“The best view on the Nicoya Peninsula!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gumbo Limbo Villas

You added Gumbo Limbo Villas to your Saves list
Gumbo Limbo Villas
400 mtrs East and 200 mtrs South of Brunelas Hostel, Santa Teresa 60111, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #19 of 30 Santa Teresa B&B and Inns
San Clemente, CA
“The best view on the Nicoya Peninsula!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

I've been travelling to Costa Rica once or twice a year for fifteen years. In the past, I've always travelled with buddies, usually on surfing missions and have explored the better part of the Pacific side of the country. Now that I'm married with a 3-year old daughter, I was looking for accomodations that were clean, hospitable, safe for children and romantic for my wife and me.

I've been opting for the Santa Teresa/Mal Pais area for the last few years, due to it's plethora of good surf, proximity to Montezuma's waterfalls and culture and it's decidedly cosmopolitan feel (i.e. There are more Argentinians, Italians, Spaniards and Israelis than Americans in this area, which is a good thing in my book).

This was my first stay at Gumbo Limbo Villas, a new "boutique" hotel operated by an American (Sonny Redding) and his Italian partner Michaeli (sp?). Perched in the hillside above Santa Teresa, Gumbo Limbo not only has a commanding view of the oceanfront (and surf breaks) along this stretch of coast, but is also seemingly immune to the heat and dust found amongst the numerous hotels along the town's main (and only) road.

We stayed in the master villa, Villa Indio, a two-bedroom suite with a private outdoor shower and bathroom and a beautiful infinity pool overlooking the town's soccer and baseball field. All of the doors in Villa Indio fold open to maximize the indoor-outdoor feeling. A flat screen TV on the wall with built-in DVD player kept our daughter occupied before bedtime and although there was no A/C, we never found it necessary, due to the cool breeze on top of the hill (I'm guessing that the air is cooled as it moves through the dense foliage on the way up). Both rooms had fans and the master bedroom had a large and comfortable bed, while the "living room" had a comfortable futon couch and another couch that you could easily sleep on. The master bedroom also featured a safe big enough for a laptop and my Canon EOS 20-D, as well as wallets, passports, iPods, etc.

The in-house restaurant, Nona Teresa was a daily hangout and the boys served up some wonderful meals, including fish tacos and pasta bolognese.

In short, we had a great experience at Gumbo Limbo and I will be returning to stay in December. Guests should be aware that Gumbo Limbo is on top of the hill up a private road, so although not necessary, a rental car or ATV is recommended (both can be rented in town or nearby Cobano). Also, the property is terraced and I counted 65 steps from the restaurant to Villa Indio, so be prepared to get a little quad workout (I was huffing and puffing on day one, but by day three I was clambering up the steps as if it was old hat).

I'd encourage potential guests to visit Gumbo Limbo's website at http://www.gumbolimbocr.com or to contact Sonny by phone at [--] or email at [--]. He was truly one of the nicest, friendliest and most hospitable proprietors I've ever come across.

Pura Vida!

p.s. The reason that I only gave Gumbo Limbo 4 out of 5 for cleanliness is that this is, after all, Costa Rica. Bugs and lizards are the true locals!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Lakewood, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2009

The drive south from Liberia could be a bit intimidating for those not accustomed to unpaved roads where you will problably encounter atleast one standoff with a bull along the way, but I assure you that when you make it to the top of the hill it will be well worth it! Upon our arrival, we were welcomed by the staff and sat down to a wonderful meal overlooking Santa Teresa and the beaches that surround it. The villas were everything I had hoped for and more. You are literally perched on the side of a mountain, butted up next to a surrounding nature preserve complete with monkey families who make daily passes through the tree tops. The infinity pool was a bonus for my kids after long days in the sun, and the sunset views from the front porch were second to none. The elevation of the villas provides a one of a kind reprive from the dust of the dry season, as well as cooler temperatures and almost no airborne insects. The staff made us feel like part of "the family" from the minute we got there until the minute we left. We'll be back to Santa Teresa again, and won't consider any other place than Gumbo Limbo!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Oceanside, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2009

Gumbo Limbo is conveniently located in the small village of Santa Theresa. The area has some of the best beaches, waves, and pura vida vibe Costa Rica has to offer. With an elevation of 400ft., Gumbo Limbo provided our stay with a quiet atmosphere amongst lush green vegetation and nature sounds. Our villa was nothing short of perfect...outdoor showers, plush living area with large flat screen tv/dvd, king sized bed, and vanishing wall doors that opened the bedroom and living room areas to the mesmorizing oceanview and beautiful pacific sunsets. Food at the restaurant was extremely tasty and fairly priced with views of the surf. The hotel is located directly in front of Santa Teresa's premier surf spot and a short 8 minute walk down the hill. Even if just for a single night's stay, I would recommend anyone traveling through this area to experience this amazing accomodation.

Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
so california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2009

It is well worth the trip up the hill to Gumbo Limbo to see the best views in the area. The owners are kind and genuine people who are work hard to make their place the jewel that it is. The casitas are comfortable and tastefully decorated. I have saved the best for last. ALL food in Costa Rica is great. We've traveled all over the country many times and never had a bad meal. So I when I say the food was the best food we've had in Costa Rica, it says a lot. In fact, I would go as far as to say it was the best Italian food we've every had anywhere. Thanks for a great stay and best of luck guys! We will be back.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2009

GL is located on one of the Highest points along the Mal Pias, Santa Teresa, Hermosa, stretch of coastline. #1, the view over the lay of the land and surf breaks rules, (zero guess work on where to surf that day, #2 out of the dust, (nonpaved roads in town = dusty environments down below), #3 An awesome dining environment with a view, (Home cooked Italian rules) , #4 - quality is first class without breaking the bank. #5 Oh yes, you will get to see Mono's up close!(monkeys) 3 families share the environment as GL has had limited impact on the Mt.

Still in it's first season, there are normal issues that are being addressed. (some maintanance/improvements are in progress-NO nail pounding though) As time goes on GL will be running smooth.

The drive up is worth the efforts, even if it's just for a Sunset Drink or two.

4 Wheel Drive would be helpful and I would say a must if you travel during the rainy season.

Pura Vida!