We stayed a week at the camp. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Some rooms have air conditioning and you may want it depending on the season. We were there in November and a fan in our room was fine. We stayed there because it was farther from town (Mal Pais/Santa Teresa) and were looking for a quiet vacation/beach. This camp is just that, if you want great surf or want to learn to surf at a uncrowded beach, this is it. If you want to people watch and party at night stay in Santa Teresa. The staff could and did set up a taxi ride to town if needed but it is a long walk otherwise.
I can't say enough good things about the staff. They were accommodating, attentive and very friendly. The meals are included in the package and are homestyle (eat with the other guests and staff). The meals were mostly Tico style and were fantastic and the conversations started at dinner and lasted into the night. After the first day we felt like family.
If you want a casual friendly atmosphere with a staff that truly loves this place and wants to share its treasures, secluded beach and surf, this is the place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located just 5 minutes North of Mal Pais and Santa Teresa, is the highly desirable upscale neighborhood of "Playa Hermosa." Shaka Beach Retreat is a private haven offering an alluring example of modern tropical architecture, nestled in the tropical jungle surroundings, home to monkeys, birds, and fruit trees. A short walk leads to one of the most beautiful quiet beaches the country has to offer. Perfect for swimming, relaxing on the sand, and all levels of surfers. Join us for our popular Surf and Yoga Retreats, offered year round. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Shaka Beach Retreat Hotel Santa Teresa
- Shaka Surf Camp Hotel
- Shaka Surf Camp Santa Teresa
- Shaka Beach Retreat Costa Rica/Santa Teresa