan was super helpful by recommending places for us to go and also gave us detailed directions to make our drive back to San Jose easier. He had a very laid back and caring demeanor which made us feel extremely welcome and comfortable there.

The hotel itself was a little slice of heaven. The grounds were beautiful and the rooms was very well kept. It is placed conveniently close to the market and beach access. Every time we left and came back, it felt more like we were coming home than coming back to a hotel room. I can't say anything about this hotel that hasn't already been said. Everything about it is just great. I wish businesses in the US were run like this. We're already talking about returning to Buenisimo with the whole family and staying in one of the big casitas up on the hill. And hopefully by then our Spanish will have improved so we could tell Claudia how delicious her breakfast was, especially the pancakes.

Something I would like to mention is that staying here was like a nature excursion on its own. Just around the hotel we saw tons of birds, butterflies, iguanas, an anteater, a scorpion, and Moe of course, the resident horse.

I'm not sure if it was all the excitement during the day, the fresh air, or the comfy room, but we both slept like babies every night and woke up very refreshed. I wish I slept that well at home!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Henley-on-Thames
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

It is not my place to 'review someone else's review' but I thought it important to place my own (hopefully) fair and balanced report to counter the other garden room review - which is the ONLY blot on the Buenisimo's otherwise spotless record! (go figure). Their high rating speaks for itself and the owner is obviously too cool to write a rebuttal, so please treat this an 'equaliser' that needs to be written by someone who actually took a garden room recently.

I really did my research and the garden view room is great value for a single traveller and more so for a couple (albeit with less space!). For only $35 you are getting: a nice clean room with a double bed and bunk single above; a good sized bathroom; FREE A/C; a useful safe; the biggest & best breakfast ever for FREE; and finally (because you are next to reception) you have WiFi in your room 24/7 (the casitas don't). Apparently, in addition to this some people expect to have the mess in their room cleaned up and to have a telephone! (there is a telephone a few yards away in reception with a list of all numbers required).

The layout at Buenisimo IS a bit unusual. The reception/breakfast/pool-table room is a large
structure at the bottom of the hill. The garden view rooms are at the rear of this but have a small table and chairs and pleasant leafy aspect. A path leads from here up the hill to the casitas and then at very top is the owner's house. As nothing really happens in reception
in the evening, it IS very quiet but the friendly gardener/handyman seemed to stay in the room next to me and provided a feeling of security. Maybe he's always there and there is actually only one garden view room? - check with the owners about that!

Although I booked the visit through Denise I never met her in the five days that I was there but Charlie seems to pretty much manage the face-to-face stuff as far as I can tell ... and he's an entertaining larger-than-life character! He'll rent you a surfboard and advise on local breaks but just to warn you that his big old longboards have 'had a life' and if one has broken before it MAY do so again... happened to me but Charlie was totally fine about it. There is one decent 7' epoxy board that is pretty indestructible and I'm sure those longboards are fine for Charlie's lessons. (For the more serious surfer, the surf shop down the road and to the right does you a good rate for a few days but check the leash carefully and ask them to change it if it looks dodgy and might break).

Location-wise the hotel is really well placed - near to a beach entry point, the supermarket, surf shop and a few restaurants but far enough from the busy, dusty strip to barely hear it. The garden view rooms are closer to the surf etc without the 'casita climb' back up, but indeed those casitas ARE beautiful - book one or at least walk up there with your camera if you are staying at the bottom.

Er ...forget needing lunch! The breakfast is amazing: a huge pile of fresh tropical fruit with eggs and rice 'n beans, alternated daily with pancakes and syrup; plus filter coffee refills AND a fruit smoothie. I would surf beforehand if I was you.

A few last points:

The room is nice but compact and there is no wardrobe or drawers. Solution? Keep your bags etc under the bed. For me the advantage of A/C and sleeping well far outweighed a bit of ongoing 'stuff management'.

The safe is on the small side, it wouldn't take my 15" laptop - a 13" might just go in.... maybe?

The gardener has a hose at the well right outside - useful for cleaning road dust/sand off your feet.

Once the casita people have eaten breakfast the place is pretty quiet apart from Charlie's occasional riotous games of pool. Don't expect a social whirl here - but it's great for reading or surfing your laptop undisturbed!

