“A Beach Bum's getaway” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Luz de Luna

You added Hotel Luz de Luna to your Saves list
Hotel Luz de Luna
600m North the Soccer Field | 600m North the Soccer Field, Santa Teresa, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #16 of 31 Santa Teresa B&B and Inns
San Jose, California
“A Beach Bum's getaway”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

I cannot say enough about Oscar, the caretaker who was there while my family and I stayed here last summer. My father had a knee infection and ultimately had to take an emergency flight home. Oscar was instrumental in us finding local clinics, affordable taxis, and making the ferry back to San Jose in time.

That being said, these rooms were great for a family traveling on a budget. I was a little surprised to pass by two-story homes of local Ticos on the same road to get to the "Hotel", but the rooms were affordable, had basic kitchen utilities, and access to a pool. The beach, restaurants, surf shops, and grocery store were all a very short walk away. I also liked that there were hammocks, free wifi, and a book exchange library. We were the only people staying at this facility so it was peaceful.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

We stayed here for a week and we didn't want to leave! So beautiful and peaceful... Christoph the owner was very nice and helpful. The room was very comfortable and we just loved it. Excellent value for money. We will definitely return

• Stayed August 2011
Oakville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

We stayed at Luz de luna with our 2 young children. The room (our own bungalow) was very nice and charming with a mini kitchen. At night it even feelt like we were sleeping IN the jungle. So exotic!... even if it can be a bit scary for very little ones with wild imagination.
Santa Teresa is a wonderful remote place but Hotel Luz de Luna made our experience even more special!
Virginie the owner was there our whole stay and she helped us so much with tips and ideas for our day trips. Made everything so much easier !
We liked it so much that we are actually thinking about going back next year.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Milwaukee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

I just found this place to be very charming. The style of the bungalows was so cute and eccentric. We had monkeys dropping mangoes on our roof which sounded scary but was funny at the same time. I loved the semi-outdoor shower. It is attached and enclosed, however the roof is slightly raised and separated not to mention a little translucent so you get a lot of sun and feel like you are showering outside. There is no hot water. It is cool to lukewarm, but it was pretty hot so it was quite refreshing. No ac, but since we are across the street from the beach it cooled down in the evening and the ceiling fan was very strong. There is a nice deck in the back of the bungalow with a hammock for relaxing.

The owner was very nice but a little disorganized. When we arrived she had to bring all of her keys to find out which one worked for our room. We had a special package where we needed to select hotels/inns from a certain list and breakfast was supposed to be included. So when she served us breakfast I did not pay as I figured this was implicit. Well the last morning, two young boys who were like 9 or 10 walked in and started talking to her while we were eating. She comes up to my husband asking him to pay for breakfast (she seemed nervous so I felt bad). I explained to her that this was supposed to be covered. Sometimes I had a hard time understanding her because although I speak Spanish she has a heavy French accent in her Spanish which confused me.

Anyway, she explained to me the boys were there to "collect" money for their mom who I guess was a partner and she needed the money from me to pay them. Well we worked it out so once she realized we were promised breakfast with our voucher. I just wanted to share this story because my husband and I found it funny that two 10 year olds came by to "shake her up" for money. It didn't ruin the experience at all, it was just a little awkward. I would still recommend, just watch out for those 10 year olds!

It also rained the last night and we had no power anywhere in Santa Teresa. You never realize how essential electricity is until you are in that situation. It was an adventure!

I love Santa Teresa, by the way, way more than Jaco.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2009

It was a very nice place like every on dreamed for holiday .
The see is very near
everything is very clean
You are not incomoded by any thing.
Sure that i will com back to this place

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Luz de Luna? Share your experiences!