“Now I have to start saving so I can go back!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cabinas Calocita

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Santa Teresa
Cabinas Calocita
Main Street | 100m north of Super Ronny 1, Santa Teresa, Costa Rica   |
New York, New York, United States
“Now I have to start saving so I can go back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I loved this place, we decided to minimise travelling around and took a gamble on it being a good choice (based on reviews) and it was! If I had the money I would just live there. I could get used to that lifestyle, of waking up wandering to the beach for a swim, coming back, brewing some coffee and reading in the hammock whilst my husband went surfing. The owner was always around for advice and tips, the cleaning lady was lovely too. We thought we would have to stay in dorms until we found this gem and I am so so happy we did; this made our holiday totally enjoyable; perfect location, excellent value, large clean comfortable rooms, we will be back!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

51 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
San Clemente, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Some of my favorite things about Calocita include: comfortable hammocks; banana trees; iguanas lounging in the sun; the excellent surfboard shack; being in walking distance of the Pacific Ocean; games in the upstairs lounge area; Chris's unending knowledge and sensible recommendations; being in walking distance of Super Ronny's. The owner and innkeeper, Chris, always knows what's going on - he makes it easy for you to enjoy your vacation. If you have a question, he probably has an answer. My room was super tidy and offered all the basic amenities - sharing a room with a friend was no big deal. There is a guard dog, so it is best to be contact the owner ahead of time to let him know when you expect to arrive.
The only two rules at Calocita are 1.) do not feed Lilly (the guard dog) 2.) use the outdoor shower to rinse off sand before using the indoor shower in your room, which keeps sand out of the hotel's pipes, preventing any crazy plumbing problems. Totally sensible. If you're wary of dogs, Lilly is super chill. I also appreciated having her around, not just because I love dogs, but I felt safer with her there. Santa Teresa is not dangerous, but it's like any other popular tourist destination wherein people will steal your stuff if you're not careful. All in all, this place was great. I am already looking forward to my next visit!

Room Tip: If you like to go to bead early and/or you're sensitive to noise, request a room away from the k...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Velbert Langenberg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

Just stayed there recently and i was very happy that i found this nice little place. Spent three weeks in Costa Rica and no other accomodation was comparable to this one. Clean rooms (private bath) with good beds very close to the ocean that is what you get for just little money. The owner created a nice and friendly atmosphere where it is easy to feel safe and comfortable. I stayed longer then i wanted. The shared kitchen was very useful and the hammocks are great. It is a quiet place just of the main road (NO dust!!!) but still close to all amenities. Don´t know whatelse to say......just check it out on your next trip....it is worth it.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Kittery, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

I stayed in Cabinas Calocita for 5 nights and loved it. The rooms were super clean and spacious. I had my own bathroom and use of the kitchen. The beach is very close and the owner is very helpful. Very affordable and very enjoyable!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Finnsnes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

I and my girlfriend stayed here for 9 days (!) and had the place could be bether. The location is perfect - just steps from the supermarket, stores, surflessions and beach.

The owner, Chris, was great. When we came with the bus at the evening he came and met us at the bus and walked us too the cabinas. He also helped us with everything, like where we should go and what to do.

The security was superb. He had a dog and security cameras and we always felt safe.

Would stay there next time!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Essen, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights and were really happy with this place. The owner is very friendly, can give you good advices regarding the restaurants, supermarkets, surf spots and so on in this small town.

The hotel itself is a really good bargain. For 35 USD you get the cleanest rooms I've seen in CR (I travelled alot there in 2008 and also 2011. Furthermore many other countries and I've never seen rooms that clean in this category). The rooms as well as the bathrooms are spacy and bright. Nice, modern showers with warm water if you need it, good beds with really good mattresses, a ceiling fan and a "normal" fan. Furthermore there's a fully equipped, clean collective kitchen and a nice little garden.

The hotel is far enough away from the "main-road" to be calm at nights but still close enough to the beach (2 min.), to the supermarket (1 min.) and to restaurants and bars. The owner Chris keeps the place calm so you won't have drinking parties in the kitchen at nights for example. Later than 10 p.m. it's totally calm there. So a really nice place to stay for families and couples or singles who want to relax:) There are enough hammocks and a chill-out zone to do so.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

Chris, the owner, was very mindful of our safety and always had someone at the hotel if he wasn't around (which he usually was). He was very friendly often making jokes with us and checking in to see how our stay was and if we needed anything. Anytime we needed advise on where to go or what to do his comments always proved correct and even saved us from a disaster or two. The hotel itself is set up from the street to avoid noise and dust and has beautiful flowers, an outdoor beach rinse-off shower, and is beautifully maintained. My room and bathroom were spacious and very clean. I slept very well there with both an overhead fan and room fan at my disposal. We had access to the kitchen (also very clean) if we needed it, but the hotel was so centrally located that we were able to walk a short ways to try the different restaurants each night. Probably the best part about the hotel is the close proximity to beach access as well as the surf shops.

I can't speak enough good words about the relaxing atmosphere the hotel provided. It is the perfect place to stay for people that want to spend the majority of the day venturing out to try new things but what a close and clean 'home base' to return to. This bargain hotel turned out to be a hidden gem. I would recommend it to any and everyone.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Cabinas Calocita? Share your experiences!