Just returned from another stay at Gumbo Limbo Villas in Santa Teresa. Made the annual pilgrimage to Costa Rica's fun zone, this time with the boys. Booked out the hotel and scored South Swells in Mal Pais and Santa Teresa for ten days straight. Surf was anywhere from chest-high to double-overhead and absolutely pumping, which is par for the course during May-July.
Staying with Sonny and Michele(sp?) is always a good time and the services keep improving each year that I return. The food at the restaurant is always spot-on, with yummy after-surf breakfasts and a dinner menu that, although consistently influenced by Michele's Italian heritage, is constantly evolving and never ceases to amaze the palette.
Guest services have definitely improved, as well. I think that this is partly due to customer feedback and part of it is just the learning curve of running a boutique hotel. Maid service has stepped up a notch, the rooms have a bit more personality with some art on the walls and the addition of air conditioning is a bonus, although not entirely necessary in my opinion. (Gumbo Limbo is on top of the hill overlooking town, so the dry, dusty air that that can be almost suffocating at the street level is cool and refreshing after making its way up the foliage-covered hillside).
Ten days of surfing, eating, sleep and repeat at Gumbo Limbo is a recipe for rebooting. The friendly and accommodating atmosphere enhance the Pura Vida vibe that embodies the Costa Rican experience. At 41, I want it served up on a silver platter, and Gumbo Limbo consistently performs. Do yourself a favor and book a stay!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Gumbo Limbo is a unique bed & breakfast located in the hills of Santa Teresa, just 2 minutes to Santa Teresa beach and town. Along with stunning ocean views, Gumbo Limbo's central, hilltop location provides seclusion- a nice break from the dust and bustle of town, while being only a 2 minute drive to the beach and main road. A 4x4 vehicle, which is generally better for Costa Rica roads, is recommended to reach our property. Each of our villas is surrounded by lush, tropical nature, giving total privacy, comfort, and a real feeling of being in the jungle. From every corner of our property, you can find amazing ocean and mountain views. Our beautiful infinity pool is the perfect spot to relax and watch the best sunsets Santa Teresa has to offer. A full breakfast is included in your stay. It is served each morning in our ocean view dining area. Some of our breakfast options include granola and yogurt with fresh fruits, eggs with gallo pinto, or pancakes, all served with fresh Costa Rican coffee. Our guests are our priority. It comes natural for us to host people and make new friends, so it is our pleasure to cover every small detail and accommodate our guests' needs so that they have the best time while staying with us. Many of our guests have told us that their experience visiting Gumbo Limbo felt more like staying with old friends, than staying at a hotel. Whether it's sharing a surf session or an Argentinean asado together, we look forward to having you!! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Gumbo Limbo Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gumbo Limbo Villas Hotel Santa Teresa
- Gumbo Limbo Villas Costa Rica/Santa Teresa