I spent my spring break 2008 at Shaka Surf Camp in the company of old friends and new friends in the form of the staff at Shaka. We were about the first guests at the camp, and were welcomed as family by Greg & Greta, Frank, and Chris & Co.
Away from internet and cellphones, attuned to the rhythm of the tides, eating simple, delicious food, and surfing my heart out, I sloughed off the stress of living in the US and got the quietude to listen to my body, stretch, and sweat, be salty, nap in a hammock. I got patient, kind, and expert surf instruction from the staff, and have been surfing on my own at home ever since.
Shaka provided a genuine vacation at a fair price, so that my experience and interactions there did not feel commercialized, and I had a spiritual week. I will definitely be returning.
- Also Known As:
- Shaka Beach Retreat Hotel
- Shaka Beach Retreat Hotel Santa Teresa
- Shaka Surf Camp Hotel
- Shaka Surf Camp Santa Teresa
- Shaka Beach Retreat Costa Rica/Santa Teresa
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located just 5 minutes North of Mal Pais and Santa Teresa, is the highly desirable upscale neighborhood of "Playa Hermosa." Shaka Beach Retreat is a private haven offering an alluring example of modern tropical architecture, nestled in the tropical jungle surroundings, home to monkeys, birds, and fruit trees. A short walk leads to one of the most beautiful quiet beaches the country has to offer. Perfect for swimming, relaxing on the sand, and all levels of surfers. Join us for our popular Surf and Yoga Retreats, offered year round. ... more less