“Amazing getaway” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shaka Beach Retreat

We can't find prices for this hotel
Shaka Beach Retreat
Save Saved
You added Shaka Beach Retreat to your Saves list
200 M Norte de Escuela | Village of Playa Hermosa, Santa Teresa, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #10 of 25 Hotels in Santa Teresa
Aspen, Colorado
“Amazing getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Get away from crowds, noise and the pressures of everyday life at this amazing retreat on the Pacific coast of Costa Rica! This place is all about chill! Beautiful cabinas, great fresh food and conviviality served in the community area. What better way to spend a day than to wake up, grab some good Costa Rican coffee and a surf board and head to the beach for a surf lesson; after a couple of hours catching some waves, head back for a healthy, refreshing breakfast and hang out in a hammock with a good book. Later in the afternoon, wander down to the yoga platform for a class! Get your prana on while listening to the sounds of jungle birds and monkeys. This place is one of the best kept secrets around!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
San Mateo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

We didn't stay on the property but we took 3 days of surf lessons from the team at Shaka (Mike, Chris, Max). Their instruction was outstanding. They successfully took me and my sons from "beginner" level to the point where we could paddle out for the larger waves.

I highly recommend the team at Shaka for surf lessons

Oh, and by the way, the beach (Playa Hermosa) is phenomenal. Not only is it beautiful but the waves provide enough variety to satisfy the beginner and the advanced surfer.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014 via mobile

Our stay at Shaka was exceptional in every way. Our disabled daughters had no trouble with access and we found the day to day service to kind, personal and thorough. The rooms, food and activities were excellent and the beaches and waves were perfect! Can't say enough about Shaka - except that everyone should go - more than once:)

• Stayed February 2014
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

Shaka was great, from the private rooms to hanging out with everyone in the rancho. There is everything you need for a relaxing and adventurous vacation. Megan the yoga teacher is by far the best and will give you a good butt kicking or help you to relax and stretch out after a day of surfing. Brent and moe are a great team and really love to teach people to surf! The food every morning and night is amazing, he really knows what is doing from his homemade salad dressing to the best tuna I've had cooked for me in my life! Maria and Carlos really help to keep the place running and looking great! I will be back again!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

My 7th time there!! Best service! Best rooms! Great yoga as well. Everytime I am there I come back refreshed and renewed as if I was reborn!! I will continue to keep coming back as long as they will have me!!

• Stayed December 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

This is our 5th time back to Shaka Beach Retreat and every time we've visited we have had a truly amazing and unforgettable experience. This go around it was just me and my husband but we have also had fun bringing our friends and family with us. I would also note that this is perfect resort for solo travelers - we have met many during our stays.

The location - I love that it is nestled in the small beach community of Playa Hermosa 10min drive away from the hustle and bustle of Santa Teresa/Mal Pais. The community is quaint, quiet and very family oriented family oriented. Playa Hermosa its truly one of the most breathtaking and memorizing beaches I have ever seen - as someone who grew up in Hawaii I feel as though my beach extremely are very high. Each time we have visited we have rented a car either in San Jose or Liberia and drove to the resort but you could very easily get by without renting one - taking a quick cab into town for lunch or dinner or renting a quad for a few days to explore would suffice. There is also a store within walking distant which is really convenient.

The Resort - love the community meals together. We've had the pleasure of meeting some of the most wonderful friends from all over the world through our visits to Shaka. The rooms are perfect for sleeping as most of the time there is spent surfing, hanging out on the beach, or in the hammocks. Great for unplugging and relaxing. The monkeys also come right through the resort on a daily basis which is really neat. Each time we've visited the food has been great though this last time there was a new chef who definitely kicked up the culinary experience a notch (Thanks Josue). Light breakfast before surfing (coffee, fruit, cereal) followed by an amazing brunch before yoga every morning (more fruit with yogurt or oatmeal and an egg dish with potatoes or toast -YUM). Dinners were also great - lots of fresh caught fish with veggies and on Friday nights the owners make homemade pizza for everyone - heaven for sure! The owners and the resort staff are also really nice and go above and beyond to tend to any need we've ever had (Thanks Chris, Krista, Maria and Carlos!).

Surf and Yoga - the surf instruction is world class - this go around we had surf lessons with Chris (one of the owners) and all I can say is that he is an awesome instructor. Not only does he have decades of experience but he is also very patient and gives lot of instruction and tips - every time we've visited our surfing has greatly improved and Playa Hermosa is the perfect place for beginners to learn. The yoga was also great - love the new private yoga shala that is now on site (Thanks Megan and Kristen). It literally feels like you are doing yoga in the jungle.

We are already planning our next trip back! Love this place!!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Wantagh, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

I traveled with a friend to Shaka a few weeks ago and it was absolutely the trip of a lifetime. The rooms were very clean and comfy and as other mentioned, the AC is a nice bonus. Breakfast and dinner were some of the best meals I've ever had. Every night I felt like I was at a quaint, fun little dinner party where everyone shared some laughs and wine while feasting on the most delectable locally sourced food (tip: they don't serve alcohol, but wine and beer is easily purchased in town and stored in a communal fridge). What truly made it such a memorable experience though was the staff, especially Megan (yoga) and Brent (surfing). Megan's classes suit every experience level and her positive, calming energy is contagious. Brent is patient and informative and had me up on the board on the first day. On top of all this, the ocean is 80 degrees, the sunsets are gorgeous and the ATV-ing is indescribably fun. I hope to make it a yearly trip.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Shaka Beach Retreat? Share your experiences!