Surfwise, there are rocks to be aware of and a rocky platform underfoot near the beach entry. Just a graze in these tropical waters can become a nasty ulcer. Scope it out at low tide and head south a bit for the sand. Past the rocks to the north are the more tubular waves of Santa Teresa.

I'm not telling any one else how to review but there are genuine bad experiences out there or ones perceived as such due to expectations. In my opinion, always try and sort it out at the time - BEFORE you go away and write a review that loses them customers. If they are still failing or unpleasant: sure, give 'em hell! But don't review a $35 B'nB in Costa Rica as if it were a Hilton!

I am just saying this because I could easily have NOT booked here and that would have been a shame. Luckily I decided to use my common sense. Perhaps the garden view room is not to everyone's taste but you are getting a LOT for 35 bucks (a girl moved out due to my booking but then came BACK the minute I left!).

Hope this helps ...

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Portland, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

3 of us stayed in one of the hotel buenisimo casitas for a week and had a wonderful time. The casita had everything we needed and more. When looking at places to stay, the deciding factor for us was breakfast. Each morning Claudia made us the most fabulous breakfast alternating between gallo pinto, eggs, fresh fruit & toast or banana pancakes, eggs & fresh fruit. Also included was a delicious smoothie and coffee. Breakfast was so great that lunch wasn't even necessary. This way we were able to fully indulge in dinner out at some of the really great restaurants in town. We would finish breakfast and then head out to enjoy the day, around 3 or 4 we would swing by the market and pick up some snacks (avocados for fresh guac, baguette and local cheeses) and retire to our hillside casita deck to swing in the hammocks and take in the breathtaking sunset.
Charlie was so helpful in making sure we had a great time while in Santa Teresa, suggesting good places to eat (pretty much everywhere!), and hooking us up with some friends of his in chartering a sailboat out of mal pais, which was really amazing. We had the sailboat all to ourselves!
Hotel Buenisimo is really the perfect place to stay if you are visiting Santa Teresa. It is away from the dusty road, away from the sounds of the town and neatly tucked into the hillside where we could enjoy our natural surroundings from an exceptional vantage point. One day while walking up the path to our casita I saw a family of howler monkeys pass overhead! So cool! Also got to see a blue morpho butterfly for the first time. A magical place to relax; comfortable, clean and super friendly all around. Stay here!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

This is the perfect place to stay if you are visiting the Santa Teresa area of Costa Rica. The hotel has three fully furnished casitas, and two? rooms - all set among the trees well above the (very) dusty main street of Santa Teresa.

The rooms are at the main lodge and easy walking distance to all the activities on the main street and to the beach. The casitas are set in a lush tropical forest, well above the main lodge - a good climb up if you do not have wheels (four wheel drive is best). There is a somewhat rugged but most interesting, path throught the trees, that takes you to the main lodge, where they serve a wonderful breakfast (included) and have other amenities such as pool tables, library of books, etc. The casitas themselves are very private, well furnished, have a large outside deck with hammocks, and have an amazing view over the ocean. All are carefully constructed of beautiful local wood, not luxurious, but spacious and perfect for the location. Our casita had air conditioning but we used only the ceiling fan as we prefer the natural cooling from the ocean breezes. They are the perfect place to relax, get away from the dust of the town, and enjoy nature and gorgeous sunsets.

Because it is a somewhat challenging climb up the hill to the casitas, we walked the path to go for breakfast but the rest of the time we drove down to the lodge and parked our car there - then walked into the town where everything is available - a grocery store is only a block away.

Charlie was most accomodating, with helpful advice on what to do in the town.

Room Tip: WIFI only at the lodge. All the casitas are well located and spacious but it is a good hike up the...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
East Lansing, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

Went with my sister for a week, and had a awesome time! We stayed in the casita, and had amazing views while relaxing on the hammocks. We were kept busy all week by Ryan, first time to Costa Rica and we were able to see so much in just a week. I still dream about the banana pancakes that Claudia made, and everyone was very friendly and helpful. I felt that we definitely got our money's worth and had a blast. I am certainly looking forward to my next trip to Hotel Buenisimo!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Buenisimo? Share your experiences!